Start by marking “A Restless Spirit: The Story of Robert Frost” as Want to Read:
A Restless Spirit: The Story of Robert Frost

A Restless Spirit: The Story of Robert Frost

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"When I was young, I was so interested in baseball that my family was afraid I'd waste my life and be a pitcher. Later they were afraid I'd waste my life and be a poet. They were right."
Published September 15th 1998 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Restless Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Restless Spirit

Georgia Herod
May 07, 2016 Georgia Herod rated it really liked it
This biography of Frost details the events of his frequently unhappy life (insecure, restless), his deep love for Elinor, his wife, and his children, and the way all of life was woven into his poetry.

Each chapter began with a poem, and a line from that poem served as the title of the ensuing chapter, with the chapters being chronologically ordered. Well-written, readable, most interesting!

Frost was a man with the poetic temperament, melancholy, given to roaming, feeling deeply, smitten by conv
Kay Pelham
Sep 16, 2014 Kay Pelham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful story. I don't know who deserves more credit --- Mr. Frost, for the life he lived, or Ms. Bober, for her way a telling his story. I have previously read Ms. Bober's biography of Abigail Adams, but found this book to be much more enjoyable. This one seemed lighter, not so bogged down with details, yet still so complete. Robert Frost endured much personal tragedies in his life, but continued to be driven by a desire to just be himself. His pure desire for learning and knowledg ...more
Bonnie
Jan 31, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it
A Restless Spirit was a pick-up at a library sale a couple of years ago that I finally got around to reading. It's a Young Adult non-fiction book about my favorite poet, Robert Frost. I really liked the way this story was told, in that it didn't talk down to younger readers but didn't go into depth with things that could be confusing like poetry interpretation and analysis. Throughout the book Frost's poetry is sprinkled and each chapter is a line from one of his poems. Like Frost's poetry, the ...more
Kathe
Apr 09, 2010 Kathe rated it it was amazing
This was an eye-opening sojourn into the poet's life. An easy, enjoyable, entertaining, and educational read. I was prepared to accept his fallibility and "not be too disappointed" in him; instead, I felt and new respect and admiration for him, and an increased love of his poetry.
Heidi
Apr 12, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
I knew Robert Frost had many heartbreaks throughout his life, but had no idea the full extent until I read this book. I loved learning more about him and seeing how despite the difficulties he faced, he clung to his dreams and his family and he chose happiness.
Juliet
May 03, 2008 Juliet rated it liked it
I like biographies for younger people, the pics and the stories. He had a painful but rich life and the author weaves the poems into the story. Well done. Makes me miss New England a bit.
Suz
Nov 25, 2008 Suz rated it liked it
An interesting story about a guy who in reality spent only a small part of his life in VT but is thought quite highly of by Vermonters.
Erin
Oct 22, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a good book. Natalie S. Bober is always my first choice for biography, because she is INCREDIBLY thurogh.
James Prothero
Mar 29, 2013 James Prothero rated it it was amazing
Great short bio. Lots of great pictures. Not the critical bio for a scholar, but great for a layman.
Marva
Jun 03, 2010 Marva rated it it was amazing
Robert Frost has an interesting life. This book included lots of pictures and was just the right length.
Paul Hiram
Apr 30, 2012 Paul Hiram rated it really liked it
A intimate glimpse into the heart of a non-conformist who did not shy away from the pain and beauty of life.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Lori Shulik
Lori Shulik marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Alexis
Alexis added it
May 01, 2016
Brunhilde
Brunhilde rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Sophonie Graham
Sophonie Graham marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Melanie Bradish
Melanie Bradish rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
k
k marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Lauriann
Lauriann marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 03, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Cori Rail
Cori Rail rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014