Start by marking “I Heart Sex Workers: A Christian Response to People in the Sex Trade” as Want to Read:
I Heart Sex Workers: A Christian Response to People in the Sex Trade

I Heart Sex Workers: A Christian Response to People in the Sex Trade

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Paying for sex - engaging in "the oldest profession" - is everywhere, even in your church. The factors leading individuals into sex work are as varied as hair colors, yet sex workers are viewed as powerless individuals who must be rescued. I Heart Sex Workers offers another perspective, one where the characters defy stereotypes and solutions are hard to find. Author Lia Sc ...more
Published March 15th 2013 by Chalice Press (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about I Heart Sex Workers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Heart Sex Workers

Elizabeth
First, I will tell you what I know. This book gives a wonderful, accessible introduction to systemic oppression and anti-oppression work in general. These ideas are both critically important and really tough concepts... and this book is a great place to start, with straightforward definitions and examples to explain. Scholl also has some wonderful instruction to give on basic pastoral care: active listening, being truly present to someone, and helping to empower people simply by acknowledging th ...more
Christie Hagerman
The rescue of human trafficking victims is all the buzz these days. Christian organizations, private mercenaries, government officials, humanitarian workers--everyone is on top of efforts to rescue men, women, boys, and girls who are forced into sexual slavery. And this is good.

But sometimes the focus on this area of sex work causes us to make broad generalizations about all people involved in the trade, generalizations that simply aren't always true.

Lia Scholl draws on years of experience to
Stormy
On the whole, I Heart Sex Workers is a very balanced, insightful look at what the Christian response to the sex industry should be. It does a good job of debunking myths, providing real stories of workers, and quite a bit of experience. However, the main thing I couldn't get over is the author's portrayal of those fighting human trafficking. Towards the beginning of the book, this portrayal was fair and balanced, as well as making the good points that people working in those agencies don't alway ...more
Fr. River
This book is a great book detailing the author's own journey in working with female sex workers and coming to a harm reduction Christian response. Her response of acceptance without judgment is similar to mind in work with male sex workers. She gives a good back ground in harm reduction and brings into it the Christian perspective. Excellent book!
Kayla Devlieg
Although I didn't agree with everything he author writes, I loved this book. You get a whole new perspective on sex work and how to go about ministering to those within the industry. Would recommend this to anyone!
Tori
I heard the author speak at a harm reduction conference last September. I was glad to see that she had written a book. I loved this book, and I learned a lot reading it.
Janice
Janice is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
Sanguisette
Sanguisette marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Claire Cox-woodlief
Claire Cox-woodlief marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kim Eshleman
Kim Eshleman marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
James D
James D marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
David
David added it
Aug 23, 2014
Mercy
Mercy added it
Jul 04, 2014
Kris Brown
Kris Brown is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
May 15, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Becky Durham
Becky Durham marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013