Start by marking “Letters of John Keats” as Want to Read:
Letters of John Keats

Letters of John Keats

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The letters which Keats wrote between 1816 and 1820 provide the most complete portrait we have of any English poet. Written with candour and self-knowledge, they show the working processes of a poet and offer profound comments on art, philosophy, and the human condition.
Published July 15th 1970 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Letters of John Keats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters of John Keats

Kelly
Oct 13, 2009 Kelly marked it as to-read
I don't normally reproduce the reviews or comments of others for my reviews, but in this case, I can't really improve on this story. So, Garrison Kellior and Writer's Almanac, take it away:

On this day in 1819 (Oct 13), 23-year-old John Keats composed what's considered to be one of the most beautiful love letters ever written:

My dearest Girl,
This moment I have set myself to copy some verses out fair. I cannot proceed with any degree of content. I must write you a line or two and see if that will
unnarrator
"You must be mine to die upon the rack if I want you." In which party-girl Fanny Brawne gets told.

I love these. I love that he quotes an entire page of Robert Burton; that he spells more worser than Dickinson; and that these letters are 120 years old but fresher than yesterday's tweet-bleats. And I conclude with an immortal haiku from, I believe, the late Seymour Glass.

John Keats
John Keats
John
please put your scarf on.
Tifany
One of the four books without which my life would not be worth living (the others being The Brothers Karamazov, The Lord of the Rings, and the Mahabharata--various translations--none complete). I liked Keats' poetry well enough in school, though of the Romantics, Shelley was my favorite. My professor said something that stuck with me, though--he said, that of all the Romantics, Keats is the one you would have most wanted to be your friend. Years later, still thinking about this, I went out and b ...more
Iris Marble
Jun 20, 2008 Iris Marble is currently reading it
Have had this book for at least ten years (given to me by my dad when I was in middle school). Finally reading it. It is juicy, funny, tender and brilliant. I often forget I am reading something written almost 200 years ago.
the mad hatter
Keat’s poems and letters are an absolute pleasure to read. Keats is one of the most seductive poets I have ever read. His words have completely captivated me, and his letters are further irresistible. Although he could be contradictory and manipulative, he is nonetheless loveable. He had a very short life, and yet, he still managed to write some of the most beautiful poems ever written in the English Language.

Keats also had an enduring interest in antiquity and the ancient world. His longer poe
Katrina N.
The letters of John Keats truly add a level of understanding to his poetic works that is extremely valuable. I enjoyed reading them.
Sara
Feb 01, 2014 Sara marked it as to-read
I saw the movie Bright Star and loved it and so I want to find out about more of the real John Keats.
Elle
John Keats is just beautiful in all ways. His letters to Fanny Brawne...are...well...yeah. I read a version that said they wouldn't include the Fanny letters and it kind of made me miffed, but now I understand. You can skip them, they're no Abelard and Héloïs.
If I was simply rating Keats' brilliant, passionate, warm, and heartrendingly human letters they would of course earn a 5 star rating. Not thrilled with this edition though- more footnotes and perhaps an afterword would improve it.
Lorraine
Great philosophy. His letters to Fanny though, are... well, I don't think he ever got to *really* know her, you know? stuff about the Muse and all that.
Jen
Some of the most beautiful ideas I've ever had the privelege of contemplating and writing about.
Ann
La Belle Sans Merci is one of my favorite poems in the book.
That last letter to Charles Brown is so sad.
Kathy
Jan 31, 2008 Kathy marked it as to-read
recommended in Eng 362
Anouk
Anouk marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Vera Beshti
Vera Beshti marked it as to-read
laika
laika marked it as to-read
Anaïs
Anaïs marked it as to-read
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Jaime Lee
Jaime Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • Letters of Ted Hughes
  • Keats
  • John Keats
  • The Journal of Joyce Carol Oates: 1973-1982
  • Words in Air: The Complete Correspondence Between Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Lowell
  • Posthumous Keats: A Personal Biography
  • The Odes of John Keats
  • The Last Puritan: A Memoir in the Form of a Novel
  • The Letters of Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf
  • John Keats: A New Life
  • My Emily Dickinson
  • Riprap and Cold Mountain Poems
  • Mozart: A Life in Letters (Penguin Classics)
  • Rosmersholm
  • You Never Can Tell
  • Welcome to the NHK, #8
  • From Ritual to Romance
  • Diaries of a Young Poet
11978
John Keats was one of the principal poets of the English Romantic movement. During his short life, his work received constant critical attacks from the periodicals of the day, but his posthumous influence on poets such as Alfred Tennyson has been immense. Elaborate word choice and sensual imagery characterize Keats's poetry, including a series of odes that were his masterpieces and which remain am ...more
More about John Keats...
The Complete Poems Selected Poetry Complete Poems and Selected Letters Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne John Keats: The Major Works: Including Endymion, the Odes and Selected Letters

“Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?” 1555 likes
“O for a life of Sensations rather than of Thoughts!” 90 likes