Start by marking “A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series” as Want to Read:
A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

Provides an account of the Godzilla movies focusing on how differences in American and Japanese culture, as well as differences in their respective film industries, underlie the discrepancies in the Japanese and American versions of the film. This work also covers various political and social subtexts of the movies.
Published April 13th 2007 by McFarland & Company (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series

Mike
Oct 10, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the second edition of his book, David Kalat does a couple of things. First, he provides a complete reference to all the Godzilla movies through 2004's Final Wars with release dates, cast and crew listings, and similar data. That's nice information to have collected all in one place.

The second, more significant aspect of the book combines a narrative of the franchise's history with critiques of each movie. The history is very good, looking at things like the decision making process at the Toho
Toxic Graveyard
Jan 11, 2016 Toxic Graveyard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t remember the first Godzilla movie i ever watched. I feel like it must have been at a time in my life before solid memories were formed. I’m sure i first saw one of the films as a very young child on TV. He became a part of my DNA. I have always known who the Big G is and I’ve always loved watching the films. Information about the series has become somewhat more available in recent years but my own personal knowledge bank is scant at best. At least it was until I read this fantastic book. ...more
Robb Bridson
Jun 20, 2014 Robb Bridson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A must-read for any Godzilla fan, and recommended to anybody interested in filmography, film business, film history, Japanese-American relations, Japanese and American culture, and interesting true stories about people you don't hear much about.

Showing his fandom throughout, Kalat introduces us to the directors and their visions, the writers and their political and artistic differences, the businessmen at Toho and their American counterparts, and the poor suckers who had to wear those big rubber
Marc Mason
Nov 04, 2012 Marc Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An academic text dedicated to Godzilla? Who would have thunk it? Yet this comprehensive work does just that, and in impressive fashion. Not only are the films examined as films, but also as cultural artifacts. Great care is given to context as well, historical, cultural, and financial. An impressive piece of work on a subject that more than warranted it.
Steve
Feb 28, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
I finished this a while ago... a very thorough look at the history behind this series of movies. The 2nd edition includes chapters on every G movie made, which I loved.

Can't wait for the next entry in the series...May 2014!
Mark Matzke
Dec 15, 2010 Mark Matzke rated it it was amazing
both first and second editions are worth every penny. Absolutely fascinating reading
Thommy Lange
Thommy Lange rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Andrew Gaska
Andrew Gaska rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Austin Wall
Austin Wall rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Alex Bledsoe
Alex Bledsoe rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Thomas Moore
Thomas Moore rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Tyler Joz
Tyler Joz rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Eric Henry
Eric Henry rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2010
K.T. Katzmann
K.T. Katzmann rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Luke Williams
Luke Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Jordan Thill
Jordan Thill rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Scott Hamilton
Scott Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Josh Downham
Josh Downham rated it really liked it
May 18, 2017
Nathan Marchand
Nathan Marchand rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Emory LaserWolf
Emory LaserWolf rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Donnie Hudson
Donnie Hudson rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2011
Cory Brunson
Cory Brunson rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Oldcharlie55
Oldcharlie55 rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Franklin  Hummel
Franklin Hummel rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Carl I.
Carl I. rated it really liked it
May 25, 2009
Kevin Knutson
Kevin Knutson rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012