Start by marking “Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy” as Want to Read:
Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

Storytimes for Everyone!: Developing Young Children's Language and Literacy

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"Recognizing that informed, caring adults are critical to supporting early literacy development, this important resource builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the ALSC/PLA Every Child Ready to Read(r) initiative. Offering practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting, early literacy authori ...more
Published July 22nd 2013 by American Library Association (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Storytimes for Everyone!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storytimes for Everyone!

Kathy MacMillan
Feb 16, 2014 Kathy MacMillan rated it it was amazing
Ghoting and Diaz incorporate the latest research in this resource for what they call “early literacy enhanced storytimes” – storytime programs that introduce early literacy concepts in dynamic, practical ways that engage children and parents alike, providing families with tools they can use to develop children’s language every day. The authors focus on the five components of early literacy:

Phonological awareness
Print conventions and awareness
Letter knowledge
Vocabulary
Background knowledge
The book
Abby
Oct 24, 2015 Abby rated it liked it
Really helpful reference for reinforcing the five components of early literacy (phonological awareness, print conventions/awareness, letter knowledge, vocabulary and background knowledge [including ECRR1 narrative skills and print motivation]) and the five practices of ECRR2 (talk, sing, play, read, write) and integrating them more purposefully and effectively into storytimes for parents/caregivers.
Again, much of this feels reassuringly familiar, my favorite standout passage reads,
"Letter knowl
J.D. Holman
Dec 31, 2014 J.D. Holman rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on library science I've read since my days as a graduate student in the field. I feel like I have a grasp on some theories for early literacy enhanced story times. Be sure to follow the links provided in the book! http://www.earlylit.net is unbelievably valuable. In addition to the handouts there, I'll likely copy down many of the early literacy asides in Chapter 12 to use in my upcoming baby programs or even my generic story time.

I highly recommend this for not only childr
Paula
Storytimes for Everyone! builds on the concepts introduced in the second edition of the Every Child Ready to Read initiative to offer practical suggestions for incorporating early literacy information and strategies into the storytime setting. ...more
Lupine
Aug 03, 2014 Lupine rated it it was amazing
Great resource for incorporating literacy concepts into storytime. Wish it had existed when I first became a children's librarian.
Meg
Jun 25, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
Has premade storytimes, will be helpful in a library setting.
Christina Karvounis
Jun 22, 2015 Christina Karvounis rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for story time research and activities. Highly recommend.
Jessica
Oct 26, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book is fantastic for new ideas or enhancing your storytime. I am definitely going to try their science storytimes---and I like the pre-reading surveys they would give parents, charts, calendars, so parents have more involvement in understanding how beneficial early literacy is for their children.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Chelsea Tarwater
Chelsea Tarwater marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tara Warmerdam
Tara Warmerdam marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Niki (Daydream Reader) marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2016
Emily Childress-Campbell
Emily Childress-Campbell marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
May 16, 2016
Ester
Ester marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Sara D
Sara D marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Megan Smith
Megan Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »