Start by marking “Thompson Chain Reference Bible-NIV” as Want to Read:

Archaeological supplement
75 unique study features
6 5/8 X 9 3/8 % Font size: 9
Leather Bound
Published December 1st 2005 by Kirkbride Bible Company (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Thompson Chain Reference Bible-NIV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thompson Chain Reference Bible-NIV

Anita
Jan 18, 2010 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. . . The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Asho
Jan 16, 2009 Asho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
I will confess that I haven't read the whole entire Bible. But thanks to a course at my church combined with some additional reading throughout the years, I can honestly say I have read 90% of it, which may be as good as it is ever going to get since I don't think I'll ever sit down and read it cover-to-cover. (The class I took had us read the majority of the Bible, but we didn't always read sequentially.) I at least feel like I have a very strong grasp of what is (and isn't) in the Bible, based ...more
Jody
Jan 03, 2013 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time reading completely through the Bible. I followed the "Through the Bible in a Year" by the American Tract Society. I love the well known stories in the Old Testament: Adam & Eve, Noah, Abraham, Joseph, etc., but I admit it's tough reading through some of those Old Testament chapters with their laws and measurements. I never fail to be amazed at how the Israelites had God right there with them and still didn't trust in Him completely. I love Luke's telling of the birth o ...more
Tiff Miller
For the first time in my Christian life, I have read the entire Bible, cover-to-cover. I pulled out Matthew Henry's commentary occasionally to help me understand difficult passages, but other than that, I didn't read anything else for my devotional timeIt took me two years, reading a little everyday, and I am so glad that I did it.

Never have I felt as though I got a glimpse of the bigger picture of my faith. God's big picture is amazing, and I am just going to start over and read through it. Aga
Bev Dowdell
Oct 24, 2014 Bev Dowdell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A steady companion and great help in early days being a Christian to learn and understand life themes throughout the Bible .. Studying patience when I desperately needed it! Love for the unlovable - me - or so I thought at times. Forgiveness.. me again - for making mistakes and then for others. Wisdom.. a lifetime work in progress. Always at hand this book is a daily help as Jesus is.. Forever loving always forgiving our closest friend .. Even if we don't choose him, he still loves you, is the u ...more
Dm
Apr 16, 2014 Dm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Cadillac of personal reference Bibles in print without having to own separate concordance and supplements. NIV translation is ok, but I believe other English translations are available in the Thompson.

Spoiler: God has Victory through the Son who was slain on Calvary, and arose three days later, never to taste death again. "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." --Romans 10:9 New International V
J.E.  Runnion
Jun 20, 2012 J.E. Runnion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a very easy read. Though there are some problems with translation it still holds true to the word of God. It allows for cross referencing, checking and has easy indexing. Overall I love this bible translation. It works well with the many other bibles that I study and read on a regular basis. I would recommend this bible for someone who is a new christian and wanting to study the word of God.
Allison
Feb 04, 2015 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Study Bible and it was incredibly helpful! The NIV was an understandable and easy to grasp translation, although I have since found it is not necessarily the most accurate one.

The Thompson Chain-Reference(c)system is unique among study bibles and very easy to use. For someone who is interested in learning more about people, themes and concepts in Scripture, there really isn't a better study bible to have on hand. I highly recommend it.
Ken Bickley
Dec 31, 2014 Ken Bickley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The New International Version is my favorite Bible translation. Of course, I revere the King James Version, and actually prefer it when reading Psalms, but I'm convinced most readers don't really understand a good percentage of the KJV. Elizabethan English was just a wee bit different from our modern language. The Thompson Reference helps section is very good, too; I really like the archaeological supplement in this edition. All things considered, this is a fine study Bible.
Dele
Mar 23, 2008 Dele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
For someone like me with neverending curiosity and a thirst for understanding, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is a must-have. There is so much historical information and incredible study tools built in to help amplify the Scriptures. I ended up getting this Bible as a gift because my college roommate got sick of me constantly borrowing hers! Fourteen years later, I still have it (though it's battered) and still highly recommend this version to serious Bible-readers.
Jake Maguire
Jun 12, 2008 Jake Maguire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jesus likers
Nick
Nov 23, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, bibles
I wish it had bigger margins to take notes in, but he maps and archaelogical info in the back are useful. Having worked with the Greek and beginning to look at the Hebrew, I'm starting to prefer mor literal translations such as the RSV, the NASB, or the ESV. However, I grew up on the NIV and memorized a lot of verses using it.
Keith Davis
Nov 22, 2009 Keith Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The NIV is probably a better translation for modern readers, but I prefer the beauty of the King James Version. This edition has a lot of reference material added in. Useful if you like that kind of supplemental text.
Abby
Apr 03, 2010 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't pretend to understand everything in this book. Heck, I won't even pretend to understand most of it. But, I do know that this book contains everything I really need, and will ever really need. This book is never moving out of my 'currently-reading' shelf.
Marie Gray
Religion aside, this is an important book if you are an avid reader because of its influence on so many authors. Subtle undertones of its themes can be found in countless writings over the centuries.
Carrie
Jan 15, 2013 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took a little longer to finish than I had hoped, but I did it! You are never too young or too old to read the #1 best selling book. Never stop searching for truth.
Veda Sorrells
Veda Sorrells rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Husbandfirst
Jul 20, 2014 Husbandfirst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No book is more important, more timely, more full of guidance and help than God's Word.
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Bob Anderson
Bob Anderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Kevin Chivington
Kevin Chivington rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Margaret Wilson
Margaret Wilson rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Jeanine
Jeanine rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2008
Jonathan Roberts
Jonathan Roberts rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Danette
Apr 24, 2016 Danette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
College graduation gift from my church.
Mervyn Smallwood
Mervyn Smallwood rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2013
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Bobby Brown
Bobby Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“It has become increasingly necessary to abandon the use of biblical historiography as a viable source for our own historical writing .. We must be ready to radically alter and consciously distance ourselves from all presuppositions that have been imposed on us by the biblical account.” 0 likes
“The very concept of an 'indigenous Israel' during the period between the twelfth and tenth centuries is dismissed as 'historically meaningless'.” 0 likes