Start by marking “Mr. Glamour” as Want to Read:

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Something dark is preying on the glitz of the glamour set. DCI Jackson Flare and Inspector Mandy Steele investigate a series of bizarre killings targeting the wealthy and the glamorous. Cameras, designer labels, beautiful women and wealthy men fill the pages of this dark narrative that will keep you guessing until the unforeseeable end. All part of a gripping mystery novel ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Black Jackal Books Ltd (first published March 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Glamour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Glamour

Anastasia Fitzgerald-Beaumont
I’m a lover of high fashion, a lover of designer labels. There, I’ve said it! For me things are quite simple: I like elegant and well-cut clothes, clothes that complement the line of the body. I dislike fussiness, frills and fluffs. My favourite clothes are those designed by Jasper Conran and Elizabeth Grachvogel. I simply adore Jimmy Choo’s footwear and handbags.

Mostly I dress in a smart casual manner, with jeans and top, as well as a range of skirts, and I’m particularly keen on magic pants.
Jay Gertzman
This is certainly both a police procedural and a chiller, but it is also an anarchist philosophical novel just as significant as those by Michel Houellebecq. The latter writes of the human being's 20th century degeneration. He exemplifies it by the feckless, narcissistic, voyeuristic gratification afforded by zipless sex, New Age clichés, "you deserve it" advertisements, and the resulting absence of a developed inner life. (The Glamour Club in Godwin's novel is a perfect example).

Houellebecq env
Les Edgerton
While most readers and reviewers were drawn to the plot and the mystery of Richard Godwin’s brilliant novel, Mr. Glamour--as I was as well--I was struck even more by the setting. After all, once you know “whodunit,” usually there’s no reason to return to the book. In this case, there is. I’ve now read it twice and will read it several more times and it’s not to find out “whodunit” but to learn even more about both the psychology of the characters and to learn about a part of London I was sharply ...more
Christopher Grant
Jul 16, 2012 Christopher Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that wants a real crime story, a change of pace or just a great read
Recommended to Christopher by: Richard Godwin
Mr. Glamour is the outstanding second novel by Richard Godwin, following what I consider to be a "true mystery", Apostle Rising (true mystery because of the way that Richard plays the secrets close to his vest until it's actually time for the reveal, rather than on the third page so that you can read four hundred more about the protagonists trying to discover that the killer is Joe Blow when they already know Joe Blow is the guy they're looking for).

After having read Apostle Rising and not being
Joanne Parkington
Fresh and fast and very clever this read changes by the paragraph not just by the chapter. Richard Godwin has spun a wonderfully dark and spangled web of money and murder amongst the so called 'Glamour' set and sets about disposing of them in the most gruesome fashion .... However, two thing's stood out for me. Firstly, Steele & Flare feel like some kind of twisted homage to Cagney & Lacey and the whole style has an L.A Noir about it ... I had to keep remembering we were supposed to be i ...more
Elizabeth A.
In the world of the über rich it's all about image. Wearing the right clothes, driving the right car, dining at the right restaurants, being seen at the right hot spots and vacation locales. The fabulously wealthy know they are constantly being watched; that's the point. See and be seen, the more conspicuously the better. If only they knew he was watching them. Studying them. Photographing them. Obsessing over them. Mr. Glamour knows what matters to the jet set, understands their slavish dedicat ...more
L.A.
Article first published as Book Review:Mr. Glamour by Richard Godwin on Blogcritics.

Madness and psychosis has many forms. Surfing the internet you often come across many strange and bizarre behaviors that are eerie and horrific, but we rarely have those occurrences happen to us or those we know.

In Mr. Glamour by Richard Godwin, he brings us face to face with many of our own fears and nightmares. When a wealthy group of friends seemed to be targeted for murder in the most macabre fashion what be
Mike Stafford
Start out with the work of Nesbo, travel down through Bruen and to the depths of Mo Hayder, and keep going. When you think it can’t possibly get any blacker, you’re still nowhere near the darkness that is Richard Godwin. I’m reminded of an Attenborough documentary about the life forms living at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, where sunlight has never penetrated. This is the type of darkness that saturates Godwin’s second full-length novel, Mr Glamour.

Following 2011’s Apostle Rising, Mr Glamour
Brandon Nagel
The mind Richard Godwin creeps me out more than any other author writing today. In a good way. I look forward to reading anything he writes. A twisted ride into the lives of the rich and glamorous. A sadistic serial killer begins to pick them off. Who is the killer and why does he kill...
J.F. Juzwik
Review to come.
Ian Ayris
Mr Glamour opens thus:

She has the eyes of a pit viper and the mouth of an angel.
She parts her lips slowly,
Holding you in her cold green camera shutter eyes
Whose irises are segmented like fine sections of fruit.
She runs a manicured hand across the hard surface
Of her Vivienne Westwood snakeskin bag.
Her flesh is soft,
It will split like a peach skin,
You know the fine spray that shoots out from the fruit
On a hot summer's day
As you run the paring knife along the contour
Of the carved peel,
All those fin
Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw
BOOK REVIEW – RICHARD GODWIN – MR GLAMOUR
By Veronica Marie Lewis-Shaw

~~**~~

Readers of Richard Godwin’s APOSTLE RISING who wondered how Richard could possibly follow up on that brilliant and macabre masterpiece need wonder no longer. The question is answered resoundingly with Mr. Glamour, a tight, well-written psychological thriller written in Richard’s trademark noir / horror styling.

A novel rich in detail and innuendo, Mr. Glamour plunges the reader into the wickedness and debauchery of the ‘j
Julie
London’s smart set are used to being watched. They expect it. Possessed of immense wealth coupled with physical beauty, they live to be seen in the right places, with the right people, all wearing the right brands.

If they knew Mr Glamour was watching them, however, they’d very likely stay at home.

Mr Glamour understands them: how they think, how they behave, what they value. And that makes him all the more dangerous as he stalks and destroys them.

As members of the jet set are picked off one by on
Julia Madeleine
Richard Godwin is another of those talented British crime writers I've come to love. His style is unique--bold and gritty and entirely compelling. His second novel, Mr. Glamour (Black Jackal Books), is a dark and disturbing murder mystery with just the right amount of terror and suspense to keep you up late at night.

The police are on the trail of a cunning serial killer hunting London’s rich and famous, leaving a blood bath in his wake. A psychologically broken serial killer (aren’t they all?)
Aj
If I had to use a single word description (which is impossible) of Mr. Glamour it would be, "unflinching." Richard refuses to defuse the absolute reality of a psychotic killer's trail and the horrible scenes from the nightmares such killers leave in their wake. Every cop (and combat soldier) I know will tell you that you are a very fortunate person if you have never witnessed the things they see almost every day. They say it's impossible to soften such scenes, to forget them, that they leave a m ...more
Fran
Richard Godwin

Beautiful Can Be Dangerous

Many target the rich and wealthy just because they have money and others because they want what they have. Some pay heavy prices for being in the public eye and others just because they are glamorous and filthy rich. The world of fashion is exclusive to some who can afford the better designer labels. Knowing the ins and outs of fashion is not easy and those that are privileged to learn the inner secrets of this year’s latest designs are truly fo
David Antrobus
Having also read Richard Godwin's Apostle Rising very recently, I arrived at the soon-to-be-released Mr. Glamour in what I term the "Godwin mindset"; essentially, primed for a police procedural with significant elements of fairly graphic psychological and visceral horror. I wasn't disappointed.

First, though, allow me to dispense with a couple of negatives: the brave new world of independent authors is plagued with what I consider shoddy or inadequate presentation, whereby simple formatting and p
Graham Smith
Mr Glamour by Richard Godwin is a wonderful novel about a serial killer targeting the London glamour set. With taut terse prose and some marvellous insights Godwin explores a unique premise.

There is no soft soap anywhere in Mr Glamour as it is hard hitting in the extreme. Godwin pulls no punches and tells the story warts and all in a very authentic manner.

With cleverly constructed leads of Steel and Flare and an intricate plot there is little doubt that Richard Godwin is a rising star. Buy Mr Gl
April
May 06, 2012 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to April by: my brother
Shelves: mysteries
Now THIS is how a crime novel is written!! Mr. Glamour is hands down the best book I've read all year, maybe even ever!!

Unlike with other books where I have the suspect nailed down, Richard Godwin kept me guessing about the identity of Mr. Glamour. Even when Mr. Glamour's identity was revealed, Richard Godwin's writing left me wondering who Mr. Glamour truly is.

Is Mr. Glamour behind bars, or is he out on the town? We may never know!! Unless, of course, Richard Godwin writes a sequel!!

LOVED IT!!
Benoit Lelievre
The writing of Richard Godwin is original, bold and gets writers talking. Mr. Glamour is a giallo extravaganza that would make Dario Argento blush and request movie rights right away. It's a novel that builds on its layers to reach an absolutely crazy climax that not only lives up to the story, but that rewards the readers with a huge "HOLY SHIT" moment. Rare are the endings that live up to their stories, but this is quite the success. A great story about identity in an era where your ass belong ...more
Rick F.
A most facinating and compelling plot by a very talented writer!! Razor sharp prose, superb characterizations round out a truly fine achievement!
Gerard Cappa
Gerard Cappa marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Catalina
Catalina marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Brenda Seaberg
Brenda Seaberg marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Doris-Maria
Doris-Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Kinsley
Kinsley marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013
3520555
Richard Godwin is the author of critically acclaimed novels Apostle Rising, Mr. Glamour, One Lost Summer, Noir City, Meaningful Conversations, and Confessions Of A Hit Man.
He is also a published poet and a produced playwright. His stories have been published in numerous paying magazines and over 34 anthologies, among them The Mammoth Book Of Best British Crime and The Mammoth Book Of Best British
More about Richard Godwin...
Apostle Rising One Lost Summer Piquant Tales Of The Mustard Man Getting High on Daisy Meaningful Conversations