Start by marking “Hiss-s-s-s!” as Want to Read:
Hiss-s-s-s!

Hiss-s-s-s!

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Omar wants a snake more than anything, but his mom is unenthusiastic to say the least. However, the family manages to strike a compromise: Omar can get a corn snake; but the pet, which he names Arrow, must stay inside Omar's room, where his mom will not have to set eyes on it. When Arrow escapes, the incident becomes a catalyst for Omar to gain a new understanding of his m ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Hiss-s-s-s!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiss-s-s-s!

Ms. Yingling
Jun 09, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Omar would very much like a snake. He has read all sorts of information about them and knows just how to take care of one, from feeding to the habitat the snake will need. The only problem-- his mother is very afraid of snakes and she doesn't want one in the house. Omar's father is okay with the idea, as long as Omar will be responsible for the snake. Omar is. He finds a friend of a friend who parts with all the equipment that he needs for $5. He finds a reputable snake breeder and educates hims ...more
Hannah Jefferson
I gave this book three stars because while I enjoyed it, I am also very fascinated by snakes and in fact used to have a pet ball python. As someone who used to have a pet snake I found this book very realistic and amusing. Omar's mother's reaction to the idea of him getting such a pet was very similar to my own mother's when I proposed the idea to her at the age of thirteen.

There are really no illustrations to discuss, but the small motif of the snake which appears at the beginning of each chapt
Samuel
Jul 12, 2012 Samuel rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Hiss-s-s-s! is the story of Omar, a boy who wants a pet snake, and it includes at least as much information about how to care for snakes as your average pet guide for children. The information is presented as the results of Omar’s research and the guidance given to him by the dealer from whom he obtains his snake, and it didn’t feel out of place or annoying to me, even though I recognized those sections for what they were. For good measure, there’s also some content about phobias, since Omar’s m ...more
Diane
Jun 19, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Omar really wants a snake, but he had to convince his mother that it wouldn't be dangerous. So he does his research: the characteristics of snakes, how to take good care of them, even who to buy from. At a family meeting, they all agree to a list of rules that Omar must follow in order to get and keep a snake. And so the process begins. Omar manages to buy most of the equipment he needs from Samkatt's (his best friend's) neighbor. Omar then finds Snake Dude, a snake breeder with a lot of positiv ...more
Deanna Mlynarczyk
A good story, especially if you are thinking about getting a snake as a pet. It was a little hard for me to read at some points because I do not like snakes, or frozen mice! Kind of grossed me out. The interesting thing is the author talks about snake phobias in the book! Was he thinking about me?
Tiffany
Aug 18, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was ok
Ack! It felt like it was an informational book about how to keep pet snakes more than a story at times. Then a big issue is cracked open on the last few pages but tidily overcome. Should have played a bigger part in the book.
Kinzie
May 15, 2013 Kinzie rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Omar is a kid who wants to take the responsibility to own a snake but what will his mom think when there are dead mice in her fridge? His dad supports Omar and tries to persuade his mom to let him keep the snake. Omar's sister Zara always comes to his room to hold his snake no matter if the snake is in or out of the cage. When Omar's friend Philip comes over to his house, there is some trouble. This is an awesome book.
Mouse Denehy
Oct 13, 2013 Mouse Denehy rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I think this book handles multiculturalism very well by making it not a huge deal but having some affect on the story. As far as an instruction guide for having a pet, not so much but definitely a good lesson in compromise and using resources to your advantage. I do like that the book is paced quickly without feeling rushed and that it's not over complicated.
Danna
Apr 19, 2015 Danna rated it really liked it
My third graders loved this read aloud. I must admit the beginning was tedious for an adult to read but kids were enthralled by the step by step adventure of owning a snake. The last half of the book was fun to read to the kids and they begged for more when we had to stop.
Mel Raschke
Omar convinces his family he can take care of a snake. His mom is afraid of snakes. Arrow the snake disappears. When Omar realizes why his mom is so scared of snakes he needs to find Arrow immediately.
Helen
Jun 10, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok
Shelves: waw-options
This possible WAW nominee started out ok, but then got too instructive and preachy about how to care for snakes. At first it was interesting, but got old fast. This is a no vote for me.
Debbie Graham
Solid, great for anyone who loves snakes. Poignant explanation of the mom's seemingly really irrational fear...
Literary Princess
Sep 23, 2012 Literary Princess rated it did not like it
Shelves: clean, plot-driven
Almost more educational than story.

Multicultural characters.

Boring unless reader is really into snakes.
Serina
Dec 04, 2012 Serina rated it did not like it
this a narrative of how to care for snakes. not a story.
Karen Hackett
Karen Hackett rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Jacob
Jacob added it
Feb 11, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Tabetha
Tabetha rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Melissa Alexander
Melissa Alexander rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Kristie Payne
Kristie Payne rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...