Manna from Heaven

Manna from Heaven (The Chronicles of Amber #11)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This new collection includes all five previously uncollected "Amber" stories, plus the prologue from the rare limited edition of Trumps of Doom, and 16 other fantasy and science fiction stories (including a collaboration with Harlan Ellison).
Published May 16th 2006 by Wildside Press (first published November 10th 2003)

Jim
A collection of short stories by a master. There are some that are unique to this book, a few others are scattered about. Best of all, there are most of the stories that help fill in the Amber series. I think there are 3 of them, while there are 4 total. Not positive, though. Anyway, if you like fantasy short stories, I highly recommend this - if you can find it! (No, I won't lend out my copy.)
Jason
I don't normally enjoy reading short stories because it generally takes me so long to grasp the setup that I'm only just getting comfortable with the voices or the settings when the stories end. Many of Zelazny's stories, though--and the ones in this collection in particular--are purposely obtuse at the beginning so it's easier to just embrace the confusion and still enjoy the ride. His way of deftly turning expectations on their head and redefining the context of what one thinks one knows is in...more
Ken
This book of short stories is a mixed bag, but well worth reading if you've enjoyed Zelazny's other work. Zelazny is the author of the Amber series, which I've read and reviewed here in the past. The stories in Manna From Heaven are drawn from work he published between 1964 and (posthumously) 1996. It concludes with five short pieces that take place in the Amber universe.

In the introduction, writer Steven Brust glows and gushes about Zelazny's genius, praising his ability to "simultaneously conf...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://www.livejournal.com/users/nhw/303943.html[return][return]I confess to being a little underwhelmed by this collection. Zelazny was one of my favourite authors, but all the good stories here were ones I had read before. (And what is the point of the title? One of the stories here is "Mana from Heaven" but the extra "n" changes the meaning entirely.) It was interesting to realise that the same character pops up in "Kalifriki of the Thread" and "Come Back to the Killing Ground, Alice, My Love...more
Daniel
Previously uncollected stories by a true master of the genre. Some of these stories actually took my breath away, I was so drawn in by the writing. "The Furies" in particular was a real gem. Unless someone discovers a chest full of unfinished/unsubmitted fiction, this is likely the last collection that will see print by this remarkable talent. Highly recommended if you can find it.
Ron
This book was quite a beating to get through. With all of the short stories in it, you would have thought that I would find something enjoyable but I can't say that I enjoyed any of them. I'll give one of his Hugo award winning books a try and hope that his strength is in full-length books.
Christine
The only other thing I've read by Zelazny is the Great Book of Amber. This book let me see what else he is capable of, and I loved most of it. A few of the stories I found a bit boring and/or confusing, but it amazed me how often he was able to surprise me. Overall, it was very enjoyable.
Jan Heiman
This was hard to get, and quite expensive. It was worth it, though-- it contains short stories set in the Amber universe.
Evgeny
This is a collection of short stories from the master of sci-fi, notable for having all of the last stories from Amber.
S
The description for Manna From Heaven is completely wrong
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Jul 21, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Daniel Callahan
Daniel Callahan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Scott Turner
Scott Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Magdalena
Magdalena marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Barley
Barley marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Sandra Bruel
Sandra Bruel marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Marji Macy
Marji Macy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
  • Roger Zelazny's Shadows of Amber (Amber)
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
  • Echo: Desert Run (Echo, #3)
  • Partners in Wonder
  • Old Nathan
  • Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1)
  • Deus Irae
  • Sethra Lavode (Khaavren Romances, #3: The Viscount of Adrilankha, #3)
  • To Ride a Rathorn (Kencyrath, #4)
  • The Silkie
  • Luminous
  • Mindscape
  • Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • The Magestone (Witch World Series 4: Secrets of the Witch World, #2)
  • Involution Ocean
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • Falling Out of Cars
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career, which share the inve...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber (Amber Chronicles, #1) The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos (Amber Chronicles, #5) The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)