Start by marking “Magic Fire” as Want to Read:
Magic Fire

Magic Fire

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Since he was a child, Mark Charm has loved to watch fires. But now it's his senior year of high school and this pyromaniac is taking his personal obsession citywide. It is a dry autumn in Southern California and the desert winds are blowing. Mark has a box of matches. Would it be so bad if he set the state on fire in the middle of the night?
Published June 1st 1998 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Magic Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Fire

Jeanette
I was pretty disapointed with this book. i love christopher pike but this book just got way out there. it was cool at first, then it got too sci-fi and then it just went way out there. a few time si was like- huh? i am soooooooo freaking confused. the ending- it must have been beyond me. god- i read his books in high school- is my brain turning to mush?
Deanna
Reminds me of The Matrix in many ways.
PurplyCookie
Mark Charm is not your average high school student, even in the Los Angeles of the near future. Nor is he your average pyromaniac. This teen is able to start fires with the power of his mind.

This pyro-kinetic ability leads him and his girlfriend into a crusade to free Earth from alien domination. The story is so convoluted that it is hard to follow. The premise is implausible--aliens have harvested human brains and are keeping them in vats, but the humans don't realize this has happened--but thi
Rose Minnie
This is one of the most confusing books i have ever read. It's so weird and yet, the idea was good. I was confused about the genre of the book but the epilogue was the only thing that gave clarity to everything.
This may have been one of the worst books I've ever read...
Sabrina
This was definitely an interesting book, the beginning was good, but later the whole alien thing wasn't that impressive, yet I enjoyed its unique story line. I originally thought the story was just about some psycho pyromaniac kid who would light his school on fire during an exam, but I was very wrong.
The characters were interesting, and the ending was a huge surprise! Did not see that coming!! The ending kind of reminded of the wizard of oz...lol
Still I loved how everything was explained, grea
Justin
FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! Heh heh. FIRE!

But in all seriousness, how hard is it to set California on fire? I've never been there, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that California is always on fire all the time anyway. What's broham going to do, flick a cigarette? What a badass. If your state is basically a huge pile of kindling, plenty of people have probably set it on fire by accident. I'm really not impressed so far.
Bree
I was a huge Christopher Pike fan as a teenager, but by the time this one was published, I was in my 20s and had kind of forgotten about his books. I found this at a used book store on the clearance rack and decided to see what I have been missing the last 12 years. Not much. I don't remember every single Pike book I ever read, but I remember enough to know that this was a very weak entry. The characters are extremely unlikeable and the plot is too adventurous without enough follow through.
Jesus Alberto
This story made me go coo this had so many twist and turns that it hurt my head. It makes you really pay attention I had to read it twice. It made you think on the way of your life. Plus it started off as a normal teen life then it turn into a sci-fi story. I also feel bad for the little girl at the end. Well no matter my opinion it's a ok bool
Earl
Magic Fire by Christopher Pike. Yet another reread- the story was all over the place but in a good way. I would describe it as "The Wizard of Oz" on crack. It was a fun read involving pyromania, psychic abilities, aliens, and mind-altering drugs.
Zehra
What's real and what's not? How are we to know? I am so confused. Way too much Inception to understand. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Yeah, that could be it too. Whatever. This book annoys me -____-
Deviki
Jul 14, 2009 Deviki rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Deviki by: classmates
one of the best books i read when i was a teenager....i still remember i used to sneak reading CP's books during my maths class .....
Ruby
Mr. Pike kept me on my toes with this one. i was definitely not expecting the ending. nicely done!
Audrey
One of my favorite authors. Some stuff is brilliant, some is just bizarre.
Theresa Whelan
It was not one of my favorite ones of his but it was interesting
Ascel kadhem
This book is not about fire, it is about aliens!!!!!!! ugghhhhhhhhh.
phazleeanna
I liked it when the ending 'burned' me alright.
pallas - the dark one
cool. super hi-tech aliens
Natalie Couch
Natalie Couch marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sarah Justice
Sarah Justice marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 28, 2015
Curious_Georgia
Curious_Georgia marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
  • Evolussion (Book Two of the Infinion Series)
  • Alone in the Crowd (Sweet Valley High, #28)
  • House of a Thousand Screams (Ghosts of Fear Street, #17)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Possessed (Dark Visions, #2)
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)