Start by marking “Magic Fire” as Want to Read:
Magic Fire

Magic Fire

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  573 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Since he was a child, Mark Charm has loved to watch fires. But now it's his senior year of high school and this pyromaniac is taking his personal obsession citywide. It is a dry autumn in Southern California and the desert winds are blowing. Mark has a box of matches. Would it be so bad if he set the state on fire in the middle of the night?
Published June 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Fire

Jeanette
Aug 22, 2008 Jeanette rated it it was ok
I was pretty disapointed with this book. i love christopher pike but this book just got way out there. it was cool at first, then it got too sci-fi and then it just went way out there. a few time si was like- huh? i am soooooooo freaking confused. the ending- it must have been beyond me. god- i read his books in high school- is my brain turning to mush?
Dani Dawson
Jul 08, 2016 Dani Dawson rated it liked it
Shelves: light-reading
Holy sex and drugs. I joked about this with my mum after we found all my childhood Christopher Pike books because I always knew that when I was child reading them they were too old for me. She was horrified that I was 7 and 8 years old reading about sex and drugs and death. I told her I was joking, I did not actually, with any clarity, remember the plot lines. After reading this one though, I realize I was not joking, Christopher Pike books are riddled with content definitely not intended for ch ...more
Rose Minnie
Feb 01, 2015 Rose Minnie rated it it was ok
This is one of the most confusing books i have ever read. It's so weird and yet, the idea was good. I was confused about the genre of the book but the epilogue was the only thing that gave clarity to everything.
Jenn Swanson
Sep 29, 2015 Jenn Swanson rated it it was ok
When I was younger I was obsessed with Christopher Pike. As soon as a new book was out I would run to the store and get my copy. Unfortunately they all got lost along the way so I was extremely excited when I saw this at a Half Price Books. The cover was amazing like the other books that he had back then. Unfortunately the story wasn't that great. I feel like he just threw some words together and hoped that it would kind of make sense and appease the masses. It didn't appease me. How could a boo ...more
Deanna
Jan 05, 2009 Deanna rated it really liked it
Reminds me of The Matrix in many ways.
PurplyCookie
Mark Charm is not your average high school student, even in the Los Angeles of the near future. Nor is he your average pyromaniac. This teen is able to start fires with the power of his mind.

This pyro-kinetic ability leads him and his girlfriend into a crusade to free Earth from alien domination. The story is so convoluted that it is hard to follow. The premise is implausible--aliens have harvested human brains and are keeping them in vats, but the humans don't realize this has happened--but thi
Rachel
Aug 14, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: own
A super fun and trashy read, I picked this one up mainly out of pure nostalgia. It isn't as good as some of the other Christopher Pike books. The story is meandering and confusing by turns, and doesn't quite know what it wants to be. It's very reminiscent of PKD's Ubik, but never quite reaches the same high. Not his best.
Aug 07, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
This may have been one of the worst books I've ever read...
Sabrina
Feb 18, 2014 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
This was definitely an interesting book, the beginning was good, but later the whole alien thing wasn't that impressive, yet I enjoyed its unique story line. I originally thought the story was just about some psycho pyromaniac kid who would light his school on fire during an exam, but I was very wrong.
The characters were interesting, and the ending was a huge surprise! Did not see that coming!! The ending kind of reminded of the wizard of oz...lol
Still I loved how everything was explained, grea
Justin
Jul 08, 2012 Justin rated it it was ok
FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! Heh heh. FIRE!

But in all seriousness, how hard is it to set California on fire? I've never been there, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that California is always on fire all the time anyway. What's broham going to do, flick a cigarette? What a badass. If your state is basically a huge pile of kindling, plenty of people have probably set it on fire by accident. I'm really not impressed so far.
Bree
Apr 10, 2012 Bree rated it it was ok
I was a huge Christopher Pike fan as a teenager, but by the time this one was published, I was in my 20s and had kind of forgotten about his books. I found this at a used book store on the clearance rack and decided to see what I have been missing the last 12 years. Not much. I don't remember every single Pike book I ever read, but I remember enough to know that this was a very weak entry. The characters are extremely unlikeable and the plot is too adventurous without enough follow through.
Jesus Alberto
Feb 26, 2013 Jesus Alberto rated it liked it
This story made me go coo this had so many twist and turns that it hurt my head. It makes you really pay attention I had to read it twice. It made you think on the way of your life. Plus it started off as a normal teen life then it turn into a sci-fi story. I also feel bad for the little girl at the end. Well no matter my opinion it's a ok bool
Earl
Jul 23, 2012 Earl rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 2008, reread
Magic Fire by Christopher Pike. Yet another reread- the story was all over the place but in a good way. I would describe it as "The Wizard of Oz" on crack. It was a fun read involving pyromania, psychic abilities, aliens, and mind-altering drugs.
Zehra
Feb 08, 2013 Zehra rated it it was ok
What's real and what's not? How are we to know? I am so confused. Way too much Inception to understand. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Yeah, that could be it too. Whatever. This book annoys me -____-
Deviki
Jul 14, 2009 Deviki rated it liked it
Recommended to Deviki by: classmates
one of the best books i read when i was a teenager....i still remember i used to sneak reading CP's books during my maths class .....
Ruby
Aug 15, 2011 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Mr. Pike kept me on my toes with this one. i was definitely not expecting the ending. nicely done!
Audrey
Jul 30, 2011 Audrey rated it liked it
One of my favorite authors. Some stuff is brilliant, some is just bizarre.
Theresa Whelan
Apr 22, 2014 Theresa Whelan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christopher-pike
It was not one of my favorite ones of his but it was interesting
Ascel kadhem
Apr 07, 2012 Ascel kadhem rated it did not like it
This book is not about fire, it is about aliens!!!!!!! ugghhhhhhhhh.
phazleeanna
Oct 14, 2012 phazleeanna rated it it was ok
I liked it when the ending 'burned' me alright.
pallas - the dark one
Jan 08, 2011 pallas - the dark one rated it really liked it
cool. super hi-tech aliens
Saalanizam
Sep 16, 2013 Saalanizam rated it liked it
fascinating
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Vash Jhurkut
Vash Jhurkut marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jesicca Ward
Jesicca Ward rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
N
N rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Tasha-Lynn
Tasha-Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Aviya Jacoba
Aviya Jacoba rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Lauryn
Lauryn rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Evolussion (Book Two of the Infinion Series)
  • The Stolen Diary (Sweet Valley High, #84)
  • Christmas Killer (Point Horror)
  • Spell of the Screaming Jokers (Ghosts of Fear Street, #20)
  • The Passion (Dark Visions, #3)
  • Xenophobia
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...