Start by marking “The Diary Of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self Portrait” as Want to Read:
The Diary Of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self Portrait

The Diary Of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self Portrait

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  23,924 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
O knjizi:
Dnevničkim zapisima Fride Kalo prethode četiri uvodna eseja vrsnih poznavalaca njene umetnosti. Prvi je potpisao Karlos Fuentes koji kroz prizmu političkih i umetničkih potresa stvara maestralnu sintezu XX veka čija su personifikacija život i delo ove meksičke umetnice. U samom Dnevniku koji je Frida vodila tokom poslednjih deset godina svog života, prepliću se sl
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary Of Frida Kahlo, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Meliss Alvarez In his moving presentation, Mexican faultfinder/writer/artist Fuentes relates Kahlo's pictures of agony, misfortune, mutilation and amazing quality to…moreIn his moving presentation, Mexican faultfinder/writer/artist Fuentes relates Kahlo's pictures of agony, misfortune, mutilation and amazing quality to Mexico's noteworthy cycles of upheaval and response.

Jaime
Feb 18, 2008 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i took my time with frida's diary:
one. because the emotion she reached inside of me
felt raw and sometimes heavy
but
two. because i didn't want to come to its finish.

i'm slightly obsessed (proudly) with this woman
and find myself moved in ways that enrich my soul
every time i spend time with frida.

her love for life
her passion for love and connection
her desires for both the men and women
in her life
strike me in such a familiar way
that guide me in embracing my true nature.

her vulnerability created passi
Suvi
If you're about to read this expecting a traditional 'what I did today' -diary, you're in for a big surprise. Then again, if you already know Frida Kahlo you wouldn't really expect that, would you? Originally not intended to be published, through Kahlo's diary you get inside her head in the form of letters, notes, automatic writing and sketches. So much so, that you feel a bit rude for invading her thoughts. I don't claim to understand automatic writing, and even though Frida isn't a Surrealist, ...more
Sara
Sep 20, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for journal inspiration
Shelves: art-related, reviewed
Who would say that stains
live and help one to live?
Ink, blood, odor.

Oh, Frida, Frida, Frida. What else is there to say? This is beautiful.
There is nothing more precious than laughter
and scorn - It is strength to laugh
and lose oneself. to be cruel and
light.
Tragedy is the most
ridiculous thing "man" has
but I'm sure that
animals suffer,
and yet they do not exhibit their "pain"
in "theatres" neither
that any man can
"perform" x
Kate
Nov 17, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book. I thought it was going to be a basic translated version of Frida Kahlo's diary with a brief introduction of some kind about her and her life, It isn't. This book begins with a long larbourious introduction which, I felt, at times strays completely from Kahlo and can be very hard to follow. And then there is a full essay on the contents and format of Kahlo's diary. So before you get to view any of her work or her thoughts you've already been pounded with what two ...more
Nicole
May 03, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a facsimile of Frida Kahlo's diary, so of course it is awesome. 4 instead of 5 stars for bad layout decisions. I can kind of understand why, for example, all of the translation is at the end of the book, so as not to interrupt the flow of the diary itself, but it could have been done more elegantly so that it's not so hard to find the translation of the page you're looking at. A better option might have been to have all the commentary and translation in a separate volume, and/or make som ...more
Lori
in prep for my trip to Casa Azul....and because Frida is...Frida.
Fabienne
Jan 08, 2015 Fabienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"ALAS ROTAS" (p.156)
Uriel Soto
Jul 05, 2013 Uriel Soto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

"PAREJA EXTRAÑA DEL PAÍS DEL PUNTO Y LA RAYA"

Halagos sobran para este magnifico libro, es toda una obra de arte hecha por la increíble Frida.

Empezando por la bellísima edición: esa imagen en la sobrecubierta, ésa que tanto significo para su autora, igualmente hermosa la portada, forrada en tela roja, una edición digna de un libro tan magnífico.

La entrañable introducción hecha por Carlos Fuentes te transporta al mundo de la pintora, te muestra un poco de su historia, sus logros, amores y desamore
Alana Klinka
Aug 09, 2011 Alana Klinka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frida Kahlo's diary is worth the read. It contains sketches that thematically connect to her paintings that are far more well know, however the texture and raw quality is quite different. You see her process and even for an artist who was so revealing in her work, there is more to see here! Reading this diary in the context of todays art world, where a sketch can be considered fine art, shows how timeless and relevant her work is.
Rebecca
Mar 04, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. The haunting images alone are worth it (It's Kahlo, for god's sake!) and there's an English language translation of the text included.
Hind89
Dec 27, 2014 Hind89 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- أجمل إيجاز وصف هذه المرأة "كقنبلة" كما يصفها بريتون ، وسورياليتها في رائعة مقدمة هذه اليوميات التي كتبها الروائي المكسيكي "كارلوس فوينتيس" ..وفي وصفه ل فريدا كالو ،قال فوينتيس :
فريديتا " الفراشة الهشة، الحساسة، التي كررت بدون توقف دورتها من اليرقة إلى الشرنقة . جنية الليل المكسيكية التي تفتح أجنحتها اللامعة فقط لتوخز مرة ثم مرة أخرى ، وهي مقاومة للالم بدهشة، حتى يصبح الاسم المتعارف عليه للالم ولنهاية الألم هو الموت ."

- " الألم، الجسد، المدينة، البلد، كالو، فريدا، فن فريدا كالو ."
لا أجد في نفسي
MiiriAm
Jan 12, 2017 MiiriAm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Q difícil es calificar algo tan intimo como un diario que demuestra de manera cruda los sentimientos q enfrentaba Frida Kahlo durante esta etapa de su vida por medio de sus pinturas, trazos y palabras.

La introducción de Carlos Fuentes es preciosa, pero los ensayos son mas de lo mismo, fueron pocas hojas pero para mi fueron sufrimiento.

Y como punto extra la edición es maravillosa. Hay q recordar q este libro no es una biografía pero si un complemento que ayuda a entender a una de las mujeres mas
Alicia
Mar 11, 2017 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although she begins this diary at the age of 37-ish,
(the first date of entry is not clear) ~
it seems that because of everything that has suddenly happened physically
& emotionally to her, that now ~~she will document things.
And, of course, Frida will journal in her own artistic way.
Some may find it difficult to read, because of the language barrier,
because of her honesty in her pain & rage & beeeecause the love that did not die &
because we see & feel the sadness that this
Kelly
Feb 19, 2017 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content was absolutely worthy of five stars but the formatting of this collection was difficult to follow. I wish they had done side by side translations throughout the journal rather than miniature translations at the back of the book.
Melissa Hernandez
Feb 14, 2017 Melissa Hernandez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It only shows the later years of her death, and you can see in her writing that her health is beginning to fail. You get some of her art that isn't out for public viewing (museums, etc.), which is pretty cool. It was a lot at times, and I had to put it away for a bit. I enjoyed the analysis at the end. Helped when I couldn't make out a few things.
Ráid
May 24, 2013 Ráid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
تقول فريدا كالو عن لوحاتها: "أنا لم أرسم أحلامي البتّة. فقط كنت أرسم حياتي".

كيف سيكون شكل تلك اللوحات إذاً لحياة امرأة أصابها شلل الأطفال وهي في الثامنة من عمرها، وفي سن الثامنة عشر تصاب في حادثة اصطدام حافلة بكسر في العامود الفقري، الرقبة، أضلاعها، والحوض. تخوض تجربة ٣٢ عملية جراحية بعد ذلك حتى يوم مماتها بعد معاناة مع الآلام لتسعة وعشرين عاماً متواصلة كانت تقضي بعض فتراتها في السرير لمدة شهور أو مُقعده على كرسي متحرك ؟

تترجم فريدا في يومياتها ولوحاتها السريالية في هذا الكتاب الألم الجسدي إلى ال
M. Jane Colette
Aug 21, 2016 M. Jane Colette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book and will continue to devour it for years to come. The introduction by Carlos Fuentes is challenging but worth putting in the effort to read twice-thrice to really understand it. The faithful reproductions of the pages from Kahlo's diary--an art journal before there was such a trend!--through to bled-through inks and coffee stains are PHENOMENAL. The back end of the book contains translations of the pages--which is a great aid for non-Spanish readers--and contextualizations, ...more
Tristy
There are no words to describe how important this book is to me. I regularly visit the pages of Frida Kahlo's diary for inspiration and deeper insight into my own life and perspective of the world. Some pages are heartbreaking and some are joyous, but it is all TRUE and that's the biggest teaching, here. I also learned to embrace the bleeding through of pages, when working in journals. "Messy" is inspiring and beautiful!
Vicki
Jun 22, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, MAN, what is not to love about Frida Kahlo's crazy life and art? Her diaries are gorgeous, startling, maddening, lyrical, lusty, full of pain and deep joy. Whenever I feel confined, I open these diaries and feell....freer somehow...able to keep going as an artist.
Hadrian
Haunting and brilliant - much like the artist herself. I feel as though I've seen almost too much. An intimate portrait indeed.
Zeljana
Feb 24, 2013 Zeljana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Auxochrone - Chromophore. Diego.
She who wears the color.
He who sees the color.
Since the year 1922. Until always and forever. No in 1944. After all the hours lived through. The vectors continue in their original direction. Nothing stops them. With no more knowledge than live emotion. With no other wish than to go on until they meet. Slowly. With great unease, but with the certainty that all is guided by the “golden section.” There is cellular arrangement. There is movement. There is light. All ce
Andrea
Jan 17, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times I felt guilty of voyeurism by gaining such an intimate look into Frida's life. I don't know that she would support its publication were she alive.

Parts of the commentary I didn't read because they were dry and provided more insight into her art than her life, which is why I mainly chose to read Frida's own text. The evolution of her drawings and paintings throughout the book were fascinating to take in. Not only was her illness deeply reflected in her work, but her coping and ultimately
Karla
Jun 13, 2016 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Siempre he sentido cierta fascinación con la historia de Frida Kahlo, sin embargo es hasta hoy cuando me sumerjo más en sus pinturas y parte de su vida. Me gustó la descripción de algunas de sus obras, la detallada historia detrás de su arte. Lo cual hace que crezca mi admiración hacia esta gran artista.
Erika Ordonez
Feb 27, 2012 Erika Ordonez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An artists diary is a sketchbook... loved to see Frida Kahlo's life through one of the most intimate objects of an artist.. their sketchbook... they are not really meant to be viewed at, I am really glad to have had this opportunity through this book :D
Rebeca
Sep 15, 2011 Rebeca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frida pinta su vida, amor, decepcion, frustacion y su dolor, mucho y profundo dolor que la acompano por muchos anos desde que cumpliera 18 anos hasta morir, su intenso y loco amor por Diego se ve en cada pagina en sus palabras y pinturas,,,Frida es Frida y no hay comparacion.
Rosa Ramôa
May 19, 2015 Rosa Ramôa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pensaram que eu era surrealista, mas nunca fui. Nunca pintei sonhos, só pintei a minha própria realidade". (Frida Kahlo)
Raisa
Dec 22, 2011 Raisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book from beginning to end but why wouldn't I it's Frida Kahlo. Her diary is so rich and color and her thoughts are so deep. Love it I feel like I know her better as a person.
Emily
Nov 01, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
5 stars for Frida's own words and work, 3 stars for formatting and commentary.
Katarina
Sep 22, 2008 Katarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
poetizujuca sustina bivstvovanja
Kathleen
Apr 21, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, share
I love Frida. Enough said.
FABClub (Female A...: The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait (Monthly Memoir March '13) 2 22 Jun 07, 2013 05:42PM
cover 5 27 Apr 01, 2013 03:48PM
  • Leonora Carrington: Surrealism, Alchemy and Art
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • Frida Kahlo: The Paintings
  • The Last Nude
  • On Photography
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • History of Art
  • Concerning the Spiritual in Art
  • Devouring Frida: The Art History and Popular Celebrity of Frida Kahlo
  • The Shock of the New
  • Vitamin D: New Perspectives in Drawing
Frida Kahlo was a Mexican painter, who has achieved great international popularity. She painted using vibrant colors in a style that was influenced by indigenous cultures of Mexico as well as by European influences that include Realism, Symbolism, and Surrealism. Many of her works are self-portraits that symbolically express her own pain and sexuality.

In 1929 Kahlo married the Mexican muralist Die
More about Frida Kahlo...

“I want to be inside your darkest everything” 249 likes
“pain, pleasure and death are no more than a process for existence. The revolutionary struggle in this process is a doorway open to intelligence” 113 likes