Start by marking “The Starlight Crystal” as Want to Read:
The Starlight Crystal

The Starlight Crystal

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,725 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
It is 200 years in the future. Paige Christian, 18, has been given the chance to join the crew of the Traveler--a special spaceship/time capsule designed to circle the solar system and study the changes on earth throughout two centuries. But an awful thing happens to the earth--and the Traveler.
Published December 29th 1995 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Starlight Crystal, please sign up.

Isabelle That story was the seed that grew into this one. Many elements are the same, but this book has been expanded into a very different story altogether.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I'm usually such a Christopher Pike fanatic - this year I have an evil plan to read books by him I haven't yet, and re-read books by him I have but never reviewed.

It's all laid out obsessively so, which is how I usually am with most books. I have to say this first book of the year, though - The Starlight Crystal - it and I didn't have chemistry or sync.

He writes well, of course, as he always does, but here there was a stroke of melodrama behind some of the dialogue and emotions. He doesn't typic
Melissa
I love Christopher Pike. I have been reading his books since I was 11 or 12 and I am almost 30 now. His books are amazing, filled with colorful characters, unique settings and amazing stories. And The Starlight Crystal is no exception.

It's probably my most favorite Pike book and it's one of his least well-known. The story is not a typical Pike story and the blurb on the back does not do it justice. Nor does the cover.

Paige Christian is an 18 year old girl who has just fallen in love for the firs
Noel
Mar 29, 2009 Noel rated it really liked it
I have read this book four times and I still adore it. If you like your sci-fi mixed with Eastern philosophy and epic multi-world, multi-lifetime heroes like in the Matrix trilogy, definitely check this out. Don't be put off by the fact that it's marketed as a cheesy teen horror novel- that couldn't be further from what it is.
____________________________

My review from my book journal when I was 12 (I was an aspiring book review columnist):

"Pike's best book, full of wonder, grief, inevitability
Marcy Jo
Jul 25, 2008 Marcy Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: myalltimefaves
Heaven only knows how many times I've read this book, though the last time was well over a decade ago. I remembered how much I loved this book, but I had forgotten how utterly depressing it is. Reading it was like reading 200 pages of chapter three of New Moon, gut wrenching pain. Except this is worse, because there isn't just a metaphorical death to deal with, it is total loss.

I had also forgotten that this was the period in Pike's writing career where he went off into eastern philosophy as th
Michelle
Apr 23, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
I had read The Starlight Crystal when I was twelve and my curiosity in Cosmology and Physics was only just budding, it helped to put a more personal spin on the same topics I was reading from Hawking and Greene. This book is perfect for young adults who are tired of the same "Romantic Fantasy" or for the nerdy little girl who wants to read about a deeper love than teen vampires. To my younger self this book had a great influence in my personal ideology: We are all microscopic in the eyes of the ...more
Clinton
May 19, 2014 Clinton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-collection
I will do this man a disservice or..maybe just not be entirely fair by not copying what I say for all of his other books. So far, I come away with the same gratitude that I was able to purchase his books and read them. I simply love them.

What else can I say about Mr. Christopher Pike that hasn't already been said? Each novel that I've read, I've been so enticed by (to say the very least). He creates wonderful characters, a thrilling and creative story while not getting overly complicated with it
Dichotomy Girl
Jun 09, 2012 Dichotomy Girl rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, 2012
I don't remember Christopher Pike sucking this bad. In fact, I remember him being a guilty pleasure read as a teenager. I guess it's good to know that my reading tastes have matured so well.

I found this book pretty stupid. In fact, I only finished reading it because it was so short and I was kind of hoping that there would be some grand epiphany at the end and suddenly everything would make sense.
Isabelle
Aug 26, 2016 Isabelle rated it it was amazing
Remains my favorite Christopher Pike story to date. The concepts are perhaps a little too deep - a blend of science fiction, mysticism and spirituality - to fully be given justice in a YA novel. Nonetheless, the idea of a young woman who travels to the end of the Universe and the end of Time itself and lives through two Creations - I have never read anything that comes close to such a stirring love story. For at the heart of it, the book is a story of love (as all Pike's books are) - and no sill ...more
Amanda
Aug 13, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Christopher Pike
An old favorite. Makes me cry every time!
PurplyCookie
It is two hundred years in the future and 18 year old Paige Christian has been given a chance to join the crew of the Traveler, a special spaceship designed to circle the solar system at near light speed. One day aboard the Traveler is equal to ten years on Earth. It is a time capsule as well as a spaceship whose purpose is to study the changes on earth throughout two centuries, and then return home.

Something awful happens to the ship and the Earth and the years pass, billions of them, and stil
Emairelhd Eartheart
Mar 04, 2013 Emairelhd Eartheart rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book ever, I read it in the late 90's and have read it many many times since then. I have gone through at least 4 copies of the book, 2 that I loaned to friends who fell in love with it also so I gave it to them and one copy I actually wore ragged until I had to buy a new one. There seems to be two types of people who read this book, you either think its weird and no big thing - or you are absolutely stunningly amazed at how well planned and developed and freaking brilliant t ...more
Cheyenne Kai
The Starlight Crystal is a very thought-provoking novel, and perhaps - as I went into it blind - one of the strangest books I have ever read.

Although it is relatively short, it packs a lot in. Description was sacrificed, but I still adored the tone and style of this book.

Even though the characters were easy to imagine and create a bond with, the insta-love was a little bit of an issue. As most of the book focuses on Paige Christian wanting to get back to Tem, I think the gravity of their love c
Sophie
Jan 30, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it
There was a time when this was my favorite book in the world. I reread it so many times I lost count. It was EPIC! With ALIENS and TIME TRAVEL (SORT OF) and SPACE and DEATH and LOVE and CLONING! I think this is where I learned about relativity. Thanks again Christopher Pike.
Karanveer
Oct 28, 2012 Karanveer rated it it was amazing
One of the most thought provoking and imaginative books which I read as a teenager. It has the optimum combination of science fiction and romance.
Don't remember much of it, but it was one of those books which you know you really like, and have no idea why.
Mehreen
Apr 13, 2015 Mehreen rated it liked it
I was given this book by my boyfriend because he loved it as a kid and wanted me to understand his perspective. I must admit the sci fi elements were a bit over my head but I still found it to be a beautiful story. Despite all the physics, it's a timeless love story and a story about humanity and creation.

I used to be really afraid of dying, it made life feel so pointless. But this book can really inspire wonder in all we do not know about the universe and other planets/species/races. Cloning wi
DaNonne graham
Jan 04, 2008 DaNonne graham rated it it was amazing
it's a great book about what god might be and how life started and where its heading.
Kristen
Aug 27, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was in 6th and 7th grade. Nearing my 30 year mark I decided to track this book down and reread it. I remembered much of the story and loved it even after all of these years.

One of the first sci-fi books I devoured with a love story that didn't seem forced when I was younger(and wasn't too keen on such things). A story with a lead that stuck with me for years, even if she was at the back of my mind. Honestly I can't seem to really place in words how much I enjoyed this st
Kate
Dec 28, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Christopher Pike Fans, YA sci fi fans
Shelves: read-in-2010
I prefer Pike thrillers to his science fiction stories. The few books I read that qualify as sci-fi are more on the fantasy side of the genre. The Starlight Crystal begins a few hundreds years into the future and ends many lifetimes later. The names Alosha and the Shanti are mentioned so I wonder if that has anything to do with Pike's middle age trilogy which I have yet to read. At the heart of the book is Paige, a young woman who falls in love a week before she is scheduled to embark on a space ...more
Zehra
Feb 08, 2013 Zehra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Mazzola
May 26, 2010 Taylor Mazzola rated it really liked it
This is a very interseting book for certain people. I gave this book a 4/5 because of the following reasons....

They get off topic to much
Way to much muchy love stuff
And it gets boring and you dont really know what they are talking about and you just dont feel like reading it anymore. ( trust me i stoped this book like 3 times)

this girl is in collge and she meets this guy and they soon fall in love but she forgets to tell him that she is going on a trip into space with her father. But of course s
Jessica Lange
Jun 25, 2015 Jessica Lange rated it really liked it
I first read this book 9-10 years ago when I was in elementary school. For at least 5 years I have wanted to read it again but couldn't remember the name of it or who the author was. I am so glad I found it. I am in love with the story. Every moment keeps you interested and I didn't want to stop until I was finished. This is a book that really makes you think and question everything you know. Pike really grabs the reader's attention filled with love, loss, aliens, and space travel. Absolutely wo ...more
Martini Martin
Apr 20, 2016 Martini Martin rated it it was ok
Started this book when it actually first came out, in 1996, but only got about 20 pages in when I shelved it. I decided I either had to donate it or read it, so I did. And I realized I had good instincts to shelve it. Not sure if it's because my reading has matured but it felt chopping written and lots of science just thrown in. And The Creation bit
Daniel
Mar 29, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I've read from Christopher Pike. It was recommended to me as being about the dangers of time travel. After reading it, I'm certain the person who recommended it to me has not read it. This book is a very beautiful tale about a young woman who learns the secrets of the universe, of fate, and of god after travelling so far forward in time that she sees the end of the universe and a new creation.
S.R. McKade
I will never get tired of reading this book. Every time I've read it, I got chills on my skin. Not from fear no, but from the depth of emotion in it.
What would you do if you knew your fate was predestined? Would you rebel against it or have the courage to do everything exactly the way you're supposed to, even knowing the heartache and sorrow you would go through again?
One of the best Christopher Pike books I've ever read. I remember reading somewhere something Christopher Pike wrote about The St
Casey Anderson
Apr 24, 2016 Casey Anderson rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I expected with this book, but it wasn't what I got. An interesting sci-fi book. I kind of felt like I was reading an episode of Star Trek Voyager. I did get a bit confused towards the end. I guess the science part was over my head. But overall a good book.
I have no idea what that is on the cover because nothing like that is every mentioned. . .
Danielle
Sep 16, 2015 Danielle rated it it was ok
Shelves: purchased-used, 2015
I love Christopher Pile and have since I was a teenager, but this book was a mess. It had a fascinating premise and the first half moved quickly and well, but then the plot fell apart and it turned into a philosophical treatise that didn't make sense.
Ran Prieur
Jun 15, 2014 Ran Prieur rated it really liked it
This is a weird book. The ideas are extremely ambitious, but the style is like a summary written for children. It sometimes reads like bad poetry by a person with a good spirit. If that doesn't bother you, it's an easy read with some heavy thoughts.
Patrick Jr.
Jul 10, 2015 Patrick Jr. rated it really liked it
One of the earliest science fiction novels I read as a kid. Loved every moment of it, and really got me thinking about the origin of the universe at an age when I was starting to wonder about my own origin. Amazing young adult book.
Rei Esponilla
Jun 11, 2016 Rei Esponilla rated it really liked it
One of the most unforgettable books I've ever read-I'm glad I got to read this as a teen. And it's a book I'd still read even as an adult. Makes you feel otherworldly, or at least that's how it made me feel.
Emmers
Jun 06, 2015 Emmers rated it it was amazing
If this is his books for teens, I would love to see an iteration of this for adults. To see a more in-depth look at the spirituality and existentialism of Paige Christian.
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Possessed (Dark Visions, #2)
  • Silent Stalker
  • The Yearbook
  • Evolussion (Book Two of the Infinion Series)
  • The Deadly Fire (Fear Street: The Cataluna Chronicles, #3)
  • Singularity
  • Book of Signs (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #2)
  • The Initiation (Nightmare Hall, #14)
  • Christmas Killer (Point Horror)
  • The Evil Twin (Sweet Valley High, #100)
  • Dance Till You Die (Nancy Drew: Files, #100)
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...

“They are all I have left—the stars and the memory of the many times I wished upon them. But with all those wishes, I asked for only one thing.

To see him again.

But I will not see him again. I do not see him now.”
34 likes
“How do I explain a life that has lasted for billions of years? It is almost as if I must start with an apology for being alive when everyone I once knew is dead.” 20 likes