Start by marking “I Conquer Britain” as Want to Read:
I Conquer Britain
Preview

I Conquer Britain

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A bohemian Brooklyn teen crosses the pond to visit an uptight English family in the hilarious companion to SOPHIE PITT-TURNBULL DISCOVERS AMERICA.

The exchange of daughters that began in SOPHIE-PITT TURNBULL DISCOVERS AMERICA continues! Excited (not to say desperate) as Cherokee Salamanca is to get out of Brooklyn, she starts having doubts about her summer in London even be
Published August 28th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about I Conquer Britain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Conquer Britain

Kylie Noble
I picked this up in my school library, as after reading the blurb It sounded like the kind of book which was light and fun. I was right about it being light... light in any plot, substance or characterization. Limp would actually be a much more aptly descriptive word, it was just so awful! It has to be the worst book I've read in a long time! I think Sheldon's idea is good ,and there is strong potential for an interesting story...but NOTHING happened. The book drags along half dead ,as there is ...more
Meagan
Apr 12, 2009 Meagan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I Conquer Britain is the companion book to Sophie Pitt-Turnbull Discovers America, and has much the same to offer readers. It's funny, lighthearted and a quick read, but light on the characterization and plot development. Cherokee is definitely a more entertaining character than Sophie was, although the supporting characters remained disappointingly flat. Dyan Sheldon has the unfortunate habit of dropping hints about how fascinating a character is, and then never mentioning it again. For instanc ...more
Actually, a pretty funny book. Its more than just the culture clash - the goth Brooklyn girl in ordinary middle-class England. It makes fun of all kinds of things, especially people in general. Cherokee's character is a little vague. Strangely, even though told in first person, it is hard to get a real feel for her. The reader gets her opinion on everything, but not as much on her. And the analogies - they're funny, really funny, but they just go on and on, one would have to be a scholar to get ...more
Wisteriouswoman
I gave it 3 stars because I thought it was laugh-out-loud funny in parts. I'm married to a Brit so I could understand some of the jokes better than most. The biggest disappointment for me was the weak ending. It almost seemed that she intended it to be that way in case she wants to write a sequel. I don't think I will read the companion novel though. I can't imagine that the English gal is half as funny. I might miss most of the jokes because I've never lived in New York.

I'll read the reviews o
Stephanie Duffield
I bought this book at a dollar store because I liked the cover and I'm obsessed with anything British. It was a cute story about a girl going abroad for the first time. I liked hearing about England; the places and events but it was a really safe, almost boring account of one girl's trip there. I probably wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a quick fix. Maybe if you're between books or can only spare a dollar.
Cathy
When Cherokee Salamanca arrives in London, having switched places with Sophie Pitt-Turnbull who's staying at her house in Brooklyn, she's surprised that it looks so much like New Jersey. And she's apalled by the Pepso Bismal color of Sophie's room. But she's up for adventure and winds up having a great time and changing the Pitt-Turnbull family more than a little. A funny book that's a fast read.
Suzanneli4653
Nov 18, 2008 Suzanneli4653 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
This book was very amusing,and fun to read about, but I thought it was pointless. It was just about a teenage girl going to London for the summer. It had no major exciting plot and suspension to make me want to keep reading it. The book wasn't bad though. Reading about her adventures was fun and I enjoyed it even though it wasn't the best book that I read.
rosyaffair
All I need to say is, she does not conquer Britain at all. I was almost half way through the novel, and nothing seemed appealing. The main character and the others around her, never created a scenario of some sort. It was boring. Never said that to a book before, but its true. Sorry for the ones you liked it :)
Mary
Two high school girls, one from London and one from Brooklyn, switch lives for the summer. It's quick and amusing. Its companion is Sophie Pitt-Turnbull Discovers America.
Simona-- I'm kind of intense
I liked it very humorous and witty, especially the end w/ Xar!
I kinda wish they said more about Bachman and Cherry, more about their relationship, at the end.
Jan
A charming chick lit novel about a teenage girl who changes places with a teen from Britain and spends the summer with the British family. Light and amusing.
Sydney-Michelle
This was a fun short read, plus it was set in England, and I'm a sucker for stories that take place in the UK.
Sally
They went to Camden! xD This book was loads of fun, a lovely culture-clash adventure.
Margaret
A fun romp. This was an ARC from BEA last year. Nothing deep but an enjoyable escape.
Kirsten
A fun look at London through an American teen's eyes.
Erin Yahtzee
I couldn't feel any of the characters. This bored me stiff.
C.
Awesome, love every word.
A.
jaegrr
jaegrr added it
Jan 26, 2015
Jeanna
Jeanna marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Caryn
Caryn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Han
Han marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dyan Sheldon is the author of many novels for young adult readers, including the #1 New York Times bestseller CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN, which was made into a major motion picture. American by birth, she lives in North London.
More about Dyan Sheldon...
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #1) My Worst Best Friend The Crazy Things Girls Do for Love My Perfect Life (Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, #2) Planet Janet (Planet Janet, #1)