Start by marking “The Schmutzy Family” as Want to Read:
The Schmutzy Family

The Schmutzy Family

The Schmutzys are very messy all week long and Mama seems not to notice, but when Friday comes it is time for everyone to pitch in and clean up for Sabbath.
Published August 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Schmutzy Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schmutzy Family

Michelle McBeth
Jan 22, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
In the Schmutzy family, Mama Schmutzy encourages messes, exploration, and play from Sunday through Friday. But on Friday morning, Mama expects the Schmutzy children to clean up everything in preparation for Sabbath. Then the children help prepare for Sabbath and enjoy their time together as a family at least until Sunday rolls around again.

The illustrations are done in ink and are very colorful and fun.

This is a wonderful story about a Jewish mother who encourages creative play but expects the c
Kayla Eklund
Oct 29, 2012 Kayla Eklund rated it really liked it
The Schmutzy family is an interesting children's book. I don't think I have ever read anything like it before. In The Schmutzy Family, the children are very messy and dirty. They love mud, earthworms, dirt, and frogs. If there's a mess to get into, they're going to find it and get into it.

The mother doesn't mind. There are blueberry stains everywhere, and they even draw on the walls. The mother doesn't even bat an eye. That slightly bothered me. It's not realistic. If I would have done any of t
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Dec 20, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Mama Schmutzy lets her kids explore and create even if it is MESSY (and it does get very messy). She encourages her kids to create and learn but on Friday, she expects all the Schmutzys to help clean up and get ready for the Sabbath.

Why I liked this book –This is a funny book with great illustrations. I like the ending (not telling ;-) ) a lot. It tells an important message – have fun and get messy, but you still have a responsibility to clean up. My Mom let’s us play messy. I like that. It also
Melanie
The Schmutzy kids are allowed to do whatever they like Sunday through Friday morning. This includes building a habitat for frogs in the kitchen sink, redo the wardrobe with tomato sauce, add bananas and other fruit to the pineapples already on the wallpaper.

However, when the children return home Friday morning, covered in mud and cow droppings (they had been jumping over cow pies in a nearby field), Mrs. Schmutzy was not pleased. Shabbos was fast approaching and the couldn't bring in Shabbos loo
Kari Worsham
Oct 13, 2014 Kari Worsham rated it it was ok
"The Schmutzys are very messy all week long and Mama seems not to notice, but when Friday comes it is time for everyone to pitch in and clean up for the Sabbath." It might need to be explained ahead of time or studied about before reading this particular story that the family is Jewish and the Sabbath is on Saturday not Sunday in that faith. Otherwise, that could be confusing. I do like there is a small glossary at the front of Yiddish words used in the story, however a pronunciation guide would ...more
Samantha
Sep 26, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, jewish
A great book about exploring, creating, and experimenting both inside and out. All the mess it creates is supported and encouraged by the parents in this book, but as the Sabbath approaches the whole family joins together to clean up and set right their home, abiding by Jewish traditions. Artwork is detailed enough to support storytelling pre-reading skills.
Ellie Schwartz
Feb 17, 2013 Ellie Schwartz rated it it was amazing
I love this book*! And kids will too. The Schmutzy's spend Sunday through Friday morning getting all kinds of dirty, and Mama Schmutzy cheers them on. On Friday, however, she gets them to clean up themselves and the house so they'll be ready for Shabbat. A joyous, never preachy book, good for a Friday night Shabbat service readaloud.

*except for the part about the worms in kids' hair
Sandy Brehl
A fun story featuring a large family, (not often seen in current PBs) who spend five days each week up to their ears (literally) in mud, bugs, mess, and every conceivable form of "schmutz", with Mom's full endorsement. Their eager effort to "undo" the schmutz in time for the Sabbath is charming and suits this exuberant and energetic bunch.
Elisabeth
Aug 25, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Ahhh. We all need a respite from our messy, chaotic, stinky lives. Sabbath dinner is the perfect way to acheive this for the Schmutzy family. I love how serene and unruffled Mama Schmutzy is - she has a built-in, wipe the slate clean reset button in her week. Maybe she's onto something?
Carol Ekster
Oct 08, 2014 Carol Ekster rated it really liked it
I loved this book. What a clever and fun way to tell about the Jewish Shabbat! The only thing that kept me from giving this five stars was the last page. It would have been much stronger without the two sentences, leaving just "Cannnoooonnnnballll!" and the image. That would have made it perfect!
Great Books
Jul 17, 2012 Great Books added it
Shelves: ages-5-8
For any family that always seems to need a constant house cleaning, this is a great book to read. The Schmutzy family is constantly into some dirty mess and yet mom is patient and kind. She only gets serious when it is time for the Sabbath. Can the kids get it together in time? Reviewer 12
Jess
The Schmutzy kids are messy and Mama doesn't even mind, until Friday comes around. Then everyone pitches in to clean up and get ready for the Sabbath. Love that mom doesn't mind the kids getting messy and discovering new things both indoors and out. Great story and wonderful illustrations.
Hester Rathbone
Mar 04, 2013 Hester Rathbone added it
Shelves: home
A cute book - I kind of like the low-key mom who doesn't mind if the kids get dirty. It's good to know that you don't always need to be uptight about things, but that it's still important to look good for special days and occasions.
Angie
Nov 29, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Schmutzy family loves to explore and create and they don't mind getting dirty either. But they clean up everything including themselves for the Sabbath. Of course it all starts again the next day. This is a fun, creative story. The Schmutzy house would drive me crazy!
Edward Sullivan
Jul 12, 2016 Bethany rated it it was ok
Read for 5427 class
Yossi Gremillion
Jun 09, 2013 Yossi Gremillion rated it it was amazing
Cute book about getting ready for Shabbos. The Shmutzy family have a playful home! Mud pies! Paint! But Shabbos is a special day that requires a group effort to make it hayom koidesh!
Ashley Wesner
Jul 02, 2013 Ashley Wesner rated it it was amazing
Great book about teaching your kids to get messy and have fun but to also be responsible and know how to clean up!
Diane
Apr 15, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Mama Schmutzy has no issues with her children getting dirty and making a mess, she even helps! But when it's time for the Sabbath it's time to clean up!
Sue
Sep 13, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
fun and informational into to sabbath
Paula
Aug 24, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Jacqueline
Jul 31, 2012 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Very cute look at Jewish traditions and free expression.
Virginia Brace
Feb 25, 2013 Virginia Brace rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A fun look at having fun and getting dirty with gusto, but getting cleaned up and ready for the Sabbath with just as much gusto. The Schmutzys really enjoy life!
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Bookbelle
Bookbelle rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013