Start by marking “Give the Dog a Bone” as Want to Read:
Give the Dog a Bone

Give the Dog a Bone

But then what happens? Why, it's one wild, slapstick adventure involving cobblers, cats, chickens, and much, much more. From poodles to Great Danes, an increasing number of clever canine companions join in the fun--and add up to a most entertaining counting book. Kellogg's witty reinvention of the classic counting song "This Old Man" makes numbers fun for the whole family.
Published August 12th 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Give the Dog a Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give the Dog a Bone

Kayla
Mar 18, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: concept
This book includes the song Give the Dog a Bone. I like how the author went above and beyond rather than just simply writing down the song itself. He made sure each picture went with each part of that song, which was convenient. I think this would be a great book for students, especially if they already knew the song. Even if they were struggling readers they could read aloud knowing the song.
Madimeier
This book starts at 1 and goes up to 10. Each page goes up in the amount of bones to give the dogs. This book is very colorful and a easy read for students to understand. It has very good illustrations and the students can learn the digits 1-10 while reading and looking at illustrations.
Sara
Nov 30, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Give The Dog a Bone is a terrific folk song/counting book that kids will love. The author takes a great twist on the original song adding several suprises while still maintaining the singability of the text. The variety of old men made my first graders giggle (one is dressed like a cat, one runs away from a swarm of bees) and the surprise ending (raptors hatching from the eggs) made my class laugh and laugh and laugh. For the independent reader there are many dogs to count (with a listing of how ...more
Beloved Girl
Jan 31, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it it was ok
Shelves: j1-j3
I've never heard of Nicknack paddywhack stuff. It sounds very awkward to me. But as the song goes, i enjoyed reading this book. It is still weird, though.
Magila
3.5

Love Kellogg. Just wasn't over the moon about this adaptation.
Kristin
Dec 03, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it was different from a lot of the other children's picture books I have read. It includes a song throughout the book, and I haven't a doubt in my mind from my experience of working with children, that they would love it because of the singing in it. I would just prefer for it to have more enriching text in it, but if the singing can encourage children to want to read, I think it deserves four stars.
Tam
Jul 20, 2014 Tam rated it it was ok
As a parent, I didn't like this book. It's not the typical wording for "This Old Man" (which I expected) but my 4-year-old thought it had some funny parts and wanted to read/sing it again.

Example:
"This old man, he played seven,
soared right up to doggy heaven.
Nick-nack paddywhack, served them all a bone,
Good-bye kisses, sailed back home."

Jackie
Jul 11, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Steven Kellogg's rendition of Knick, Knack, Paddywhack: Give the Dog a Bone that would be a great storytime, sing-a-long story for little ones. All sorts of curious creatures accompany the dogs as they high-tail it home! A delightful counting book.

The illustrations are gorgeously Kellogg through and through.
Vivian
Mar 18, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another possible "counting song" is this one, told and illustrated with Steven Kellogg's signature whimsical flair. We just went up to "This old man, he played three..." for today's story time.
Jingqiu Chen
Dec 07, 2013 Jingqiu Chen rated it really liked it
It would be much more fun if you "sing" this book instead of just read it.
Erroll Treslan
Jul 27, 2011 Erroll Treslan rated it really liked it
This is a great one to sing to the kids.
Erika
Rachel
Rachel added it
Aug 25, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Brin
Brin rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Annalee And
Annalee And is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2016
Madi North
Madi North rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Jameson Haslam
Jameson Haslam marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Samuel Santos
Samuel Santos marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Taylor  Family
Taylor Family is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...