Start by marking “Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy” as Want to Read:
Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"Recognizing that informed, caring adults are critical to supporting early literacy development, this important resource builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the ALSC/PLA Every Child Ready to Read(r) initiative. Offering practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting, early literacy authori ...more
Published July 22nd 2013 by American Library Association (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Storytimes for Everyone!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storytimes for Everyone!

Kathy MacMillan
Ghoting and Diaz incorporate the latest research in this resource for what they call “early literacy enhanced storytimes” – storytime programs that introduce early literacy concepts in dynamic, practical ways that engage children and parents alike, providing families with tools they can use to develop children’s language every day. The authors focus on the five components of early literacy:

Phonological awareness
Print conventions and awareness
Letter knowledge
Vocabulary
Background knowledge
The book
J.D. Holman
This is the best book on library science I've read since my days as a graduate student in the field. I feel like I have a grasp on some theories for early literacy enhanced story times. Be sure to follow the links provided in the book! http://www.earlylit.net is unbelievably valuable. In addition to the handouts there, I'll likely copy down many of the early literacy asides in Chapter 12 to use in my upcoming baby programs or even my generic story time.

I highly recommend this for not only childr
Paula
Storytimes for Everyone! builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the Every Child Ready to Read® initiative to offer practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting.
Lupine
Great resource for incorporating literacy concepts into storytime. Wish it had existed when I first became a children's librarian.
Meg
Has premade storytimes, will be helpful in a library setting.
Jessica
This book is fantastic for new ideas or enhancing your storytime. I am definitely going to try their science storytimes---and I like the pre-reading surveys they would give parents, charts, calendars, so parents have more involvement in understanding how beneficial early literacy is for their children.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jeana
Jeana is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2015
A. Kuhlii
A. Kuhlii is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Ali J.
Ali J. marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Leanne
Leanne added it
Oct 01, 2014
Kahla
Kahla marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Lori Armstrong
Lori Armstrong marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jun 22, 2014
Danielle Walden
Danielle Walden marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Katie Hopkins
Katie Hopkins marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Early Literacy Storytimes @ Your Library: Partnering with Caregivers for Success Step Into Storytime: Using Storytime Effective Practice to Strengthen the Development of Newborns to Five-Year-Olds Songs and Movement Activities for Early Literacy @ Your Fingertips Art and Craft Activities for Early Literacy @ Your Fingertips Early Literacy Reading Programs @ Your Fingertips