Start by marking “The Season of Passage” as Want to Read:
The Season of Passage

The Season of Passage

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,614 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
Dr. Lauren Wagner was a celebrity. She was involved with the most exciting adventure mankind had ever undertaken. The whole world admired and respected her.

But Lauren knew fear.

Inside--voices entreating her to love them.

Outside--the mystery of the missing group that had gone before her. The dead group.
But where they simply dead?

Or something else?

A terrifying novel of horro
Published October 15th 1993 by Tor Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Season of Passage, please sign up.

Lordshiva Not a sequel, a prequel. Pike needs to write the beginning story of the first war between the sastra and asurians. To get a feel for the origins of…moreNot a sequel, a prequel. Pike needs to write the beginning story of the first war between the sastra and asurians. To get a feel for the origins of the asurians and the sastra and I REALLY wanted to see rankar in action.
(less)
The Season of Passage by Christopher PikeFall Into Darkness by Christopher PikeWhisper of Death by Christopher PikeDie Softly by Christopher PikeChain Letter by Christopher Pike
Best of Christopher Pike
1st out of 32 books — 26 voters
Blindsight by Peter WattsShip of Fools by Richard Paul RussoHyperion by Dan SimmonsHull Zero Three by Greg BearLeviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
Space horror
10th out of 161 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
May 13, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non sci-fi readers who dare to take a chance
Recommended to Caroline by: No one. I happen to stumble upon it
First of all, to really get why I've chosen this as one of my favorites, you must know the deep love affair I've had with Christopher Pike. Growing up in my neighborhood, it was either Christopher Pike, R.L. Stine, or for the more dramatic ones, Cynthia Voight. I ate all of Mr. Pike's books up and from the horror genres, I moved up to the eerie drama/thriller collections of V.C. Andrews. But I never forgot Christopher Pike and my obsession with his stuff.

I remember going to Barnes and Nobles one
Jen
Mar 16, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
First of all, I can't believe all of Christopher Pike's books are on here. And that I've read them. And that people are actually reviewing them. He was my jam when I was young. They were for me what mystery novels are for middle-aged housewives. I devoured his books. This is one of his adult offerings, and I loved it. Vampires on Mars. Really, I'm not kidding. I was reading this around the time Under the Pink came out and I spent a lot of time in my room contemplating life and this book and wish ...more
Ashlie Nelson
Feb 20, 2013 Ashlie Nelson rated it it was amazing
I really love this book and have read it literally 20 times or more over the years. I wish there was another book to follow this story. I really fell in love with Princess Chaneen and her people. The fantasy story within the story that kept coming up throughout the book was one of the most exiting parts I believe
Josh
May 28, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
There are really only four words you need to hear to understand this book: Lizard vampires from Mars. I'm sure those of you of a certain age range will remember Christopher Pike from his popular young adult horror novels that graced every book store the nation over during a time period. This was the second of his "adult" works, and boy is it batshit insane.

This is the story of Dr. Lauren Wagner, a medical doctor who is taken on a trip to the fourth rock from the sun despite being the most irres
Bill
Jan 04, 2011 Bill rated it it was amazing
What a shame that this book is no longer in print.
If not for Goodreads, I would never have heard of it, and being out of print, I figured it would be another of those long searched-for novels that would stay on my to-read list forever.
But, last month yielded a major used book score, including this one!

Well, it sure held up to the hype. Maybe it was because this was exactly what I needed at the time, but I must say that this was one of the more enjoyable reads I had this year. It's definitely not
Lordshiva
Jan 01, 2015 Lordshiva rated it it was amazing
Nanci Schwartz
Apr 11, 2012 Nanci Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Updated April 2012: Yup, still just as good. Want to cry now. :(

-----

I first read this book when I was 12 or 13 and I can't count the number of times I've read it since. This book appealed to me because it was about space, and at that age I was certain I was going to be an astronaut when I grew up. I became engrossed in the story and couldn't put it down. It's hard for me to put into words why I like this book so much. Just reading the first 50 pages again, I can tell that it's not spectacularly
Bmj2k
Sep 13, 2014 Bmj2k rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
PurplyCookie
In 1996, the first unmanned space probe to land on Mars sent back sensational analyses (including secret pictures of huge footprints) before going dead. Four years later, the Russian crew of the manned Lenin loses contact in mid-mission. When the first American crew, which includes Dr. Lauren Wagner as medical officer, lands there in 2002, the mysteries expand rather than resolve, and author Pike hits top suspense with the American team discovering a Russian cosmonaut still alive in his bed in t ...more
Wordsmith Johnson
Jun 19, 2007 Wordsmith Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: haveread
Read it when got oh, so old and mature, too old and mature for Christopher Pike's teen-themed horror novels. I liked it, but I never liked his adult fiction as much as his teen fiction...and I absolutely loved his teen fiction. I just think he writes better from the adolescent voice. Still, it has the trademark haunting qualities, in a way.
Maryam
Aug 06, 2007 Maryam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes bone chilling horror
Shelves: readinhighschool
This book was one of my favorites in high school. It is still for me one of hte most terrifying books I have ever read, and I don't even know what it was about the book that struck such a cord of terror! One of the few Pike books that was written more towards adults than teens.
Phoe
Apr 25, 2014 Phoe rated it it was ok
Starts of well but gradually collapses under it's own weight like a jelly made with an overly large mould.
StarMan
3-word summary: Creepy Mars expedition.
My rating: 2.75 blood droplets, rounded to 3.
First line: It was a nightmare. But Lauren Wagner did not know that. It's often that way with bad dreams .

SEASON OF PASSAGE opens in 2004, as an American-Japanese crew prepare to sleep-hibernate their way to Mars -- obstensibly to determine the fate of the Russians who preceeded them. Our main stars are a lady surgeon/astronaut and her Earth-bound beau, though other characters play major roles.

lifeforce6

As you probably
Jamie White
Mar 28, 2013 Jamie White rated it really liked it
This book, one of Pike's adult novels, tells the tale of a space crew who embarks of a mission to mars in order to find out what happened to the first people to explore the planet. Along the way, they encounter things they never believed possible.

I remember reading this book for the first time back in the '90s and getting chills. The whole mission to mars was a tense ride and Pike builds the anticipation gradually, revealing bits and pieces of the puzzle in doses that leave you wanting more.

Wh
Justin
I'm going to be self-indulgent for a moment and use this space to rant about authors from the '80s and '90s updating their books for re-release. I don't like it. It's stupid, unnecessary, annoying, and mostly seems to involve the author throwing in a line or two about how cell phones don't work in the middle of wherever the characters are stranded where bad things are happening to them.

Christopher Pike chose not to update this book (possibly because it's marketed for adults, and apparently publi
Deanna Stidham
Kimberly
Jan 31, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Wow, 20 years ago (holy cow, that was painful to type!) this was the first book to scare the bejeezus out of me. I had voraciously consumed all of Christopher Pike's tween-thrillers up to this point, but my palette wasn't quite prepared for the depth of creepy/scary flavor that Season of Passage contained. I remember reading about 80% of the book, then arriving at a convenient chapter break and hiding the book at the bottom of my underwear drawer. I think I finally finished it 2 or 3 years later ...more
Sean Nelson
Mar 05, 2013 Sean Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
My Wife talked me into reading this book. She has read it lots of times so I finally gave in and so glad that I did. From my understanding he is more of a young adult Author, but does write Adult books as well. This is one of his adult books. I was drawn into the story very quickly and you really become attached to all the characters. I would categorize this as Horror/ Sci Fi. I know there are allot of books that take place and have to do with Mars right now. That seems to be a big thing, but th ...more
Erin Callahan
Jan 09, 2015 Erin Callahan rated it liked it
(Excerpt from my review at Forever Young Adult.)

You guys, this book makes NO FUCKING SENSE. I mean, it DOES, in that I have written out what happens to the best of my ability but I think whoever edited this thing was VERY VERY HIGH ON LSD. Because it is really just a terribly written and edited book. It skips around; it doesn't explain things, and half of the scenes just sort of start in the middle of a conversation. I was either too drunk or not drunk enough for this book. I still don't know.

(R
Kindra Gillis
Mar 05, 2013 Kindra Gillis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I first read this book about 15 years ago, and to date, I have read it more times than I can count. This is THE book to which I compare all other horror novels. I have recommended this book, and will continue to recommend it, to absolutely anyone who wants a good scare. I still get chills when I read this book - and usually even have a nightmare or two. Pike shows in his adult novels, especially this one (and Falling, another book that I highly recommend) that he has much more to offer than teen ...more
Karyl
Jun 13, 2010 Karyl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book when it first came out, seventeen years ago, and images from it have still stuck in my head. I'm not one of those people who can remember everything about every book she's ever read, so for me to remember this one so vividly is a mark of Christopher Pike's amazing writing. I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning reading -- and then had to sleep with the lights on because I was so scared. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers or science fiction o ...more
Jaxy
May 08, 2015 Jaxy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror, fantasy
This book is not without its flaws. The science in the book is laughable, really; one has to suspend disbelief and throw their knowledge of space right out the window when reading this book. Perhaps I forgive it easily because I've loved this book since I was about 12 (and am now thirty), but it is still, and most-likely always will be, one of my favorite novels of all time. It is indeed outdated, though, and every time I read it, I become more aware of that, but to me, it is still magical.
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Christopher Pike was my favorite author as a teenager. I was thrilled to find out that he's since written several adult novels. The Season of Passage was the one I chose to read and I was thrilled, I enjoyed it every bit as much as his early work. It's that old story of astronauts landing on Mars to find secret horrors but with a really new twist. I also enjoyed the fact that he wove the characters relationships into the plot, something I've always loved about his work.
Jo
May 14, 2011 Jo rated it it was amazing
I will never gaze upon the night sky the same way again. Right now, there is a Mars simulation being conducted by the European Space Agency in Moscow. http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars500/S...

This brings me great fear. Have they not read the Season of Passage? This is easily the best Christopher Pike novel. It is detailed, brilliant, full of wisdom and gore, and it literally scared the shitbuckets out of me.
Clinton
May 19, 2014 Clinton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-collection
What else can I say about Mr. Christopher Pike that hasn't already been said? Each novel that I've read, I've been so enticed by (to say the very least). He creates wonderful characters, a thrilling and creative story while not getting overly complicated with it as well, and definitely has his twists and turns throughout the novel(s).

Growing up, I wasn't much of a book reader. Fortunately since I've hit my 20s, I've started diving into novels even more so and Christopher Pike is leading the way
Jamie Long
Dec 07, 2014 Jamie Long rated it it was amazing
Rachel
Dec 02, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys science fiction/fantasy/horror
Recommended to Rachel by: a friend in high school!
i don't care what anyone says. this is the best science fiction/horror book i've read so far. it's beautiful and sad and scary and awesome. i still think that stephen king is overrated, and christopher pike is severely underrated. please give it a chance.
Brandi
Jan 12, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! So good! It would have been an even 5 had the ending not been just a little too tidy, but still, for my first Pike it was a total success.
Jenni
Jul 20, 2007 Jenni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: H.S.-ers
Enjoyed this in High School, but not sure if I'd recomment it to my friends now. :-)
Sophie
Jan 10, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it
VAMPIRES LIVE ON MARS, AND THEY WANT TO KILL YOU.
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Silent Night (Fear Street Super Chiller, #2)
  • Starting Over (Sweet Valley High, #33)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • Crimson Shadows (Crimson, #3)
  • My Life With Sylvia Browne
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

“Love me...I am not evil.” 33 likes