Start by marking “The Schmutzy Family” as Want to Read:
The Schmutzy Family

The Schmutzy Family

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Schmutzys are very messy all week long and Mama seems not to notice, but when Friday comes it is time for everyone to pitch in and clean up for Sabbath.
Published August 1st 2012 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Schmutzy Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Schmutzy Family

Kari Worsham
"The Schmutzys are very messy all week long and Mama seems not to notice, but when Friday comes it is time for everyone to pitch in and clean up for the Sabbath." It might need to be explained ahead of time or studied about before reading this particular story that the family is Jewish and the Sabbath is on Saturday not Sunday in that faith. Otherwise, that could be confusing. I do like there is a small glossary at the front of Yiddish words used in the story, however a pronunciation guide would ...more
Kayla Eklund
The Schmutzy family is an interesting children's book. I don't think I have ever read anything like it before. In The Schmutzy Family, the children are very messy and dirty. They love mud, earthworms, dirt, and frogs. If there's a mess to get into, they're going to find it and get into it.

The mother doesn't mind. There are blueberry stains everywhere, and they even draw on the walls. The mother doesn't even bat an eye. That slightly bothered me. It's not realistic. If I would have done any of t
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Mama Schmutzy lets her kids explore and create even if it is MESSY (and it does get very messy). She encourages her kids to create and learn but on Friday, she expects all the Schmutzys to help clean up and get ready for the Sabbath.

Why I liked this book –This is a funny book with great illustrations. I like the ending (not telling ;-) ) a lot. It tells an important message – have fun and get messy, but you still have a responsibility to clean up. My Mom let’s us play messy. I like that. It also
Carol Ekster
I loved this book. What a clever and fun way to tell about the Jewish Shabbat! The only thing that kept me from giving this five stars was the last page. It would have been much stronger without the two sentences, leaving just "Cannnoooonnnnballll!" and the image. That would have made it perfect!
Melanie
The Schmutzy kids are allowed to do whatever they like Sunday through Friday morning. This includes building a habitat for frogs in the kitchen sink, redo the wardrobe with tomato sauce, add bananas and other fruit to the pineapples already on the wallpaper.

However, when the children return home Friday morning, covered in mud and cow droppings (they had been jumping over cow pies in a nearby field), Mrs. Schmutzy was not pleased. Shabbos was fast approaching and the couldn't bring in Shabbos loo
Diane
Mama Schmutzy has no issues with her children getting dirty and making a mess, she even helps! But when it's time for the Sabbath it's time to clean up!
Ellie Schwartz
I love this book*! And kids will too. The Schmutzy's spend Sunday through Friday morning getting all kinds of dirty, and Mama Schmutzy cheers them on. On Friday, however, she gets them to clean up themselves and the house so they'll be ready for Shabbat. A joyous, never preachy book, good for a Friday night Shabbat service readaloud.

*except for the part about the worms in kids' hair
Samantha
A great book about exploring, creating, and experimenting both inside and out. All the mess it creates is supported and encouraged by the parents in this book, but as the Sabbath approaches the whole family joins together to clean up and set right their home, abiding by Jewish traditions. Artwork is detailed enough to support storytelling pre-reading skills.
Sandy Brehl
A fun story featuring a large family, (not often seen in current PBs) who spend five days each week up to their ears (literally) in mud, bugs, mess, and every conceivable form of "schmutz", with Mom's full endorsement. Their eager effort to "undo" the schmutz in time for the Sabbath is charming and suits this exuberant and energetic bunch.
Jess
The Schmutzy kids are messy and Mama doesn't even mind, until Friday comes around. Then everyone pitches in to clean up and get ready for the Sabbath. Love that mom doesn't mind the kids getting messy and discovering new things both indoors and out. Great story and wonderful illustrations.
Great Books
Jul 17, 2012 Great Books added it
Shelves: ages-5-8
For any family that always seems to need a constant house cleaning, this is a great book to read. The Schmutzy family is constantly into some dirty mess and yet mom is patient and kind. She only gets serious when it is time for the Sabbath. Can the kids get it together in time? Reviewer 12
Elisabeth
Ahhh. We all need a respite from our messy, chaotic, stinky lives. Sabbath dinner is the perfect way to acheive this for the Schmutzy family. I love how serene and unruffled Mama Schmutzy is - she has a built-in, wipe the slate clean reset button in her week. Maybe she's onto something?
Angie
The Schmutzy family loves to explore and create and they don't mind getting dirty either. But they clean up everything including themselves for the Sabbath. Of course it all starts again the next day. This is a fun, creative story. The Schmutzy house would drive me crazy!
Hester Thorpe
Mar 12, 2013 Hester Thorpe added it
Shelves: home
A cute book - I kind of like the low-key mom who doesn't mind if the kids get dirty. It's good to know that you don't always need to be uptight about things, but that it's still important to look good for special days and occasions.
Yossi Gremillion
Cute book about getting ready for Shabbos. The Shmutzy family have a playful home! Mud pies! Paint! But Shabbos is a special day that requires a group effort to make it hayom koidesh!
Virginia Brace
A fun look at having fun and getting dirty with gusto, but getting cleaned up and ready for the Sabbath with just as much gusto. The Schmutzys really enjoy life!
Paula
Ashley Wesner
Great book about teaching your kids to get messy and have fun but to also be responsible and know how to clean up!
Jacqueline
Very cute look at Jewish traditions and free expression.
Sue
fun and informational into to sabbath
Edward Sullivan
Messy family fun.
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Beppe DM
Beppe DM marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rose
Rose added it
Jul 16, 2014
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Aliza
Aliza marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
How to Behave at a Tea Party Canary in the Coal Mine Happy Birthday, Tree!: A Tu B'Shevat Story Nanny X Dream Boy