Start by marking “The Cold One” as Want to Read:
The Cold One

The Cold One

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,308 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Los Angeles police are investigating two strings of gruesome deaths. One killer has left several horribly mangled corpses; the other murderer kills his victims seemingly without touching them. The investigators have only a single set of fingerprints to link the two series of crimes. — Journalist Peter Jacobs is dragged into the investigation when he receives an anonymo ...more
Published December 15th 1995 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Cold One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold One

Elizabeth
This book was really well written with a new take on eastern religion, which I didn't know much about before this book. There are tons of interesting and well fleshed out characters populating this book. And it was actually easy to keep track of them all and really fun to see there seperate story lines come together in the end. The end was really exciting and the story was tied up nicely. I highly reccomend this one to horror fans as well as Christopher Pike fans ready to graduate to his adult n ...more
Sara
One of Pike's few adult novels, I have to say I absolutely loved this book. By creating a character that is not human as the focal point of the novel, Pike is essentially asking questions about what it really means to be human. The enigmatic quality of the plot and the masterful way in which Pike can almost always create characters with depth only adds to this book. Few adults are aware of Pike's novels, and this one was amazing.
Laurie
Wild, just wild. This adult novel by Pike blends horror with sci-fi elements, Hinduism and just plain mad craziness. Most of it read pretty slow though. Why did he stop writing? Entertaining stuff.
Wordsmith Johnson
Another adult novel I tried to get into, spurred on by my dedication to my favorite y/a author...but not much luck. I finished it, but I had a hard time really getting into the eastern mysticism angle.
Imalamefairy
even from the beginning this book was captivating. amazing how it tied into the story later on and the characters were so easy to follow that even if it was easy it was still really curious.
when i finished reading i was so happy to realize that it had a second one and that it could be in my school library when i went to look for it it wasn't there and i was upset for about two days before i got my hands on another book
what really made me curious was the near end when the cold one went to califo
Kaylee
Los Angeles police are baffled by two strings of murders linked only by one fingerprint. Half of the victims are ripped apart and the other half seem to have suffocated. Journalist Peter Jacobs is pulled into the investigation when he gets a call from a mysterious man who may or may not be the killer. Julie Moore, a graduate student investigating near death experiences, becomes involved when Jerry Washington contacts her about the weird behavior of his girlfriend who nearly drowned a few days pr ...more
Paul Darcy
Written by prolific author Christopher Pike, this book (not one of his numerous young adult offerings) is a true to the genre horror book.

It comes complete with those familiar situations where you just know the victims are toast (slang for they will be killed), an almost unbeatable evil that is so, for lack of a better word, "cold" you just know trouble is on the brew and all of mankind could be in peril.

A fairly long and convoluted plot including mystic Eastern philosophies and prophecies too.
Chelsea
Christopher Pike is a brilliant YA Thriller writer, and I was happy to see that this book was still well put together and a great read eventhough it was definately for adults. I liked that there were many different story lines at the beginning, but they gradually all came together. Some books that have many different characters and places and seperate stories are difficult to understand and sometimes fail to hold my attention. Pike skillfully weaved his characters into one story with one plot. T ...more
Lacie
One huge illustration of why Christopher Pike's work is generally very unlikely to get moving adaptions - What works in this novel would probably end up in exploitation film territory, without doubt, what with fetuses going into garbage disposals and all.

Though, without doubt, I found this novel oddly great. It was more thought provoking than I thought it would be. If it wouldn't have been for 'The Midnight Club' this would have definitely been my favorite CP novel. It has a very interesting pl
Rachel Danielle Schiavone
Terrific, in the truest sense of the word. Akin to the terror of Dan Simmons' "Song of Kali." (You might want to consider taking a Rorschach test before reading...).
Melanie Johnson
One of the best books Pike has ever written. Loved every page of it!
Monica Lynn
*shivers* if religion alone wasn't already frightening...
Jessica
I always enjoyed Christopher Pike when I was younger. A few back, I read Falling which is one of his adult novels. I really enjoyed that book a lot. I was actually looking forward to reading this book.

This is one of the few books I have read that I really did not like. I actually enjoyed reading it in the beginning. But the way the story progressed felt rushed. The ending seemed incomplete. The last line promises the story will continue in another book which nearly 15 years later has yet to be
Christine
I really enjoyed this book.
BeautifulNerd
I love Christopher Pike usually, but this one derailed a bit to be honest.

Also was slightly disappointed that the black main character was part of a gang, for no reason that related to the main story. Coincidentally I had just finished reading the Remember Me trilogy in which there are the first Hispanic characters I had ever encountered in a Pike novel - all of whom were also part of a gang as a pointless side-story. I hope I'm wrong but I'm seeing quite a crummy theme emerging in his portrayal
크리스티
I didn't care much for this book. I thought it was going to have more "thriller" in it but it was a lot of religion and philosophy in it. I skimmed a few parts when it was about the Master so I'm pretty sure I probably missed a lot but as the book was going on I was getting confused with all the characters and the names and who is who. The "bad person" is very easily guessed since there is a lot of lead up to her.
Marilyn
Two stars. Didn't finish reading this book, as it became too gruesome for me. Ick. I was tired of the bad language anyway--the author tried to keep it real with foul words from a former gang member character. I had to skip over the graphic sex, which I wasn't thrilled about seeing by this author. I had high hopes for this thriller, given that the author wrote such popular teen books in the 90's.
Tenaya Jayne
This one took me by surprise. I picked it up at a used book store. It held my attention. Grossed me out a few times. As it came to the climax, I was enthralled with the answers Pike was giving. Just when I was thinking it was brilliant, he lost me on a silly detail. Still, it was good and worth a read. A different twist on the idea of the origin of vampires.
Sabrina
Loved this book! At first it was a little confusing but I loved how all the stories kinda met near the ending, even with rak. I found it not so much horror, but the part where the husband crushes the aborted fetus with his shoe, and it kept squirming. The ending was a cliffhanger sort of, I really want to read the sequel!
Kyrsten
Okay - This is a really good book & invovles mythology mixed with the present day. The only thing that really gets me about this book is that there was suppose to be a second book - The Cold One II - Seedling, it never came out - so be prepared for that. Other wise it you love the SciFi Thrillers like I do you should enjoy
Ziad Khashram
This was one of the first books I read of this genre, didn't know what to expect. I found it a bit slow at the beginning, maybe a chapter a night, but when it took off, so did the chapter /night.

I liked the idea, a good easy read on a long plane ride or train.
Moseka Garcia
Christopher Pike was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen. I was very disappointed with this book. I could not finish it. There were way too many characters in the beginning, and the story was going nowhere. Maybe I will give it another try one day.
Kate
Back in high school I sometimes wrote to my favorite authors, and when I wrote to Christopher Pike, he sent an autographed bookplate for this book... unfortunately, I got the book from the library, so I never got to put the book plate in an actual book.
Kilgallen
A very intresting book. I really liked the eastern philosophy included. A very unique story line. I am a little disappointed the sequel that was promoted at the end of the book was never published. However it does stand well on its own.
Alex Sheldon Savva
Known mainly as a teenage horror writer, when Pike writes adult fiction like this, he rivals every other prolific author in the horror/thriller genre.
Read it back in 2002 and still have fond memories of how immensely I enjoyed it.
Ange
The first book I ever read from the adult section in my local library! Automatically a special book. I loved the depth of story and the real mystery of it, which gave me a real love of horrors and mystery novels as an adult
Jessica
This is what happens when I run out of books to read. I get into the crap mass market's stored in my attic. Read this 10+ years ago & had completely forgotten the story Not a great read the second time.
Jackie
I always loved Christopher Pike's books when I was a teenager but this book had WAY too many characters and scenarios to keep up with. I got halfway through and couldn't finish.
Wendy
Eerie and pleasantly like nothing else I have read. To have that much absence of emotion and feeling is very hard to comprehend, but it makes it compelling to try to understand.
Jessica (j*&p*)
This was good, some solid proof that Christopher Pike can still scare the crap out of me. After this one though, I am going to have to swear off of scary books for a while.
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Alone in the Crowd (Sweet Valley High, #28)
  • Billy
  • Superstitious
  • Crimson
  • Cold Moon Over Babylon
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • Blood Roots
  • Blind Panic (Manitou, #5)
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)