Start by marking “Dustbin Baby” as Want to Read:
Dustbin Baby

Dustbin Baby

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,570 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
April Showers (so called because of her birth date, April 1, and her tendency to burst into tears at the drop of a hat) was unceremoniously dumped in a rubbish bin when she was only a few hours old. Her young life has passed by in a blur of ever-changing foster homes but as she enters her teens she decides it is time to find out the truth about her real family.
Published October 1st 2002 by Corgi Childrens (first published September 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dustbin Baby, please sign up.

Jody No, she has found Frankie, they met up at the pizza place with marion. The book dosnt state they actually turned up I think they would have tho
How to Survive Summer Camp by Jacqueline WilsonThe Lottie Project by Jacqueline WilsonCandyfloss by Jacqueline WilsonSleepovers by Jacqueline WilsonLittle Darlings by Jacqueline Wilson
Best of Jacqueline Wilson
9th out of 101 books — 15 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë1984 by George Orwell
BBC Top 200 Books
125th out of 200 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Leanne
Sep 03, 2013 Leanne rated it really liked it

Jacqueline Wilson has written many amazing books, but Dustbin Baby has to be one of my favourites, especially for an older reader, and is a story I will never forget.

Vicki Leanne
• 3.5 stars •

Jacqueline Wilson is a superb children's writer, her stories are realistic, meaningful and her characters are interesting. Dustbin Baby was no exception.

April was an interesting character, and I really enjoyed reading about being an orphan and fostering/adoption from her point of view. The things that have happened to her in the last fourteen years are distressing but I really enjoyed her 'voice'. The ending was a little unrealistic in my eyes but nevertheless, this was a lovely li
Connie

Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Genre: Middle Grade, realistic
Overall Rating: 3.9 stars

This copy is signed.

April Showers. That's her nickname, because she's always crying. She cried the day she was found in a dustbin, she cried when her adopted mum died, she cries all the time. But on her fourteenth birthday, she decides that it's time to figure out her past...and maybe find her real mum?

This used to be my go to book. I loved reading i
Raven and Beez
Apr 11, 2016 Raven and Beez rated it really liked it

This book was recommended to me by Beez.

She said it was a good read.

She said I would enjoy it...

I cried like a freaking baby.

This book is about a girl named April who is being fostered by an old-fashioned woman named Marion. On her 14th birthday (April 1, hence the name), she decides to go and finally dig deeper into her past, to finally find her real mother. And along with her we are taken into her past.

Jacqueline Wilson is an amazing woman. Whenever she
Fariha
Mar 10, 2013 Fariha rated it really liked it
Dustbin Baby is a book about a girl called a girl called April Showers who was dumped in a bin as a baby. Now, at the age of 14, she lives with her foster mother Marion and, after having an argument with her, sets out to spend her birthday visiting her previous homes. Throughout the story, the reader learns about everything April experienced in each of these homes and how it led her to Marion. Along the way the reader even sees April create some new friendships.

While reading this book the reade
Hil
Mar 02, 2012 Hil rated it really liked it
Devon Flaherty
Jun 26, 2013 Devon Flaherty rated it it was ok
....

I had a week before me, during which I was planning and packing for a very big trip, two thick books lined up in the queue (which would be the wooden box between my front door and the couch), and Dustbin Baby already read. I was not that impressed, and took a stroll through the giant spreadsheet of my Best Books to Read, where I found a total of twelve more Jacqueline Wilson books. I was not pumped. But I was surprised.

Who is this Jacqueline Wilson character that she makes the top 1200 (or s
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 Siobhan rated it liked it
Wilson is great at making realistic characters that you can quickly come to term with, giving realistic reactions to events.

Her books are great at getting children to really think about actions and their consequences, really opening the eyes of children to the world. Some of her books are sensitive reads yet they are all great at sending life messages to children.

I feel as though Wilson books are a must in the lives of young children, a way of opening their eyes to the real world in the right wa
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jacqueline Wilson fans
Recommended to Leah by: My Friend - Emily Cole
Shelves: childrens
This was a rather moving story. April had such a bad background, and in some ways it was a bit too melodramatic by Wilson, and unfortunately this was one of the rare cases where the film/TV series was better than the book.

The story-line was great and it was moving to travel with April as she visits the places of her childhood, to try to dscover more about herself. Wilson did well in writing about April's hurt in a simple way, not holding back on all her issues.

I just struggled with how short the
Raven Hall
Mar 01, 2016 Raven Hall rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was such a good short book. I have not read many books about orphans because just the thought of people not caring for their kids makes me cry. So yes, this book was basically me crying every night before sleep.

I would suggest this book to anyone who wants to appreciate their family and be thankful for what they have been blessed with.
Mayu
Sep 23, 2014 Mayu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenil, drama
De esos libros que te encogen el corazón.
Sammy
A good read for older children, a sad story about a girl who was abandoned as a baby in a dustbin.
Danica
Dec 26, 2013 Danica rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Wilson's books were what introduced me to the fantastic world of reading, it was what turned me into a book lover and I really must thank Jacqueline Wilson for everything she has done.

The great thing about growing up reading Wilson's books is that all her books covers real and important issues and there's no love stories, except for Girls, because the books are for children and her books were mainly about no matter how hard things get and how difficult the situation, the problem isn'
Abbeyo
Oct 28, 2014 Abbeyo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was interesting and very slightly more serious than most of Jacqueline Wilson's already sombre (although there are funny parts) flock of teen books. April, although a very shy, meek and emotional girl, is very interesting how she explores all the places that she has spent her hectic childhood in.

The only part that I didn't understand was the introduction and ending. Does anybody have a possible explanation for this?

I would recommend this book for girls aged 10-14 (tweens
Jack Chaplin
Mar 27, 2016 Jack Chaplin rated it really liked it
This book was rather surprising for me in regards to the author and the nature of its writing - usually Wilson's books seem upbeat and optimistic, and the characters are less melancholic than April, the protagonist of "Dustbin Baby". The idea that she was rather confused about life, left in a dustbin after birth, and the past she recites throughout the book, brings a more depressing tone to the story. However, all is well at the end - which is a strange turn because of all that occurs in the sto ...more
Siobhan Johnson
Jan 01, 2016 Siobhan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Wilson has written many amazing books, but Dustbin Baby has to be one of my favourites and is a story I will never forget.

April, the main character, is a lonely girl with a vivid imagination who struggles to fit in as she is haunted by her past. Without so much as a note or shawl, April was abandoned by her mother at birth and dumped in a nearby dustbin. Luckily, her constant cries (which later gained her one of her nicknames April Showers) was heard by the local pizza boy, Frankie, w
Claire Conlon
Aug 22, 2011 Claire Conlon rated it really liked it
April Showers is such a departure from the other books I have read by Jacqueline Wilson. It deals with much darker issues but it retains her amazing ability to keep the story alive and quick as we don’t know where we will go next. April Showers focuses on April a.k.a the ‘dustbin baby’. We meet April on April fool’s day which also happens to be her fourteenth birthday. After she is given a pair of earrings rather than a mobile phone (much to her disgust!) we travel back through her past.

Discover
Vickie Wilson
Mar 07, 2014 Vickie Wilson rated it really liked it
Is there any girl who hasn't read a Jacqueline Wilson book when they were a younger teen? I read many, although I've never found many to be particularly believable or memorable. I adored Love Lessons and can still remember most of the plot but Dustbin Baby isn't a interesting one for me, despite having read it about 4 times. I remember it, of course.

This one is about a girl called April, she's just turned 14 and decided to bunk from school, after having a temper tantrum because her foster mother
Amy
Oct 23, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
"They’ve both started sighing whenever I say sorry. `It’s kind of creepy,’ said Cathy. `You don’t have to keep saying sorry to us.’ `We’re your friends,’ said Hannah. They are my friends and I badly want them to stay my friends. They’re the first nice normal friends I’ve ever had. They think I’m nice and normal too, give or take a few slightly strange ways. I’m going to do my best to keep it like that. I’m never going to tell them about me. I’d die if they found out. I’ve got so good at pretendi ...more
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
We meet April on her 14th birthday which is April Fools day. She was found in the bins behind a pizza place with no clothes, no nappy and no note. Just abandoned.

This book would be good for 12 years old onwards however at times April does seem quite childish for her age even with what she has been through.

The first half of the book is mainly reminiscing back to the days before she was about 5. How she was found abandoned and by who, how she was adopted but things didn't end up going very well.

I
Letty Wilson
May 29, 2014 Letty Wilson rated it it was ok
I think it's fair to say I didn't like this book very much. But I've never really liked Jacqueline Wilson anyway. Although I am shocked to believe I share the same birthday and last name as her. I'm just going to say her books depress me. They are always a sob story as well. All she has accomplished in my opinion is making the stereotype that most care kids are engulfed with crime.
I saw the word knickers at least 3 times if not more.
Aaron
Oct 14, 2015 Aaron rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
Dustbin baby talks about a girl that has been dumped in the trash bin. She was fostered by a 16 yr old girl named Patrica, a waitress in a nearby mall. She named her April, as she was found on april fools day. They only stayed together for a very short time. After a while, a lady named Pat adopted her, but Pat committed suicide, due to some sort of bad husband relationship. Later, April was sent to a place with a lady Marion. At that time, she is 13. The story ends where a person Frankie, found ...more
Annabel
Jan 30, 2014 Annabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Dame Jacqueline Wilson (a very deserved title!) is, in my opinion, the best contemporary children's writer. She writes perfectly, in content, theme, style and accessibility for children from aged 6 to 13 (ish - of course this varies among children). She writes flawlessly for children, I could not find a single fault.

She is never patronizing and introduces young people to important life issues such as love, poverty, friendship, adolescence, separated parents, illnesses and so much more, in a mann
Tara Calaby
This is the darkest of Wilson's books that I've read so far, but also the best, by a long shot. As with most of her fiction, it deals with grittier situations than that found in the usual children's novel, but Dustbin Baby is particularly challenging in this sense. In fact, I feel it really skirts the line between junior and young adult fiction, as it's written in Wilson's usual style, but deals with a fourteen-year-old protagonist and deals with such adult concepts as suicide. Certainly, it's n ...more
Verena
Jan 06, 2013 Verena rated it liked it
Do not be deceived by this cover - I thought it was a book for younger kids myself. April Showers was left by her mother at birth. Her mother just dumped her in a dustbin, on 1 April, April Fools' Day. Thanks to the pizza guy who found her, April did not die. This book is written from what April did on her 14th birthday, all wthin a day. She knows she's a dustbin baby, she wonders about her birth mom, she recounts the many families / homes she's been in. On that day itself, she goes to visit her ...more
Emmy
Feb 16, 2014 Emmy rated it liked it
April never truly knows who she is. Dumped in a bin when she was a baby she never knew her real parents. On her birthday she sets out to discover the truth about he past and try to find her family.
Bit boring but has some great bits. I think it is good but could be improved.
Harun Harahap
Sampai sekarang gue juga bingung sih kalau mendengar kabar ada bayi dibuang di tempat sampah atau tempat lainnya yang tidak layak. Bisa sih kita menghakimi kalau ibunya sudah tidak waras. Namun, kita tidak tahu pasti alasan sejatinya kenapa mereka melakukannya.
María
Apr 10, 2014 María rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recuerdo este libro con gran cariño, y solo por la historia que nos cuenta este libro sobre Abril, una niña que fue dejada en un cubo de basura justo después de nacer.
Me lo leí hace ya mucho tiempo, y quería dedicarle esta reseña en el blog, además de los demás libros que venían en la colección del Círculo de Lectores.
Bueno, vamos a hablar del libro.
Es una lectura sencilla, un argumento que engancha bastante, por lo que yo lo abrí un día después de comer, y en dos horas lo tenía terminado.
La h
Stevie Carroll
Jan 21, 2012 Stevie Carroll rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. April hasn't always had an easy life, and she wants to know why she's been abandoned so many times, starting with her mother the day she was born. At the same time she has a lot of empathy for her mother, imaging her as a girl her own age or a little older finding herself in an impossible position, and she doesn't seem to blame her mother at all for any of the problems she's faced. But it's April's birthday, and she suddenly decides to bunk off school and go on a journey to re ...more
Audeline
Écrit à la première personne, le livre nous confie les sentiment d'Avril qui est un peu perdue. Sa mère adoptive ne la comprend pas et ses amies, pas vraiment non plus. On se retrouve alors entraîné à la recherche de son identité, de qui elle est, depuis le jour où elle a été découverte dans cette fameuse poubelle.

C'est un mélange de flash-back et de rencontres dans le temps présent, ce qui est assez intéressant. Le seul problème, c'est que ce livre est trop court et j'aurais aimé qu'on aille un
  • Bad Dreams
  • Driftwood
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • Fruit and Nutcase (Diary, #3)
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • The Cruel Sea
  • Reach for the Stars (Fame School, #1)
  • Thin Ice
  • Escape From Warsaw
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

“Pearl rolled a tiny pink speck in her fingers, possibly part of Rose's new leg that I'd tried so hard to make a good match. Pearl laughed and flicked it away as if it was snot out of her nose. I suddenly couldn't stand it. I rushed at her.She saw I wasn't playing around. She ran for it but I caught up with her along the landing. I punched her hard in the chest and she staggered back wards - back and back, and then she wobbled and went right over, down the stairs.” 12 likes