Start by marking “Wildfire Loose: The Week Maine Burned, 50th Anniversary Edition” as Want to Read:
Wildfire Loose: The Week Maine Burned, 50th Anniversary Edition

Wildfire Loose: The Week Maine Burned, 50th Anniversary Edition

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  7 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Paperback
Paperback
Published January 1st 1997 by Down East Books

To ask other readers questions about Wildfire Loose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildfire Loose

Geevee
Apr 15, 2012 Geevee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bentley and anyone from Maine
Shelves: american-history
The fires of October 1947 consumed over 200,000 acres with 15 people dying and many hundreds being made homeless and considerable numbers losing their livelihoods.

Joyce Butler's book is one of quality research using contemporary reports and publications with a large number of interviews with survivors of the fires (tape recorded by the author 1976-78).

The book describes the background to how the fires were able to spread with such speed over so vast areas, and also the people of Maine - firefigh
Katherine Hebert
Oct 27, 2016 Katherine Hebert rated it really liked it
We've traveled all over Mt. Desert Island for years but never knew the magnitude of the fire that burned there in the mid-20th Century until this year when we explored the ruins of extraordinary houses that were never rebuilt. What we also never knew was how much of Maine actually burned for a week in October 1947, some fires eclipsing that of Mt. Desert.
This book is filled with amazing anecdotes of entire communities decimated, people who lost everything, people who worked to stop the fires, p
Mary Ann
Mar 07, 2015 Mary Ann rated it liked it
I found this a fascinating read. I tried to imagine what it must have been like and thanks to the author I could almost get myself there, but I think the size of the event goes beyond what I can imagine. I've never been close to a fire other than a nice, safe campfire. I also can't imagine viewing the type of devestation it caused. What I can imagein is how people came together to help themselves and their neighbors- that's what being a Mainer is all about!
Ellen
Aug 30, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
Fascinating account of October 1947, when the state of Maine experienced record-breaking drought and high temperatures accompanied by high winds. Fires began and were devastating in their scope, given the relatively primitive firefighting of the time.
Jacqueline Kawate
Jacqueline Kawate rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Mar 15, 2011
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Ting
Ting marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Christina
Christina is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Chris Lawton
Chris Lawton marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Dianna
Dianna added it
Feb 27, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Bryant Mcnamara
Bryant Mcnamara marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Barry Sheff
Barry Sheff marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2016