Start by marking “Manna from Heaven” as Want to Read:
Manna from Heaven

Manna from Heaven (The Chronicles of Amber #11)

This new collection includes all five previously uncollected "Amber" stories, plus the prologue from the rare limited edition of Trumps of Doom, and 16 other fantasy and science fiction stories (including a collaboration with Harlan Ellison).
Published May 29th 2006 by Wildside Press (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Manna from Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manna from Heaven

Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories by a master. There are some that are unique to this book, a few others are scattered about. Best of all, there are most of the stories that help fill in the Amber series. I think there are 3 of them, while there are 4 total. Not positive, though. Anyway, if you like fantasy short stories, I highly recommend this - if you can find it! (No, I won't lend out my copy.)
May 27, 2013 Evgeny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
This is a collection of short stories from the master of sci-fi, notable for having all of the last stories from Amber.
Oct 04, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it
I don't normally enjoy reading short stories because it generally takes me so long to grasp the setup that I'm only just getting comfortable with the voices or the settings when the stories end. Many of Zelazny's stories, though--and the ones in this collection in particular--are purposely obtuse at the beginning so it's easier to just embrace the confusion and still enjoy the ride. His way of deftly turning expectations on their head and redefining the context of what one thinks one knows is in ...more
Mar 27, 2008 Ken rated it really liked it
This book of short stories is a mixed bag, but well worth reading if you've enjoyed Zelazny's other work. Zelazny is the author of the Amber series, which I've read and reviewed here in the past. The stories in Manna From Heaven are drawn from work he published between 1964 and (posthumously) 1996. It concludes with five short pieces that take place in the Amber universe.

In the introduction, writer Steven Brust glows and gushes about Zelazny's genius, praising his ability to "simultaneously conf
Nicholas Whyte[return][return]I confess to being a little underwhelmed by this collection. Zelazny was one of my favourite authors, but all the good stories here were ones I had read before. (And what is the point of the title? One of the stories here is "Mana from Heaven" but the extra "n" changes the meaning entirely.) It was interesting to realise that the same character pops up in "Kalifriki of the Thread" and "Come Back to the Killing Ground, Alice, My Love ...more
Nov 28, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Previously uncollected stories by a true master of the genre. Some of these stories actually took my breath away, I was so drawn in by the writing. "The Furies" in particular was a real gem. Unless someone discovers a chest full of unfinished/unsubmitted fiction, this is likely the last collection that will see print by this remarkable talent. Highly recommended if you can find it.
May 21, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
The only other thing I've read by Zelazny is the Great Book of Amber. This book let me see what else he is capable of, and I loved most of it. A few of the stories I found a bit boring and/or confusing, but it amazed me how often he was able to surprise me. Overall, it was very enjoyable.
Jan 22, 2013 Ron rated it did not like it
This book was quite a beating to get through. With all of the short stories in it, you would have thought that I would find something enjoyable but I can't say that I enjoyed any of them. I'll give one of his Hugo award winning books a try and hope that his strength is in full-length books.
Jan Heiman
May 27, 2008 Jan Heiman rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was hard to get, and quite expensive. It was worth it, though-- it contains short stories set in the Amber universe.
David rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2011
Scott rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2007
Carly rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2008
Anton Popov
Anton Popov rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Jonathan Miller
Jonathan Miller rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Paul Spence
Paul Spence rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Lee Betonklotz
Lee Betonklotz rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013
Michael Kranjcevich
Michael Kranjcevich rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2009
Liam rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Starhawk rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Linda rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012
Lucasthegray rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2008
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Professor rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Max rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Carl Lund
Carl Lund rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2013
Nathaniel Mathews
Nathaniel Mathews rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2008
Unkec rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Danijel Tadic
Danijel Tadic rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on
  • The San Veneficio Canon
  • Partners in Wonder
  • The Green Leopard Plague and Other Stories
  • The Lord of Castle Black  (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #2)
  • The Sowers of the Thunder
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
  • Ancestral Shadows: An Anthology of Ghostly Tales
  • This Forsaken Earth (The Sea Beggars, #2)
  • Dark of the Gods (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • The Turing Test
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 9
  • The Thrawn Omnibus (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Oddest of All (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #3)
  • Men, Martians and Machines
  • All the Way to the Gallows
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...

The Chronicles of Amber (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Sign of the Unicorn (The Chronicles of Amber #3)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Courts of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #5)
  • Trumps of Doom (The Chronicles of Amber, #6)
  • Blood of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #7)
  • Sign of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #8)
  • Knight of Shadows (The Chronicles of Amber #9)
  • Prince of Chaos (The Chronicles of Amber #10)