Start by marking “The Velocity of Honey: And More Science of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Velocity of Honey: And More Science of Everyday Life

The Velocity of Honey: And More Science of Everyday Life

Why does the journey to a new location always take longer than the trip home? What is the science behind the theory of "six degrees of separation?" Why doesn't honey flow out in all directions? In this delightful and amusing text, Jay Ingram explores the extraordinary science behind ordinary happenings. Ingram, host of the Discovery Channel Canada's "Daily Planet" and best ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Basic Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Velocity of Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Velocity of Honey

Angus Mcfarlane
Nov 14, 2013 Angus Mcfarlane rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book illustrates why science fascinates those of us who have invested our time and interest in allowing to curiosity to run free; even in the small details of everyday life, there are questions to marvel at and, occasionally, answers as well.

My wife thought I'd like this book and bought it for me. Turns out, like most things in life she was right. The book comprises a series of scientific anecdotes which in most cases address everyday phenomena. For example, why does the first tick of the
Rachel
Jun 11, 2007 Rachel rated it liked it
As far as explaining the weird physics and psychology of everyday life, I more than "liked" this book. It really was interesting and came up often in conversations with friends and coworkers. Were I to read it again, however, I would probably skip around more and read the chapters that really interested me rather than plowing through from cover to cover (something that my OCD-ness makes me do). It was also hard going from a very vibrantly written memoir to this. But I still liked it a lot, espec ...more
Colleen
Oct 08, 2012 Colleen rated it liked it
Recommended to anyone who wants a layman’s explanation of many scientific occurances which we all encounter in our daily lives but don’t necessarily think about or understand. Why does a buttered slice of toast always land butter side down? Why does the trip to a new place seem so much longer than the trip back home? Why do all women carry their infants in their left arm? Very interesting.
Kjersti
May 20, 2008 Kjersti rated it liked it
Kind of interesting, but not very compelling. While reading it I had a couple of "Oh, that's cool" or "I didn't know that's how it worked" moments, but otherwise kind of dry.
Rossdavidh
Oct 10, 2015 Rossdavidh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: white
The Velocity of Honey (Subtitle: and More Science of Everyday Life), by Jay Ingram

Ingram's book does have one chapter on honey, but really each chapter is its own topic. If there is any unifying theme, it is the same as the one that binds these three books together here: science can tell you something useful on almost any topic, and also discover questions we didn't even realize we didn't know the answer to. He doesn't just find a physics paper on the sport of curling that appears in a technical
Phil
Feb 18, 2014 Phil rated it liked it
A quick little batch of essays about the science of real world things. It's fun and easy although not strictly informative or in depth. Probably what you'd expect from the once-host of the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet. Being 10 years old doesn't impact the work too much as the problems are pretty universally interesting and confusing. Worth a look should the book pass your way.
Seanmallory
Jan 07, 2011 Seanmallory rated it it was ok
The Velocity of Honey is a great title and a great chapter in the book. As a matter of fact, the first handful of chapters are great. However, it begins to be noticeable that the Ingram ran out of topics as the book goes on. It's all very interesting, but when mystery turns to analysis, some of the flavor is lost. Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating to learn the reasons why things work. It's just that some topics don't need to be explained as much as others. Basically, I would recommend reading ...more
dejah_thoris
Apr 28, 2016 dejah_thoris rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice little book written for the layperson on various everyday science questions like why do stones skip or curling rocks curl? Great for light summer reading if you're used to reading nonfiction or a good entry level book for those who might like a change.
Dan Cohen
Jul 12, 2014 Dan Cohen rated it it was ok
A very lightweight popular science book. Although I applaud the overall Idea - a book that looks at various everyday phenomena and looks into the science behind them - I found too many of the chapters to be dull. In particular, the ones looking at psychological phenomena did not leave me feeling that I had learned a lot, or that the subject matter was really that interesting. I also got no sense that the author was in any way an expert. It feels like a book anyone could have written if they only ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 22, 2012 Jo Oehrlein rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book is a collection of essays accessible to the non-scientist on science reasons behind common phenomena. Chapters include discussions on the sport of curling, falling toast, why most people hold babies on their left side, and many more. Each chapter is short – 5 to 10 pages. The best parts are the descriptions of the tests created by scientists to verify their hypotheses. Also, Mr. Ingram is more than willing to admit when science doesn’t have all the answers. Much recommended.
Amy Wilks
Sep 17, 2011 Amy Wilks rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but some of the chapters became tedious. I know the author was trying to incorporate all of the pertinent data about each topic, but it would have been nice if he could have summarized and condensed things a bit more. That said, there are some fascinating data and studies about unusual things like why mosquitos bite some people more than others, why people can feel someone staring at them from behind, and why time seems to pass faster as we age.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Book about the science of every day life. I picked it up to pass the time in a bookshop a few months ago and found the first few chapters very entertaining. Then I spotted it in the library and decided I might as well finish it but didn't enjoy the rest of it half as much as I thought I enjoyed the beginning.

Mark
Mar 08, 2016 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
Theresa
Sep 17, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! This book explains scientifically why some things one knows to be true are in fact true. The chapters are entertaining--short enough to cover several topics and yet long enough to go into enough detail to give the reader enough information to feel satisfied.
Anarmaa
Jul 06, 2012 Anarmaa rated it really liked it
Simple, nice book trying to explain physics of everyday life. However, physics behind simple phenomenon is not quite simple. Well, don't afraid of what I just said. There is no number, math, theory, formula in the book :)
Colleen
Jan 19, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as 'The Science of Everyday Life' but it was still good. This book explains the science behind some of the mundane and interesting quirks of everyday life.
Ralph McEwen
Oct 05, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it liked it
Some interesting topics that get scientists to perform strange experiments to trying to find out how and why. They do not get many final conclusions but do offer several possibilities.
Jon
May 15, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it
Been reading this for a long time...

A descent batch of "short stories" that talk about the science of everyday life. I actually referenced this just yesterday..
Jo
Mar 24, 2013 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of some of the scientific mysteries, such as why do stones skip, the physics of curling and honey leaving the spoon, why leaves change colour...
Ian
Dec 10, 2007 Ian rated it liked it
Jay Ingram explains various scientific ideas buried in ordinary everyday experience. It's good, but lacks personlity that stripped-down science books need.
Kerrie
Jun 17, 2012 Kerrie rated it it was ok
Not a bad writer, but the chapters were a bit too long.Couldnt quite bring myself to finish it. Might try again when Ive had more sleep. ...more
Samuel
May 04, 2008 Samuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Snippets of interesting everyday science from all over the place.
Jonathan
Jul 04, 2007 Jonathan rated it liked it
It wasn't what I expected.
Tricia
Dec 15, 2011 Tricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Uneven.
Burcu Acar
Burcu Acar marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Vamsi Polapragada
Vamsi Polapragada rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Robin Mullen
Robin Mullen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • What Remains to Be Discovered: Mapping the Secrets of the Universe, the Origins of Life, and the Future of the Human Race
  • The Origin Of The Universe
  • The Engineer: Follow Elon Musk on a journey from South Africa to Mars
  • A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
  • Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies
  • The Homeschooling Book of Answers: The 101 Most Important Questions Answered by Homeschooling's Most Respected Voices
  • Stem Cell Now
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • The Photoshop Cs2 Book for Digital Photographers
  • The Nature of Things: The Secret Life of Inanimate Objects
  • Simply Einstein: Relativity Demystified
  • Adam's Navel: A Natural and Cultural History of the Human Form

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jay Ingram CM is a Canadian author and broadcaster.
More about Jay Ingram...