The Immortal

The Immortal

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,602 ratings  ·  71 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Christopher Pike takes his storytelling magic to Greece in a gripping new thriller. On vacation with her parents and her best friend, Josie stumbles upon an ancient artifact while visiting a sacred island. Enchanted, Josie takes the tiny statue, and the horror begins.
Published 1993 by Hodder & Stoughton

Remember Me by Christopher PikeProm Dress by Lael LittkeTrick or Treat by Richie Tankersley CusickBury Me Deep by Christopher PikeApril Fools by Richie Tankersley Cusick
1980's- early 90's Young Adult Fiction
52nd out of 118 books — 56 voters
Fall Into Darkness by Christopher PikeThe Party by Christopher PikeChain Letter by Christopher PikeThe Season of Passage by Christopher PikeThe Graduation by Christopher Pike
Best of Christopher Pike
27th out of 27 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Read this back in 2004 or maybe early 2005 when I was going through my Pike phase, and loved it (I didn't want to put it down!), but I know well enough not to reread books I loved as a preteen or else it'll ruin it! :P
Donna
First, the chronology of that blurb is off. Josie stumbles upon the statue after a few of those events already occur and she starts dreaming about the goddess. Second, personally, I think that blurb is a little misleading but once you start reading the story, it makes more sense in context. But from just reading the blurb, the story's not exactly how it sounds.

My biggest (and pretty much only) issue with this book was the voice. It makes me wonder about the difference in perception of the YA voi...more
the first book i finished in 2005 was the immortal by christopher pike. i read it back in 1993 when i was way in to mr. pike and was buying all of his books. i really liked it then. it was a little creepy, a little hot, and a good story. it made me obsessed with greece and for years i read about greece and researched the place and planned on going there. i would still like to go of course, but i'm no longer obsessed. when i read it recently, twelve years later, i realized how incredibly poorly w...more
Jason Sta. Maria
My friend told me that this was one of his favorite books of all-time that's why I borrowed and read it. The story was very simple and the flows was great! Not only that it also includes some great lessons about the Greek mythology.
Margaret Breidenbaugh
Not Shakespeare, but a definite guilty pleasure! I have read this book probably 15 times since I got it in middle school. A fun, sexy, Eurocentric plot woven together by R. L. Stine's only teen horror archnemesis.
Kelly
This is one of those books from my youth that I read over and over. I've always had an interest in ancient Greece, and Pike's fun style of writing made it a fantastic read for me. I read it again as an adult.
Kary Ison
One of my all-time favorites. It was one of my first "grown-up" books as a teenager. I had spent my entire youth reading nothing but R.L. Stine's Goosebumps. This definitely made me want to branch out.
Kennady Mays
This Book is about josie going on a vacation to Rome with her friend Helen.But when she finds a little statue of a goddess is when the goddess wants josies body.
Colleen
I absolutely love this book! It's definitely my favorite of all of Pike's novels. The storyline is very unique, and deliciously neo-pagan (whether or not he meant it to be).
Chris
Oh Christopher Pike, my middle school love...you really don't hold up well in adulthood, as I've discovered with this reread. Still, thanks for the nostalgia!
(This review may contain spoilers).

This is another book that I read originally quite a long time ago - one that I got out of the school library. The title and author name stayed with me for quite a while until I ordered it from one of the shops.

I think this might have been the first thing I ever read with the Greek gods in it. I found that, although the plot was a bit simplistic in parts, it was still an enjoyable read with interesting characters and a good storyline.

I didn't think there was muc...more
Gloria Piper
The Immortal, Christopher Pike

With all the deep novels out there that demand contemplation, sometimes you want a light read that takes your brain on a mini vacation. The Immortal, an aptly titled story for young adults, does just that as we follow two girls who are on their own vacation, one destined to change their lives. Josie’s screenwriter father pays the way to Greece for himself, his new girlfriend, his daughter, and her friend Helen. There, we taste Greece, the vibrant tourism, the steep...more
Filthy Little
Kelsie Beaudoin (The Bookworm)
Before I start this review, I just want to say I LOVE Christopher Pike. His Last Vampire Series consumed my middle school days. It killed me that the library did not have the entire series. But they did have this book. So I read it then, and I have read it again. I still love Christopher Pike.

The Immortal is about a Greek goddess who is punished by being made mortal. She doesn’t have any of her memories of being a goddess, but when she finds a statue in Crete she begins to dream of a goddess.

Spo...more
Brooke
This book was really good though at times I got confused and had to reread some sections. Never the less it would sort of simple to follow and I had no idea as to the outcome of the story, pretty good story line just a little shaky. Loved it though. :)
Michelle
I loved Christopher Pike in middle school and high school. My coworker found this in her attic and brought it to the office for me to have a stroll down memory lane. It was a fast read, but I didn't feel like Christopher Pike was really into this book. I feel like he took a vacation in Greece and was like, "Well, I might as well make some money off of it," and just wrote whatever came into his head, which was a bit silly. BUT I do still admire the man and want to read some of his other books b/c...more
Schnapes
Very original story and a boon for anyone interested in Greek mythology, fast paced captivating story with a great ending. Only negative are the characters seemed a little dated.
Robi Stones
I loved this book! I read it as a 15 year old, and was completely sucked into the world of olympus and the goddesses.
Angie
This is one of the few Christopher pike books I didn't read as a teen...I think it must have come out after I was out of my CP phase. Lol

I have said it before and will repeat again, I LOVED his books!

I found this at the thrift store and knew I had to buy and read. I liked it a lot for what it was...a YA book. He spins neat stories and the setting in Greece and the mythology gave it a fresh take and made it different from most of his other books. SO happy I found this! I'm trying to find old cop...more
Jeannee
The last time I read this was about 19 years ago. Back then I had almost every Christopher Pike book that came out, and now I kick myself for "lending" them out (with no obligation to return - that's what good 13-year-old book lovers do for other 13-year-old book lovers, right?) because they are SO difficult to find now!

I was lucky to find this one at my local library. I knew I had read it but the details were a bit fuzzy. I was pretty sure this wasn't one of my faves back then, but by the time...more
Kate
Just the book I needed to help me through the long day before I go on vacation (to New York for BEA!). it reminds me of the good old days when I would get a new Pike book and just read and read until I was.done. Loved the Greek mythology and well drawn characters- its really amazing that Pike wasn't afraid to have his teen characters be interested in sex, especially since th majority of his Ya books were written in the late 80'a/early 90's. If you haven't had the chance to read the first book in...more
Sara
I don't know what it is about this book that I love so much. Maybe it's the Greek myth storyline, or incarnate lives, or just the plot in general but this book is one of my favorites. The first paragraph has always stayed with me about, "coming home to a place I had never been before". I reread this again for the umpteenth time and I like it just as much as I did when I was 13/14 years old in the 90s when Christopher Pike was so popular. I have always wished that a movie would get made based on...more
Meg
I read all of Pike's young adult books when I was little - probably starting off at around 8 after my brother started reading them, and I reread them for years. They're so much fun! They're especially good for kids and teens because the writing is smart and the stories really are bizarre. They make you think. For weeks after finishing a Pike book I would mull it over in my mind. They might be heavy on violence, but how great is it to introduce to kids good writing that will keep them interested...more
Kristy
This is definitely one of Pike's weaker books, although it still had a few charms. Josie has just graduated from high school and goes on a vacation to Greece with her dad, his girlfriend, and her best friend Helen (who she oddly doesn't seem to like at all). Once there she and Helen fall into their usual pattern of fighting over the same guy. And then Josie starts having dreams filled with Greek gods, finds a weird statue, and everything becomes a bit unhinged. Not well written at all, but a qui...more
Annie Abbondante
Being a general lover of Christopher Pike, I read this some time in middle school. It's not nearly one of the best of his books ever, but it made a permanent impression on me. Eating glass happens in the story, and for like three months after the book, I refused to eat anything that my mother didn't make or that wasn't cooked in front of me. I guess the book itself wasn't that great, but I STILL think about it all the time, so it made an impression!!
Eli Ippolito
I have been looking for this book for a LONG LONG time! I could never remember the authors name bc I kept thinking it was by the author of Goosebumps. I remember reading this when I was in middle school and it is one of few that have stuck with me this long. Now I never read any of his other books at the time and I still haven't read anything by him in the many years since but I LOVED this book forever and now I MUST find a copy of my own!!!
Delicious Strawberry
this story starts off normal with a teenage girl on a vacation to Greece. She has what seems to her like an hallucination, and the story unfolds. At first it seems to be just one story, but it's actually two stories in one, closely connected with one another and giving a surprising and fresh take on mythology.

This is one of my favorite books by this author - he wrote some really good books, and this is definitely one of them.
Sara
This is up there with my favorites by Pike, and it was actually pretty funny in addition to his normal scary fare. It took place in sunny, beautiful Greece, and Pike masterfully transports the reader there. It may not be as accurate historically as an adult book, but come on, these are YA books. It was another favorite for me.
Necia
This is definitely a young adult book, with a tad bit of sexual innuendos. It had a lot of underlying greek mythology, which I couldn't bother to read, so I skimmed it. Unfortunately the greek mythology is what sealed the plot. Oh well! An ok book for me, maybe more interesting to an actual "Young" adult.
Jessica
I read Christopher Pike when I was 12-14. He has a great writing style that can actually capture the attention of a 12 year old. Plus he wrote so many books you could never catch up...which made them addictive. They are quick mystery reads. A little smut here and there, but nothing real graphic. haha
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Silent Night (Fear Street Superchiller, #1)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Prom Dress
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm...more
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4)