Start by marking “The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up: A True Story” as Want to Read:
The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up: A True Story

The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up: A True Story

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Donny Herbert was a hardworking Buffalo city firefighter who, in December 1995, was searching the attic of a burning house when the snow-laden roof collapsed. For six minutes he was without oxygen. A beloved husband, a father of four boys, a neighborhood fixture who was always willing to lend a helping hand, Donny fell into a vegetative state that lasted nearly a decade. H ...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Unforgettables
222nd out of 1,349 books — 1,333 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselUnder the Banner of Heaven by Jon KrakauerInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerThe Invention of Religion by Alexander Drake
Must Read Non-Fiction
392nd out of 1,232 books — 1,388 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
This book was OK--definitely a quick read (I read it in about 3 hours). I know Donny Herbert was only awake and talking for 16 hours, but I expected there to be more about his conversations/revelations during that time in this book. It was a lot of his biography, describing the life of his family before and after the fire, etc.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
About a firefighter who is in a coma for 9/10 years (can't remember exactly) and wakes up for one day before passing away. It's a good reminder to take advantage of every day. His (Donny's) family, friends, and coworkers remained very dedicated to Donny in the years he was in a coma.
Gerardo Corripio
For those who don't believe in miracles? a very good testament to what others who do believe, can do to a person! I admit, some parts where his life were discussed were kind of boring, but other than that? a gery good read! Left me with a very positive message!
Catherine
Donny Herbert, a Buffalo firefighter, suffered traumatic brain injuries when a roof collapsed on him in a fire in December of 1995. He remained in a vegetative state for close to ten years and then suddenly one day awoke from his coma and was able to communicate with his family and friends for sixteen hours before once again declining. His story was nothing short of a miracle. That seemed to be the only explanation. Rich Blake's writing style was a bit dry and too journalistic for my taste. His ...more
Kathy
Even though I knew exactly what would happen, the author did an amazing job of telling the true story of Donny Herbert and I couldn't wait to turn each page. Donny was a fireman in Buffalo, NY who was badly injured on the job in 1995 and spent the next ten years in a coma. In 2005, he "woke up" for sixteen hours and was able to communicate with his family, including his four sons, the youngest of whom didn't even remember the sound of his dad's voice. At certain points, the story ventures into ...more
Amy
It was a great story but there was too much in the book that could've been left out. I didn't need to know the history of the churches of Buffalo, or their priests, or even street name etc. The actual story about Donny was incredible and made me cry. I wish the author focused more on that instead of everything else. I almost didn't make it past the first few chapters as they are very slow and not interesting. I'm glad I finished it. I think a different author, one outside of the family, probably ...more
Christie
I liked this book, I don't know if I could say I really liked or loved this book. I can say that I loved the story of Donny Herbert and I think there are a lot of untold miracles in world of science. I guess when I started this book I thought it was more about what Donny did and said when he was awake. However I did enjoy hearing of his life and the life of his family. Linda is an incredible women as was Donny an incredible man. This story is one of heartbreak, love, faith, and hope. I hope by r ...more
Shanwow
I enjoyed this book but i felt like there was something missing from it. It was a very touching story but I think there was a little too much back story. I also think If this book was written by Donny's wife or the children that it might have felt a little deeper emotionally. I was expecting to cry my eyes out. I reared up a little but I think the emotions of the event would have been better captured by a close relative. This book is not necessarily a light topic book but it is easy to read.
Michael
Dec 23, 2007 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends, family, firefighters
This book is really interesting to me because it is about one of my best friend's father, Don Herbert, a Buffalo NY firefighter who awoke from a coma-like state in 2005 to talk with his family after 10 years of disability. More than anything, Don (Jr.) is my great friend, i remember that he was travelling in China and India when the story broke international news, and he came home!! Imagine being half way around the world and finding out your dad woke up from a 10 year coma and was talking!!
Jennifer Hall
This book would be very meaningful for those that knew and loved Donny Herbert, a young firefighter that was trapped in a vegetative state following an injury he received responding to a fire. For an outside reader it was a bit too much. Too contrived, too in depth. While I really was glad that Donny was able to wake up and talk to his family I wish the book were more centered around the injury and awakening, and less about everything else.
Christina
A fascinating true story, very slow and uninteresting at the beginning, but it picks up and becomes very compelling. As a mother, of course, it made me ponder how I'd manage my family and life with my husband comatose for over ten years. It certainly is a miracle when Donny Herbert wakes up and spends a day or so with his family, completely and totally "there" before passing away a few months later. Puts life in perspective.
Suzka
To be certain, the story is remarkable. But the writing was pretty choppy (particularly when putting it into the company of the last few books I've read, all of which have been beautifully composed.) If this hadn't been on this book club's list for March, I don't think I would have been drawn in by the jacket. Still, it was surely a most extraordinary experience for this man and particularly his family.

Amy
Donny Herbert, a Buffalo NY firefighter with a severe brain injury, made national news in April 2005 when he suddenly became responsive after years of being minimally conscious for years. Rich Blake, a Buffalo native, has not only presented a moving story of one man, but also a tribute to South Buffalo, Father Nelson Baker, and the powers of love and faith.
Jessica
I read this book and it was OK, but a lot of the time it felt like I was reading a history of the town, the Catholic priests who served there and extensive medical history of Donny Herbert and all his family including a record of every street they ever lived on.
Felicia
I heard about this true story last month and was so interested, I wanted to read the book. It really raised questions about what to do when a person's mind continues working when the body is no longer functioning. A good, inspiring, short read.
Olean Public Library
This was a very good book. The author is a cousin of Linda, Donny’s wife. He did a great job of portraying the struggles that the family went through. As a volunteer at the Father Baker Manor I got to know Donny. He had a beautiful smile.
Jason
I have to agree with some of the other reviews on this book. The story of a Buffalo firefighter itself is amazing. The way it was told, not so much. It felt like the real story was buried beneath mounds of obvious detail.
Jennifer Christofersen
I enjoyed this book. I admire his family for their strength through the years they spent watching Donny sleep. I am from Buffalo NY. I am also an ER nurse who has great admiration for fire fighters and their bravery.

Miriam
Your mother should read it. I need to recommend it to mine. It's horribly sappy and will make you cry if that's the kind of person you are. It's like a lifetime movie in book form. Based on a true story and everything.
Leslie Erin Quinn
This book was just OK. Had a lot of sort of useless information about stuff sort of related to Donny Herbert but seemed like it would have made a much better magazine or journal article. A very short read.
Andrea
Uplifting and thought-provoking, even with the "sad" ending. Needed some tighter editing, though, and I would have liked to have more on the "awake" period, and to learn more about the pursuit of the miracle.
Aileen
Dec 28, 2007 Aileen marked it as to-read
I knew the family -- my sister was their regular babysitter (and I filled in for her sometimes). It was an interesting book & it was nice to learn more about things I only knew bits & pieces of before.
Gravelpit
Heartwrenching yet ultimately uplifting, Donnie Herbert could have been DeNiro in "Awakenings". A little too much Catholicism for this Christian-phobe, but there's room to ponder...
Dale
Being married to a fire fighter for almost 20 years, this book really hit home. Life is so fragile- in one second everything can change...very moving and thoughtful book!
J
Endurance and the resilience of the human spirit are showcased in this short but engaging book. A great tribute to those who step out to rescue the rest of us.
Nicole
This was a very sweet book. I think I expected something a little different, but was pleased with the writing and the story. I woudl recommend this book to anyone!
Megan
Started slow, but got better as it went on. A nice story of faith and perseverance. It made me glad my husband isn't a firefighter anymore!
Melissa
Beautiful story of one of the most difficult battles a family can face. Also interesting b/c took place in a city I'm familiar with.
Sharon R
Good story but it seems to get lost in the history of churches, neighborhoods. Seems more like a who's who catholic churches.
Trish
Amazing story - the first half is harder to get through than I would have liked. Too much background.
  • My Mother's Keeper: A Daughter's Memoir Of Growing Up In The Shadow Of Schizophrenia
  • It's Complicated: The American Teenager
  • On the Edge of Darkness: America's Most Celebrated Actors, Journalists and Politicians Chronicle Their Most Arduous Journey
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Children with Special Needs: Stories of Love and Understanding for Those Who Care for Children with Disabilities
  • Telling: A Memoir of Rape and Recovery
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • Long Past Stopping: A Memoir
  • Dharma Girl: A Road Trip Across the American Generations
  • The Day I Went Missing: A True Story
  • No Time to Say Goodbye: Surviving the Suicide of a Loved One
  • In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide
  • Imperfect Endings: A Daughter's Tale of Life and Death
  • Hero of the Underground: A Memoir
  • The Los Angeles Diaries : A Memoir
  • The Three of Us: A Family Story
  • Autobiography of a Schizophrenic Girl
  • Beautiful Stranger: A Memoir of an Obsession with Perfection
  • Stalking Irish Madness: Searching for the Roots of My Family's Schizophrenia
The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up Talking Proud: Rediscovering the Magical Season of the 1980 Buffalo Bills The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up the Day Donny Herbert Woke Up Diary of a Hedge Fund Manager: From the Top, to the Bottom, and Back Again Diary of a Hedge Fund Manager: From the Top, to the Bottom, and Back Again