Big Mango

Big Mango

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the Big Apple, to the Big Orange, to the Big Mango. It does have a kind of nutty logic to it. Bangkok is about as far as Eddie Dare can go without falling off the edge of the world, although at times Eddie wonders if that isn’t exactly what he has done.

Four hundred million dollars is in the wind, the result of a bungled CIA operation to grab the Bank of Vietnam’s curr...more
Published 2010 by Marshall Cavendish Editions

Farsidetravel
The Big MangoThe Big Mango by Jake Needham

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Jake Needham’s novel, The Big Mango, broke into the expat market at a time when detective genre and most books covering Thailand focused heavily on the Red Light District and clichéd burnt out expats and their jaded bar girlfriends.

With the release of The Big Mango, Needham joined the company of other great writers of Southeast Asian fiction such as Stephen Leather’s Private Dancer, and the detective novels by Christopher G Moore....more
Eric Fisher
I always like to use the highlighting feature when I read books on Kindle, but quickly stopped doing so as I read this book. Why? Because I found myself highlighting entire pages and soon decided I was better off just reading the book and enjoying every line of it. Everything you expect from an international thriller is there. Shadowy government figures, femme fatales, hit men, and con men are each rendered masterfully. What sets this novel apart and places it on my list of my favorites is the e...more
Greg
Gritty.

I picked this book up after reading two of Jake's Sam Tay novels. It is quite a contrast from the urbane, reflective existentialism of Tay to Eddie and Winnebago's adventure in Thailand. But, looking at it as a reader along for the ride, I enjoyed it immensely.

There are quite a few holes in the novel. Eddie's family relationship goes nowhere. His San Francisco backstory isn't very meaningful. Certain sub-plot elements seem to go along a certain path and fizzle. Messy. But, each one of the...more
Ardita
This is one of 2 mass market paperback krimi novels about Bangkok and a non fiction book. Catching up on my reading before the city spits me out in 60 days..

Needham flows gently with steady pace. It's definitely a very easy reading to wind up your weekend. The story might be predictable and cheap, but it uncovers bits and pieces of Bangkok most visitors would have heard or thought about. But, have you really?

It's Bangkok before skytrain era, when the traffic was worse than Jakarta. Two former Am...more
Rob Kitchin
The Big Mango was Needham’s first novel and it and his subsequent novels have all sold well in Asia. It’s competently written and plotted, with some relatively straightforward prose, some nice observational passages and occasional comic flourishes. Dare is a rather ordinary character and it’s the folk around him who add the colour. Bangkok is well detailed and there’s a good sense of place, giving a view of the city from a Western perspective. The plot was simple enough, with effectively four gr...more
Paul
This was the 3rd Jake Needham book I have read, and so far the best. If you like action, suspense, mayhem, and a few killings all in an exotic (Bangkok) location search out The Big Mango, or any of. This author's books.
P.S. Finding printed copies can be tough, I got the three I have in Hong Kong, but Amazon has the kindle versions of most of his books for. $4.99, and he has. A new book or or two coming in 2014.
Adam
Aug 17, 2008 Adam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thai Travelers, Mystery Fiends, Tuk Tuk Drivers, Lady Boys
Shelves: fiction
A mildly entertaining adventure novel set in Bangkok, Thailand. Only picked it up as I had run out of reading material in The Land of Smiles and figured I'd grab a read of local relevance! Somewhat humorous at times but primarily a mystery novel that does in fact keep the pages turning.

Less than a literary masterpiece and not necessary to read more than once. However, if you are familiar with lady boys and tuk tuk rides than it might be worth checking out!!
Chris
I enjoyed that the book starts out in Vietnam and ends up in Bangkok. The main character was mostly interesting and I thought the whole idea of finding lost currency reserves was pretty interesting. The main thing I enjoyed was reading about Bangkok while being here. I read it quickly and moved to the next Needham book I saw - Laundry Man. I'd recommend Big Mango as a solid, stand-alone book to occupy you for a day or two.
Alan Petersen
What a great book. Intriguing characters, beautiful international locations, mystery, action, all rolled up in a taut thriller that takes the reader from San Francisco to Bangkok and beyond.
Daniel
Loved this book, all the humour and intrigue that you'd hope to find in Bangkok !
Reminds me if the old style cool writing they made movies out of for guys like Sinatra.
Swartzbg
Swartzbg marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Liz Conti
Liz Conti marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kanwar
Kanwar marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Cyd Madsen
Cyd Madsen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
David Graham
David Graham marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Jake Needham
Mar 09, 2014 Jake Needham added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Stwnsh
Stwnsh added it
Dec 30, 2013
chengie
chengie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Palmreader
Palmreader marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Twinkle Lady
Twinkle Lady marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
JAKE NEEDHAM is an American screen and television writer who began writing crime novels when he realized he didn’t really like movies and television very much.

He is a lawyer by education. Prior to becoming a screenwriter through a series of accidents too ridiculous to be believed, he held a number of significant positions in both the pubic and private sectors where he took part in a lengthy list...more
More about Jake Needham...
The Ambassador's Wife  (Inspector Samuel Tay, #1) Killing Plato (Jack Shepherd #2) Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1) A World of Trouble (Jack Shepherd #3) The Umbrella Man (Inspector Samuel Tay #2)