Start by marking “Dustbin Baby” as Want to Read:
Dustbin Baby

Dustbin Baby

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  3,611 ratings  ·  102 reviews
April Showers (so called because of her birth date, April 1, and her tendency to burst into tears at the drop of a hat) was unceremoniously dumped in a rubbish bin when she was only a few hours old. Her young life has passed by in a blur of ever-changing foster homes but as she enters her teens she decides it is time to find out the truth about her real family.
Published October 1st 2002 by Corgi Childrens (first published September 2001)

Leanne

Jacqueline Wilson has written many amazing books, but Dustbin Baby has to be one of my favourites, especially for an older reader, and is a story I will never forget.

April, the main character, is a lonely girl with a vivid imagination who struggles to fit in as she is haunted by her past. Without so much as a note or shawl, April was abandoned by her mother at birth and dumped in a nearby dustbin. Luckily, her constant cries (which later gained her one of her nicknames April Showers) was heard b
Fariha
Dustbin Baby is a book about a girl called a girl called April Showers who was dumped in a bin as a baby. Now, at the age of 14, she lives with her foster mother Marion and, after having an argument with her, sets out to spend her birthday visiting her previous homes. Throughout the story, the reader learns about everything April experienced in each of these homes and how it led her to Marion. Along the way the reader even sees April create some new friendships.

While reading this book the reade
Hil
Devon Flaherty
....

I had a week before me, during which I was planning and packing for a very big trip, two thick books lined up in the queue (which would be the wooden box between my front door and the couch), and Dustbin Baby already read. I was not that impressed, and took a stroll through the giant spreadsheet of my Best Books to Read, where I found a total of twelve more Jacqueline Wilson books. I was not pumped. But I was surprised.

Who is this Jacqueline Wilson character that she makes the top 1200 (or s
Mayu
De esos libros que te encogen el corazón.
Sammy
A good read for older children, a sad story about a girl who was abandoned as a baby in a dustbin.
Danica
Jacqueline Wilson's books were what introduced me to the fantastic world of reading, it was what turned me into a book lover and I really must thank Jacqueline Wilson for everything she has done.

The great thing about growing up reading Wilson's books is that all her books covers real and important issues and there's no love stories, except for Girls, because the books are for children and her books were mainly about no matter how hard things get and how difficult the situation, the problem isn'
Abbeyo
I thought that this book was interesting and very slightly more serious than most of Jacqueline Wilson's already sombre (although there are funny parts) flock of teen books. April, although a very shy, meek and emotional girl, is very interesting how she explores all the places that she has spent her hectic childhood in.

The only part that I didn't understand was the introduction and ending. Does anybody have a possible explanation for this?

I would recommend this book for girls aged 10-14 (tweens
Claire Conlon
April Showers is such a departure from the other books I have read by Jacqueline Wilson. It deals with much darker issues but it retains her amazing ability to keep the story alive and quick as we don’t know where we will go next. April Showers focuses on April a.k.a the ‘dustbin baby’. We meet April on April fool’s day which also happens to be her fourteenth birthday. After she is given a pair of earrings rather than a mobile phone (much to her disgust!) we travel back through her past.

Discover
Vickie Ramage
Is there any girl who hasn't read a Jacqueline Wilson book when they were a younger teen? I read many, although I've never found many to be particularly believable or memorable. I adored Love Lessons and can still remember most of the plot but Dustbin Baby isn't a interesting one for me, despite having read it about 4 times. I remember it, of course.

This one is about a girl called April, she's just turned 14 and decided to bunk from school, after having a temper tantrum because her foster mother
Amy
"They’ve both started sighing whenever I say sorry. `It’s kind of creepy,’ said Cathy. `You don’t have to keep saying sorry to us.’ `We’re your friends,’ said Hannah. They are my friends and I badly want them to stay my friends. They’re the first nice normal friends I’ve ever had. They think I’m nice and normal too, give or take a few slightly strange ways. I’m going to do my best to keep it like that. I’m never going to tell them about me. I’d die if they found out. I’ve got so good at pretendi ...more
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
We meet April on her 14th birthday which is April Fools day. She was found in the bins behind a pizza place with no clothes, no nappy and no note. Just abandoned.

This book would be good for 12 years old onwards however at times April does seem quite childish for her age even with what she has been through.

The first half of the book is mainly reminiscing back to the days before she was about 5. How she was found abandoned and by who, how she was adopted but things didn't end up going very well.

I
Vidushi
Letty Wilson
I think it's fair to say I didn't like this book very much. But I've never really liked Jacqueline Wilson anyway. Although I am shocked to believe I share the same birthday and last name as her. I'm just going to say her books depress me. They are always a sob story as well. All she has accomplished in my opinion is making the stereotype that most care kids are engulfed with crime.
I saw the word knickers at least 3 times if not more.
Livvy
This book was a short read with the general true life and realistic themes that Jacqueline likes to tackle. I think this book became more touching now I'm older and I recognise the actual problems and realism of these.

I'm a real soppy person, so it did make me cry! There are some very touching moments where Jacqueline brings in real emotion and realism to the characters.

April, 'Dustbin Baby' is a disturbed girl who seems lost, forlorn and out of place in her current position and her tale unrave
Annabel
Dame Jacqueline Wilson (a very deserved title!) is, in my opinion, the best contemporary children's writer. She writes perfectly, in content, theme, style and accessibility for children from aged 6 to 13 (ish - of course this varies among children). She writes flawlessly for children, I could not find a single fault.

She is never patronizing and introduces young people to important life issues such as love, poverty, friendship, adolescence, separated parents, illnesses and so much more, in a mann
Tara Calaby
This is the darkest of Wilson's books that I've read so far, but also the best, by a long shot. As with most of her fiction, it deals with grittier situations than that found in the usual children's novel, but Dustbin Baby is particularly challenging in this sense. In fact, I feel it really skirts the line between junior and young adult fiction, as it's written in Wilson's usual style, but deals with a fourteen-year-old protagonist and deals with such adult concepts as suicide. Certainly, it's n ...more
Leah
Jul 08, 2013 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jacqueline Wilson fans
Recommended to Leah by: My Friend - Emily Cole
This was a rather moving story. April had such a bad background, and in some ways it was a bit too melodramatic by Wilson, and unfortunately this was one of the rare cases where the film/TV series was better than the book.

The story-line was great and it was moving to travel with April as she visits the places of her childhood, to try to dscover more about herself. Wilson did well in writing about April's hurt in a simple way, not holding back on all her issues.

I just struggled with how short the
Verena
Do not be deceived by this cover - I thought it was a book for younger kids myself. April Showers was left by her mother at birth. Her mother just dumped her in a dustbin, on 1 April, April Fools' Day. Thanks to the pizza guy who found her, April did not die. This book is written from what April did on her 14th birthday, all wthin a day. She knows she's a dustbin baby, she wonders about her birth mom, she recounts the many families / homes she's been in. On that day itself, she goes to visit her ...more
Emmy
April never truly knows who she is. Dumped in a bin when she was a baby she never knew her real parents. On her birthday she sets out to discover the truth about he past and try to find her family.
Bit boring but has some great bits. I think it is good but could be improved.
María
Recuerdo este libro con gran cariño, y solo por la historia que nos cuenta este libro sobre Abril, una niña que fue dejada en un cubo de basura justo después de nacer.
Me lo leí hace ya mucho tiempo, y quería dedicarle esta reseña en el blog, además de los demás libros que venían en la colección del Círculo de Lectores.
Bueno, vamos a hablar del libro.
Es una lectura sencilla, un argumento que engancha bastante, por lo que yo lo abrí un día después de comer, y en dos horas lo tenía terminado.
La h
Stevie Carroll
I loved this book. April hasn't always had an easy life, and she wants to know why she's been abandoned so many times, starting with her mother the day she was born. At the same time she has a lot of empathy for her mother, imaging her as a girl her own age or a little older finding herself in an impossible position, and she doesn't seem to blame her mother at all for any of the problems she's faced. But it's April's birthday, and she suddenly decides to bunk off school and go on a journey to re ...more
Audeline
Écrit à la première personne, le livre nous confie les sentiment d'Avril qui est un peu perdue. Sa mère adoptive ne la comprend pas et ses amies, pas vraiment non plus. On se retrouve alors entraîné à la recherche de son identité, de qui elle est, depuis le jour où elle a été découverte dans cette fameuse poubelle.

C'est un mélange de flash-back et de rencontres dans le temps présent, ce qui est assez intéressant. Le seul problème, c'est que ce livre est trop court et j'aurais aimé qu'on aille un
Mariam Abood
Incredibly moving, this was one of the first serious novels I ever read. This book explores the protagonist April, who was discovered in a dustbin on April 1st, hence the name April. Now 14, April skips school to go on a journey to discover her beginnings, and where her life started. I felt this book was incredibly moving and as per usual, Jacqueline Wilson manages to portray a true honest description of a fourteen year old girl.

What I also really appreciated about this novel as well, is the fa
Becky Hancox
I liked reading her journey of finding out who she was and where she came from but I remember feeling disappointed by the ending. The expected ending would of course be that she had found her real mum which did not happen.
Rachel Brand
This was one of my favourite Jacqueline Wilson books and I repeatedly reread it as a preteen. Thinking back on it, it's horrifically depressing and very dark, so I'm not sure I'd appreciate it to much as an adult. I read it at the age of 12 and I'd say this is the the youngest it's appropriate for. Looking at what Wilson is currently publishing, her writing is definitely getting darker! Nowadays I tend to prefer her stories for younger kids, such as Lizzie Zipmouth, probably because they're not ...more
Johara Almogbel
This was my very first Jacqueline Wilson story, and it will always be my favorite. The style of the story and the narrative, and all that April does, is so very well written.
Lyndee
I can say i enjoyed this book as much as Wilsons Illustrated mum, but nevertheless it was a nice simple read. I really enjoyed the protagonist and her constant persistence to continue despite the past. I felt this text sends a very good message for younger readers with emphasising persistence despite the past and struggle.
Ursula Clancy
when I read this a long while ago I thought it was good but all JW books follow very similar patterns, this one was a little different and was interesting but still a little the same...
Lucy
This was a beautiful novel and was written just as beautifully. Such a touching story of April Showers that was really captivating.
  • Sunset Song
  • Bad Dreams
  • Flying High (Angels Unlimited, #3)
  • Indigo Blue
  • Fruit and Nutcase (Diary, #3)
  • The Cruel Sea (Classics of War)
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Straydog
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...
The Story of Tracy Beaker Double Act Girls in Love (Girls, #1) The Illustrated Mum Vicky Angel

“Pearl rolled a tiny pink speck in her fingers, possibly part of Rose's new leg that I'd tried so hard to make a good match. Pearl laughed and flicked it away as if it was snot out of her nose. I suddenly couldn't stand it. I rushed at her.She saw I wasn't playing around. She ran for it but I caught up with her along the landing. I punched her hard in the chest and she staggered back wards - back and back, and then she wobbled and went right over, down the stairs.” 13 likes