Start by marking “Frost: Poems” as Want to Read:
Frost: Poems

Frost: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  560 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From one of the most brilliant and widely read of all American poets, a generous selection of lyrics, dramatic monologues, and narrative poems--all of them steeped in the wayward and isolated beauty of Frost's native New England. Includes his classics "Mending Wall, " "Birches, " and "The Road Not Taken, " as well as poems less famous but equally great.

POEMS INCLUDED:
Forew
Published June 24th 1997 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Frost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost

Qi
Jul 16, 2015 Qi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-books
Lionel Trilling said in his introduction of Anna Karennina (1951) "To comprehend unconditioned spirit is not so very hard, but there is no knowledge rarer than the understanding of spirit as it exists in the inescapable conditions which the actual and the trivial make for it". Trilling might have been talking about Frost, because in his poetry, the actual and trivial fully embodies a spirit both universal and particular.

Frost is often the opposite of the expansive, pantheistic and self-referenti
Greg
I don't read a lot of poetry, but I do have some favorites, and Frost is one of them. I find that his poems often speak to my heart, and resonate with something inside me, sometimes in ways I don't fully understand until much later. It is only on reflection, for example, that his "Good-by and Keep Cold" seems to me to bring some deeper insight into raising children and the need to allow them space to grow from adversity, and trust that God will bring them through.

"Into My Own" reflects what I h
dipandjelly
Dec 10, 2012 dipandjelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-favourites
'Was there even a cause too lost,
Ever a cause that was lost too long,
Or that showed with the lapse of time to vain
For the generous tears of youth and song?'

frost, frost, frost.
nothing more profound than the simplicity of his words.
how do you manage to band together such emotional turmoil from just stringing together 26 alphabets and barely any punctuation?
Zari
Sep 08, 2015 Zari rated it liked it
Shelves: poem, classic
All crying, 'We will go with you, O Wind!'
The foliage follow him, leaf and stem;
But a sleep oppresses them as they go,
And they end by bidding them as they go,
And they end by bidding him stay with them.

Since ever they flung abroad in spring
The leaves had promised themselves this flight,
Who now would fain seek sheltering wall,
Or thicket, or hollow place for the night.

And now they answer his summoning blast
With an ever vaguer and vaguer stir,
Or at utmost a little reluctant whirl
That drops them no f
Ricardo Signes
Feb 10, 2016 Ricardo Signes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Wonderful. If you read Frost in high school and weren't impressed, try again. His poems' stark simplicity and unsentimental tone really hit home with me.
Lenora
May 20, 2015 Lenora rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
In this quaint collections of poems, Frost proves colloquialism in poetry can be powerful and moving to readers of all ages. Having "a lover's quarrel with the world" was certainly an influential state of mind for him to have been in to allow his dramatic and lyrical genius to take center stage. The scenic renderings of rural life are pictures of literary perfection. My favorite compositions include The Pauper Witch of Grafton, October, The Sound of the Trees, Snow Dust, Fragmentary Blue, and Th ...more
Jessika
May 19, 2010 Jessika rated it really liked it
I'm not quite sure what exactly it is about Robert Frost, but his poetry just resonates completely through to my soul, as corny as that may sound. Maybe it's that he writes quite a bit about rural folk or maybe it's that he writes so beautifully and profoundly about the natural world. His writing is pure and simple beauty. I also love his conversational works like "Home Burial," "The Death of a Hired Man," and "The Generations of Men."

I just enjoy his poetry so incredibly much. It's perfect for
Stefanie
Apr 09, 2016 Stefanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
This book was my first foray into poetry. I chose Robert Frost because he was known to write about his New England surroundings. One poem I found I liked was My November Guest. This poem touched me because I’m surrounded by evidence of the changes of weather and plant life. Everywhere I drive I feel like I’m walking under the arm of seasonal happenings.

Going for Water is another poem I liked. It’s probably because it references to our current season is why I noted it. The rhythm of the lines was
Cassandra
Jul 01, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviews
It's a little unconventional, but my favorite Frost poem has to be wind and window flower.

When I think of the man, I recite:

She a window flower,
And he a winter breeze.

Even though many other poems are immensely popular, hell, I have fire and ice memorize ten million times better than wind and window flower, but when I read wind and window flower, there is such a helpless sad feeling, like grasping love when you can before it's gone.

Morning found the breeze
A hundred miles away

There is just such a
Alexzandria
Jan 20, 2015 Alexzandria rated it really liked it
I have been reading poetry books for a couple years now,and I have heard only a few from Frost. After reading this, I want to read more books like this, I especially liked his poem 'December'.
Jared Della Rocca
I preface this by saying---I'm not that into poetry. So Frost takes a knock purely because of his chosen style. BUT as far as poetry goes, Frost is pretty damn good at what he does. You don't need a shovel to dig into the meaning of the poems (I'm looking at you, Rimbaud), but he also doesn't just leave it at the surface, so you sometimes have to bring some mental power to it. The poems are easy-to-read and pleasant, and Frost just seems like someone who keeps it real. Oh, and I drive past his o ...more
Danielle
May 16, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I went through a phase after my senior year of college when I was living on my own, all of my friends had left town for . . . well ever, and I had alot of time by myself when I got out of work each day. I found this book and the Emily Dickinson versions in a box and started reading. Poetry really seems to be especially meaningful to me when I'm alone and lonely (which isn't unusual since that seems to also be the prime condition to be in when writing poetry). Needless to say, and excellent colle ...more
Jessica Christian
Mar 04, 2016 Jessica Christian rated it really liked it
I love poetry, and Robert frost is one of my favorites. It's been awhile since I read anything by frost, but I'm so glad I did I loved it.
PJ Wenzel
Very enjoyable. Good read - and one I'll come back to.
Russell
Mar 26, 2013 Russell rated it liked it
I liked several of the poems in this book, but certainly not all of them. In fact, by the time I got to the end, I was pretty much ready to be done reading Frost for a while. Still, the ones that I did like, I thought about eventually committing them to memory. And now, being the slacker that I am, I don't even remember their titles. Which means I should probably buy the book anyway.
Taft Babbitt
May 05, 2008 Taft Babbitt rated it it was amazing
John Adams once said, 'You are never alone with a poet in your pocket' I completely agree and Frost is one of my favorites. I take this little gem with me when I travel or go hiking or camping and love to read myself a little poem now and again throughout the day and when your in nature, Frost is just perfect.
Scott Johnson
Dec 02, 2013 Scott Johnson rated it really liked it
I'm a poetry tyro so reading this was a learning experience. The more I read, the more I appreciated it. Much food for thought in these verses; puts one in a contemplative mood.
Will Burns
Jul 13, 2013 Will Burns rated it really liked it
I was initially attracted by "The Road Not Taken" but the number of great poems took me by surprise. The quality and sounds of the words were fantastic. A great collection.
Karen Anna Vogel
Nov 16, 2011 Karen Anna Vogel rated it it was amazing
I keep this little book on the coffee table. When I'm cooped up inside on a snowy day, I read his many nature poems and feel like I'm outside. Just so relaxing.
Sandy123
Aug 26, 2015 Sandy123 rated it liked it
Frost’s poems are beautiful and have a way of making me melancholy and wistful at the same time.
Amanda
Sep 02, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amanda by: Dad
I read this in spurts, but my favorite poem is Flower Gathering (which I keep rereading).
Kira (Budge) Brighton
*Read excerpts for school 9th, 10th, 12th grade, sophomore and junior year college*
Lily
Jan 28, 2009 Lily rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of poems...partially because it fits in my pocket.
Amy
Mar 12, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My husband gave this to me as a gift. Beautiful language, imagines.
Bill
Jun 04, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
It's Robert Frost. What more needs to be said?
A
Feb 16, 2013 A rated it it was amazing
A nice collection; beautiful binding.
Michael
Oct 15, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
simple but profound.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Dparks
Dparks marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Olivia
Olivia added it
Apr 26, 2016
  • Auden: Poems
  • Tennyson: Poems
  • Hughes: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Poe: Poems
  • Keats: Poems
  • Wordsworth: Poems
  • Shelley: Poems
  • Kipling: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Plath: Poems
  • Whitman: Poems
  • Love Poems
  • Poems of William Blake
  • Rilke: Poems
  • Anna Akhmatova (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
  • Animal Poems
  • Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
  • Poems of the Sea
  • Poems of New York
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the ...more
More about Robert Frost...

Everyman's Library Pocket Poets (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Poe: Poems