Start by marking “Der Geschichtenerzähler. Unheimlicher Thriller.” as Want to Read:
Der Geschichtenerzähler. Unheimlicher Thriller.

Der Geschichtenerzähler. Unheimlicher Thriller.

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,528 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Marvin was an eighteen-year-old senior in high school. He was also America's bestselling author of teenage fiction. But Marvin wrote under a pen name, and no one knew he was famous. Then one night he opens a fan letter that says, "I know who you are". At first Marvin is not concerned, but then another letter arrives, saying more....
Paperback
Published August 1st 1999 by Lübbe (first published July 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Der Geschichtenerzähler. Unheimlicher Thriller., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Geschichtenerzähler. Unheimlicher Thriller.

Erin (Paperback stash) *is juggle-reading*
No matter my age, I shall forever regard Pike as an expert at writing books that are as relatable to adults as they are to older teenagers. As young adults near that milestone themselves, novels such as this that treated them fairly on an intellectual level were appreciated.

Master of Murder focuses on a young mystery author who ends up – at first without interest – in the middle of a mystery of his own. He is a famous writer, but uses a pseudonym so no one in town knows who he is. It never ceas
Melissa
I hope they don't reissue all these books with slick new covers, because the cheesy embossed ones are so totally awesome. This story had nothing to do with magic or weird or paranormal stuff, so it's unusual that I went for it. Not a top favorite but one I still remember fondly.
Donna
I actually really liked this one. It was intelligently put together and excellently played out. Right on par with Pike’s books.

Marvin’s got it bad for a girl in his class but his lust for her ends up blinding him to some things and opening his eyes to others. The book he’s writing, it’s strangely similar to a real life death that occurred in his town and people are digging to see just what happened to a star sports player who died the year before.

I got annoyed when Marvin kept putting off his bo
Jenn Ingram
Oh man, I forgot how much I love Pike's books! So much cheese, I could make quesadillas with it lol...So, Marvin Summer is a high school student who also happens to be a hugely successful YA writer named Mack Slate. His identity is a secret from everyone but his 11 year old sister, Ann (an incredibly popular name in the Pike Universe, along with Mike if I recall correctly), so he gets a silent thrill when he sees the girl of his dreams, Shelly Quade, reading one of his books during English class ...more
Kris Lugosi
3 1/2 to 4 stars on this one...

Pike delivers a mystery novel within a mystery novel in MASTER OF MURDER. Mack Slate is the best selling author of teenage thrillers novels...he also happens to be a 17 year old boy named Marvin Summer who lives with his alcoholic parents and little sister who is the only one who knows of his identity. Marvin goes to school like any other teen and lives a very modest lifestyle. Just like any other teen he has a love interest, Shelly but of course she's dating someo
Liberty
My brother bought this for me in a used book store because he remembered I was obsessed with these books in middle school. Some things should not be re-read as an adult...
Mihret
hey i as you can see im writing a review about another christopher pike book. i would absolutly say this is myfavirote book that he wrote.after reading this book i learned that there are people that walk beside us that are menacing and others that we dont know yet but they will soon be one of the most imoprtant people in our live.if you guys like scary book you should read it.
Kathryn
It's not like Christopher Pike's books make a lot of sense in general, but this book was so utterly nonsensical and thin that I got zero enjoyment out of it.
Lesley
This was my favorite book ever when I was 10! I had such a weird crush on the teenage writer.
Brittany
I absolutely loved this and almost everything else by Pike that I read in middle school.
PurplyCookie
"Master of Murder" is about a seventeen-year-old boy named Marvin, who was actually a famous author who had millions of fans and millions of dollars, but wrote under a pen name so nobody knew who he was.

He wanted to remain unknown, for two reasons. One, the last book of his famous series, "The Mystery At Silver Spring", was overdue, and he was worried his fame would soon end. Second, he knew that his father could -- and would -- take away all his money if he knew how rich Marvin was.

But then one
Sydney
I think this book was good. I like the idea of an author that everyone loves, but nobody knows. I think it is funny the way lots of people reacted in his school. Constantly taking about what they think his home life is like and all, but all along he is still in high school. I didn't like Shelly. I thought that she was very double (or triple) sided. She wasn't with him or she was. I knew that once I started reading the book I could guess what was going to happen. (view spoiler) ...more
Carina
I really loved books by this author when I was younger and I still own a number of them, but grabbing this off the shelf at home (having forgotten my Kindle and needing a book that would keep me occupied for an hour or so) I realised that these really are 'teen' books (and youngish teen at that).

It took me a while to remember how the victim dies, but the actual murderer I didn't remember until the page before the reveal - the fact that I couldn't recall it or work it out from the book is, in my
Ainul Riz
I keep forgetting how sick Christopher Pike could get... I never really expect his endings... This was well-done - though maybe he could give more hints. I really got into the second half!
Kristy
In a totally awesome meta-narrative, Pike (a bestselling writer of series of suspenseful young adult books who writes under a pseudonym) gives us the story of Marvin Summer, a bestselling writer of series of suspenseful young adult books who writes under a pseudonym. Unlike Pike, Marvin is a high school student, and he finds that the plot of his popular series and his relationship with the girl of his dreams overlap a little too much -- particularly in the area of murder. There are some rather r ...more
Melanie Hobbie
I forgot how fun these young adult thrillers are! As an adult, reading them is somewhat predictable, but that's ok.
Shira
this was my favorite book in middle school.
Autumn Cook
This book was the best! Its about this guy named Marvin who writes books with a pen name Mack Slate and he doesnt tell anybody hes rich or that hes an author only his sister knows. Also about a year ago his friend Harry paster dies and the girl he likes Shelly was Harry Pasters girlfriend and she wants Marvin and her to start investigating his death she thinks he was murderd. This is my favorite book in the series!!!
Tara
Jessica
I was a bit surprised how much I remembered from this book. This one also seemed to speed a long a bit more than his other books, and, while it wasn't my favorite, was still pretty good, considering the intended audience. I will say that I do love that today's books for young adults read as much more sophisticated, both in style and in plot/themes.
Debbie Johansson
The plot twist in this book could get confusing and became a bit of a stretch at times and I absolutely hated Shelly. However, I liked the main character, Marvin - his life as a writer and his struggles with his alcoholic parents (I just loved Marvin's frog story). Another page-turner from Christopher Pike.
Karen
i didn't really like the ending...how could Marvin get back with Shelly after what she did do him, even though it was a misunderstanding. and i can't believe she KILLED Triad! killed, like murder! its weird that my 7th grade English teacher was the one to assign THIS book. it has some sketchy hot tub parts
Amy
interesting premise... but a flat ending... and the characters were pretty non-YA... even though they were supposed to be high school students - what high school student is tinkering on a lawn mower? or staying out for all hours and the parents are non-existent?
Clickety
Probably one of my all-time favorite books. I just adore the main character, and I love, love the blend of humor and tension and pathos. It's just so real, even when it's being complete fluff. Delightful.
Frezanda
I like the main character, Marvin. He has a dry sense of humor that always makes me laugh. Besides, I admire someone who can keep his feet grounded and laugh at himself in the midst of those fan adoration.
Kennady Mays
This book is about a boy named marvin who is a teenage authour who wrote a book called THE MYSTERY AT SILVER SPRING, a book about his death, that is when the murders are happining
Sarah Marie
Master of Murder is about a guy who is a famous writer, but no one knows it is him and the series everyone is raving about is based on a murder that happened in his town.
Deviki
Jul 14, 2009 Deviki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deviki by: classmate
Yeah i liked this story back when i was teenager.....i like the story and the flow of it....oh and this was one of the books that was quite matured LOL
Melissa Loyd
At the time that I read this, mid 90's, it was easily my favorite CP next to The Last Vampire. I am almost 30 but I think I will reread some of them.. :)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Broken Hearts (Fear Street Superchiller, #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • The Waitress
  • It's an Aardvark-Eat-Turtle World
  • The Possessed (Dark Visions, #2)
  • Wrong Kind of Girl (Sweet Valley High #10)
  • Seventeen and In-Between
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)