Start by marking “Taking Things Seriously: 75 Objects with Unexpected Significance” as Want to Read:
Taking Things Seriously: 75 Objects with Unexpected Significance

Taking Things Seriously: 75 Objects with Unexpected Significance

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  22 reviews
We all have something in our lives that while not obviously valuable, is displayed as though it were a precious and irreplaceable artifact. Inquire about the object's provenance and you'll likely be treated to a lively anecdote about how it came into your host's possession. Keep digging, and you might even crack the code of what the thing really means. Taking Things Seriou...more
Published August 23rd 2007 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Taking Things Seriously, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Things Seriously

Kristen
Apr 09, 2008 Kristen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: stuff-lovers who need quick bedside reading.
Well, the key to having a revered object is to only have one. Those in the book with collections are far less poignant. For the most part well written (edited), it is a quick read that makes you glad you don't have a piece junk as a talisman (until you realize you actually do have a piece of junk as a talisman...)
Jaye
Most of the book gets 4 stars.

The story/essay about the turtle gets nothing.
I don't think it even belongs in the book.

The guy thought making little kids cry was funny?
He tells the story to family, the little kid cries.
He tells it again to another family, the kid cries.
You'd think by now he'd think it might be inappropriate
for little kids.
No. Another little kid has to cry.
Who knows how many times he's chuckled through telling
this story,dragging the turtle tail around.
Elizabeth
This was a lovely collection with a surprisingly smart introduction. The titular "things" range in size and scope, united only by the fact they would appear as useless junk to all but their owners. Each thing is accompanied by a short article by its owner, illuminating its significance. In most cases, the meaning of the objects is connected with the context in which it was purchased or discovered. Often, other people are evoked by the object (a gift from someone, the person who the owner was wit...more
Jessica
This book is just so much fun. It is compact and made with smooth paper, with tones of blue throughout.

My favorite object featured is a tiny pinecone that an artist keeps on her bathroom sink. I am probably a bit biased, though, given my last name.

Reading this made me think about my own favorite object. Right now, probably my bird tote bag. I miss it terribly- it is being stored in my old roommate's closet! But, I will be sure to bring it into the light before the Spring comes to an end. In hon...more
Spencer
princeton architectural press! 75 diff. authors. In my youth I loved looking through my fathers curio box. Its my earliest experience with things that I thought had some talismanic power. I loved the smell and look and feel of his pocketknife, scout badges, and compass. Maybe those things have "expected significance" and therefore wouldn't have made it in the book. But I like other peoples little things that have been loved. however, I don't care much for clutter myself and can't really be bothe...more
Lizzie
We got this book as a gift because my husband's cousin has an essay in it but that's not the only reason I liked it (though of course Rex's piece is great.) It's a collection of short essays on objects that are significant to their owners. Some are profound, some amusing. One of them (a description of a glass jar) perfectly expressed how I feel about certain objects in my life - the beautiful shape of the jar's sides, its perfect distance from screw threads to top.
Jimmy
a beautifully designed book about quirky objects and people's relationships to them. the essays were a bit short for me...most of them only 3 or four paragraphs long (is that even called an essay?). and, i wish there were a bio section for the writers...but at least the editors seemed to take careful consideration as to not select objects in banal categories (i.e. my childhood toy, something my mom/dad/girlfriend/boyfriend gave me, my first ______, etc.).
Benjamin
This is a charming little book that April introduced to me. Each page presents someone's precious object, usually something quite esoteric—like an old toy, an antique, or a bit of obsolete machinery. The owner of the object writes a small essay about their relationship with the thing. Sometimes it's funny; usually it's touching.
Jen
Some really poignant, mundane objects belonging to creative individuals. I rather liked the tin of hairpins a writer kept as a token of his passionate affair with another woman. Stuff like that just makes you smile at the wonders of life, all its angst, happiness and sheer surrealism!
Karen
Anne gave me this fun little book. I am going to pass it along to Roger and Teddy next. All lovers of funny objects would enjoy reading this book on the bus or subway.

I think the "Jig Saw Jr." was the funniest.
reed
This book is so gorgeous. Beautiful, simple, charming design. Also, it's a good read. A collection of photos of random objects along with the stories of how they entered their owners lives. I couldn't put it down.
Charlotte
A book of essays about interesting objects and the significance they have to their owners. It's a wonderful window into how we infuse ordinary things with meaning and even a sense of sacredness.
Carol Suelzle
This is an amazing book of two page sets, a picture of something unusual, and the story that goes along with that object. Some are sad, some are strange, all are interesting.
I really expected to be much more charmed by this book than I was. I was maybe 10% charmed. More like mildly interested. Cool idea; execution could have been so much cooler.
Amy
Everyone seems to have 1 bizarre piece of crap that they just can't part with for reasons meaningful only to them. I love that.
Alyssa
This is the type of book you pick up and read and then set down again and pick it up again a few months later.....
Katherine
i loved it! maybe because i take things too seriously. nevertheless i recommend it for restroom reading.
Elizabeth
Small, pretty book of pictures and essays about "stuff" and why it is important.
Monique
1 page vignettes: object, story
A couple are bizarre and terribly funny.
Jacquelyn
This was one of the books that I used to support my Master Thesis .
Henry
Full disclosure: I'm in this thing!
Andy
Mar 26, 2009 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Editorial Reviews

New York Times Book Review:
"Short essays about treasured possessions, by artists, designers, writers and performers. The cartoonist and musician recalls playing with an assortment of rubber animals as a boy, 'acting out battles, domestic scenes, everything.' But the star was always Sunshine, above: 'one special little yellow pig.'" (August 5, 2007)

Scrubbles.net:
"...the project is beautifully executed in boxy paperback form. This would make a good gift for everyones favorite oddb...more
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Shravan Rajagopal
Shravan Rajagopal marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Breena
Breena marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Neske
Neske marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Collections of Nothing
  • Evocative Objects: Things We Think with
  • The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to be as They are.
  • Atmospheres: Architectural Environments - Surrounding Objects
  • Transit Maps of the World
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • Bacon: A Love Story: A Salty Survey of Everybody's Favorite Meat
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • On Longing: Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir, the Collection
  • Joseph Cornell: Master of Dreams
  • The Map As Art: Contemporary Artists Explore Cartography
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • A New Literary History of America
  • The Infinity of Lists
Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun The Idler's Glossary The Wage Slave's Glossary Unbored: A Kid's Guide to Serious Fun UNBORED Games: The Essential Guide