Nothing to Wear?: A Five-Step Cure for the Common Closet

Nothing to Wear?: A Five-Step Cure for the Common Closet

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  19 reviews
At last, a revolutionary solution to the age-old quandary of too many clothes but "nothing to wear!"

Whether dressing for a date or an important work presentation, every day millions of women throw open their closets, stare blankly into the abyss, and mutter, "I've got nothing to wear!" despite the countless dollars they spend on clothes and accessories.

At once simple a

Published March 2nd 2006 by Hudson Street Press

Michelle
I liked the way the authors encourage you to pare down to the basics of your closet and work out from there. I felt the overall appeal of the book is geared more toward the 20-35+ year old window, which is why I (as a mature 50+ woman) would take this book along with Christopher Hopkins for a full closet/wardrobe overhaul. Hopkins is more specific for the older woman's needs and challenges. They both contribute good insights ("feel-good talk" notwithstanding) and genuinely helpful advice for the...more
Rochelle
Do I have a style? Can I get one?

An informative, mildly entertaining book. I wish there were more pictures - it seems lacking in visual representation, even though that is precisely what they are preaching about - the effect of our appearance! A good library borrow.
Grace
The whole finding your style archetype and sticking to it didn't really work for me and several of the people who panned the book on Amazon. But several things they wrote actually resonated with me.

Most women think they are one to two sizes larger than their "ideal" size. They will make do with the clothes they have now and go shopping again when they are their ideal size. We shouldn't wait years--or a whole lifetime. We should always have clothes that fit and are appropriate for the life we liv...more
Sarah Stevens
I picked this book up at random at my local library. The title completely caught my eye. It is a quick read (although not so quick if you complete the steps as you go along). It had some useful tips that I found helpful in being more ruthless in weeding out my closet and focusing in on my personal style. And apparently I'm a Classic/Bohemian, although I'd like to move in the Chic direction (see quiz from book).

My main issue with the book, though, is that it didn't differentiate between 'need to...more
Norma
Mar 31, 2009 Norma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: self-proclaimed black belts in shopping
Who knew there was a method to the madness? I often find myself at a store buying whatever my emotions desire at that moment. This book - although expensive and very light reading with some obvious gaps in content - taught me to approach shopping with discipline. This hobby I call shopping can take over my spare time, my spare money, money I don't yet have and still I am left feeling like I have nothing to wear. With the 'visual therapy' from this book I have cleaned my closet; literally kicked...more
Michelle
Probably a magazine article more than a book was needed here: you fall into one (or two)of five fashion categories with one of four lifestyle choices (as you can imagine, I didn't feel like I fit - there is no sporty/modern category, and I'm somewhere between "vacation in Biarritz" "needs another powersuit" and "stay at home mom" in lifestyle choice... probably nowhere near any of those choices, actually.

Throw out things that don't fit your body or your lifestyle. You don't need a ton of clothes...more
MissJessie--former librarian
A very helpful approach to determining how to edit your closet and your image of yourself.

I found the advise to be sound, easy to follow, not "cutesy" or too trendy.

Not all the illustrations, of course, fit every person. But there is something in this book for everyone.

A good, solid bit of advice on how to establish a core wardrobe that fits your lifestyle, whatever it may be.

Hava
Jun 20, 2008 Hava rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The Clothing Challenged (like me!)
Nothing to Wear? A 5-Step Cure for the Common Closet by Jesse Garza and Joe Lupo was an interesting book to me. I tend to wear the same color over and over again: Black. It’s not because I’m obsessed with the color, but more because...

Click here to continue
Colette
A good book to get me excited to revamp my wardrobe. The steps seem straight-forward enough. I read through it, but haven't started following the process yet. This was greatly skewed toward working women, and didn't really say much about a casual wardrobe. Nevertheless, I want to take the things I learned and apply them.
Patricia
The information is quite useful although it requires a lot of leg work. They recommend you purchase a polaroid camera and to photograph different looks for various aspects of your life. It seems like a lot of work at first but this makes picking a look much more easier.
Meredith
If you have never read another book on style, shopping or wardrobe planning, then this has some helpful suggestions. But why waste your time when there are so many other bigger and better books out there.
Joy
This book is awesome! I thought these guys had really insightful ideas on how to revamp your wardrobe, and they have given me more confidence in my ability to style someone myself.
Amy
Very helpful and practical approach to cleaning out the closet and building a wardrobe that suits your real life! Beautiful fashion illustrations a bonus.
Joan
Clean out your closet! I actually use some of the ideas in this book, but obviously, I need to take it step further.
Amy
Just a fun way to look at your closet and your clothes to de-clutter and define your style.
Genevieve
This is one of those fix your wardrobe books. Made me want to go out and shop until I dropped. :)
Mckinley
Outline of how to find your style and build a wardrobe for it. Not any particularly new ideas.
Kyla Squires
Useful. Probably the best presented of this type of book.
Anki
Sep 16, 2009 Anki marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: style
Bookmooch
Kim
Kim added it
May 27, 2014
Kyle Doyle
Kyle Doyle marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Life in Color: The Visual Therapy Guide to the Perfect Palette--for Fashion, Beauty, and You! Work It!: Visual Therapy's Guide to Your Ultimate Career Wardrobe