Start by marking “Foraging New England: Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Edible Wild Foods and Medicinal Plants from Maine to Connecticut” as Want to Read:

From beach peas to serviceberries, hen of the woods to Indian cucumber, ostrich ferns to sea rocket, this guide uncovers the edible wild foods and healthful herbs of the Northeast. Helpfully organized by environmental zone, the book is an authoritative guide for nature lovers, outdoorsmen, and gastronomes.
Published May 1st 2002 by FalconGuides

To ask other readers questions about Foraging New England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foraging New England

Wendy
Sep 14, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: iridescentdragons@yahoo.com
This is a WONDERFUL guide for people who want a personable guide to explain a selection of approximately 75 of the best plants for foraging in the New England region (Maine to Connecticut). It does not read like a dictionary, it is a beautifully written field guide with plenty of info, but also plenty of anecdotes and opinions. My life has been greatly enriched by tasting new favorites like peppergrass and lambs quarters. No longer are the weeds in my neighborhood just weeds... Many thanks to ...more
Elise Jensen
Jul 29, 2011 Elise Jensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fun book to read, even if you have no intention of eating things you find on your woodland walks. Seymour's style is engaging and fun; you get the sense of sitting with an old-time storyteller as you read, and his enthusiasm is contagious. My goal for the next week is to find and eat one new wild plant a day. Going gathering young milkweed pods later today.
Aimee
Jun 08, 2010 Aimee rated it liked it
Enjoyed this - and even ate some foraged food that I learned about here! Hard to get over the sense of "eating weeds," but good to know about if I ever needed it.

I got this out of the library, but I would only forage if I had a copy of this IN HAND so I could be sure that I had the right plant (compare the picture).
Arabesque
Sep 29, 2013 Arabesque rated it did not like it
Not very useful to me at all because it does not have pictures for the entries. :( In the middle of the book there are a bunch of pictures but it's really not useful unless there are pictures along with EACH entry.
carol cooper
May 10, 2016 carol cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome foraging book

I was interested in doing outdoor things with my grandson and started buying books on foraging food. This is the best book so far. The photos are crisp, followed with season, habitat and whether the plant is medicinal or consumption.
Sandra Whittier
Sandra Whittier rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Julia Simpson
Julia Simpson rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
James Li
James Li rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
M
M rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Junio
Junio rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
J Campbell
J Campbell rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Robert Wilt
Robert Wilt rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Valerie Balakireva
Valerie Balakireva rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Kama
Kama rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Sumner
Sumner rated it liked it
Vanessa Amsbury-Bonilla
Vanessa Amsbury-Bonilla rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2010
Cheryl McAlister
Cheryl McAlister rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Mary Codd
Mary Codd rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Connie Libby
Connie Libby rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Kellyann
Kellyann rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Michael E Barrett
Michael E Barrett rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Karen Sutton
Karen Sutton rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2013