Start by marking “When Trumpets Call: Theodore Roosevelt After The White House” as Want to Read:
When Trumpets Call: Theodore Roosevelt After The White House

When Trumpets Call: Theodore Roosevelt After The White House

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A remarkable portrait of one of our most remarkable presidents, "When Trumpets Call" focuses on Theodore Roosevelt's life after the White House. TR had reveled in his power and used it to enlarge the scope of the office, expand government's role in economic affairs, and increase U.S. influence abroad. Only fifty when he left the White House, he would spend the rest of his ...more
Hardcover
Published March 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about When Trumpets Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Trumpets Call

Bookmarks Magazine

O'Toole, a 1991 Pulitzer finalist for The Five of Hearts: An Intimate Portrait of Henry Adams and His Friends 1880-1918, wrote this biography of Roosevelt's later years in the shadow of Edmund Morris, who has already written two volumes on this President and will reportedly cover the same period as O'Toole did in his final installment. Many critics think that O'Toole fills an important historical gap by telling a complicated story with flair and wisely avoiding too much detail on the dramatic 19

Gabriel Aguilera
A guide to my rating system
*********************************************************************
5 Stars: This book is a timeless classic and undisputed member of the literary canon. I read and loved it.

4 Stars: This book is a personal classic. A book I am happy to read again and again and think you would enjoy it too.

3 Stars: This is a book I read and thoroughly enjoyed. I recommend only if you are interested in the subject matter.

I do not list books that I would not eagerly pick up and read aga
Tom Eldridge
Another pretty good book about Teddy, this one after he leaves the office of the presidency. Amazing, but this lion could just not stay still, much to the dismay of wife Edith. Teddy had to be involved, needed and loved. This book covers the misguided attempts at his re-election, the sadness of his failures and finally, WWI and the personal, unbearable losses he suffered. As with just about every book about Roosevelt I've read, completely compelling. He was one of the greats in American history!
Scott
I really enjoyed this book, but I can't get over the bitterness the author showed towards TR during the 1912 election. The tone of the book was very negative towards TR in that period, and brightened up afterwards.

That shouldn't turn you away from the book though, it is very well done. The section on the Roosevelt's involvement in WWI was probably my favorite part of the book.

I would consider this essential TR reading.
Dante
A good placeholder for TR's post presidency years until Edmund Morris comes out with his third installment of the Roosevelt trilogy. The first half has a lot of Taft, the second half much Woodrow Wilson. The middle, when TR was fighting with Taft and creating a new Progressive party, was slow. Not many pages devoted to his Brazilian travels either.
Elizabeth
If you asked me, I would say I am not a Theodore Roosevelt buff....but somehow I've read four biographies. So I guess I am. He's an amazing man with an interesting life. The better books would be the two volume set by Edmund Morris. But since those books end in the White House, you'll want to know what happened next....which is how I got to this book.
Kareem
To paraphrase Douglas MacArthur, 'Presidents don't die, they just fade away.' Have to imagine how hard it was for Teddy Roosevelt to hold to his pledge not to run for a 'third' term. The author does a terrific job of illustrating his trials and tribulations on that score. Learned a lot about the work he did in his post-Presidency travels as well.
George
Fascinating look at the huge personality that was Theodore Roosevelt -- inspiring and at the same time exasperating. He never really accepted his role as former president. This engrossing account is made all the more attractive by O'Toole's elegant style. A wonderful book.
Michelle
Excellent biography - really like O'Toole's choice of words - very unique but accurate. Probably best read after reading a book focusing on his pre-White House and White House years as gives better context to the post-presidency man.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"The trumpet call is the most inspiring of all sounds, because it summons men to spurn ease and self-indulgence and timidity, and bids them forth to the field where they must dare and do and die at ease"
Rose Ann
I have always loved Teddy Roosevelt. This is a wonderful look at the last years of his life, after he left the White House. It is a nice "bookend" to "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough.
John
Excellent bio of the last years of TR's life and his frustration at the loss of power. I look forward to a bio from Edmund Morris on this same period of TR's life to complete his triology.
Tom
I am reading "Colonel Roosevelt" at the present, so i was thinking of this book. While it is not as detailed as "Colonel Roosevelt," it is a good book about TR's life after the White House.
Kyle McCannon
So far so good, but it reads too much like a text book. The content is good and interesting.
Aws Al-obaidi
Old high school english stories... my firsts
Adam
If you are a teddyrooseveltophile....this is a good one.
Pete Iseppi
Pete Iseppi is currently reading it
May 31, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Jordon Hensley
Jordon Hensley is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Niomi Zaragamba
Niomi Zaragamba marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Joe Koennecke
Joe Koennecke marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Kristen Tepfer
Kristen Tepfer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Axel
Axel marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders & How They Changed America 1789-1989
  • Who Owns History?: Rethinking the Past in a Changing World
  • The Confederate War: How Popular Will, Nationalism, and Military Strategy Could Not Stave Off Defeat
  • The Clinton Wars
  • T.R.: The Last Romantic
  • The Dull Knifes of Pine Ridge: A Lakota Odyssey
  • A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • A River Running West: The Life of John Wesley Powell
  • Theodore Roosevelt (The American Presidents, #26)
  • America Divided: The Civil War of the 1960s
  • Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation
  • The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America
  • Honor in the Dust: Theodore Roosevelt, War in the Philippines, and the Rise and Fall of America's Imperial Dream
  • The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln
  • Mexico Profundo: Reclaiming a Civilization
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • History Wars: The Enola Gay and Other Battles for the American Past
The Five of Hearts: An Intimate Portrait of Henry Adams and His Friends, 1880-1918 Money and Morals in America: A History Corporate Messiah In the Words of Theodore Roosevelt: Quotations from the Man in the Arena Nicholas Miraculous: The Amazing Career of the Redoubtable Dr. Nicholas Murray Butler