Start by marking “Weekend” as Want to Read:
Weekend

Weekend

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,607 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
A brief vacation trip to a beautiful oceanside mansion in Mexico is turned into a nightmare by a mysterious plot for revenge.
Published September 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1986)

Remember Me by Christopher PikeBury Me Deep by Christopher PikeProm Dress by Lael LittkeTrick or Treat by Richie Tankersley CusickApril Fools by Richie Tankersley Cusick
1980's- early 90's Young Adult Fiction
18th out of 128 books — 84 voters
The Season of Passage by Christopher PikeFall Into Darkness by Christopher PikeWhisper of Death by Christopher PikeDie Softly by Christopher PikeChain Letter by Christopher Pike
Best of Christopher Pike
12th out of 32 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I've always been a big fan of Christopher Pike - as a reading machine teenager I gobbled his stuff up like candy. Most of his stuff still wows me as an adult, but while this was a good book, it doesn't fully hold up to my standards anymore.

A group of young adults go to visit their rich friends for a weekend of fun, drinking, and just joking about orgies that never happen. The two sisters who own the cabin are a blended group - one is a the too-pretty-to-be-true girl who can grab any man
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Oh, what a difference 10 or 15 years makes, LOL. I still liked this book, but there were seriously ridiculous things going on that I would never in a million years believed had I not been 13-15 years old when I first read this. Still . . . Flynn Powers is super dreamy . . . *swoons*
Kelly
Jan 08, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nostalgia hunters
Recommended to Kelly by: CP Book Club!
Shelves: cpike-book-club
Addy
Mar 17, 2015 Addy rated it really liked it
This is a reread, but it was so long ago I didn't even remember the plot. Great little mystery. I had no idea who poisoned robin, so this kept me going. Really enjoyed the story with the birds. So much symbolism and a great ending as well. I just got like 30 pike books and he used to be a favorite author next to RL Stine. I plan on reading a book or 2 a month since they are short and hopefully get to pass them on to my kids someday. They are too little to enjoy them right now.
Kasia
May 14, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it
I'm thirty but I've been a huge fan of Pike since I was a teenager and as much as I love Young Adult fiction I haven't read him in a while so this was a nice treat after so many years. I still remember all the novels I read from him and I simply loved his Last Vampire series so after all that time I'm happy to read his stuff again, a bit silly and naïve here and there but solid when it comes to intrigue while still being fun and intense at the same time! Weekend is the author's second novel and ...more
zan
Jan 14, 2012 zan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about reviewing this book by challenging questionable plot points and analyzing the deeper meaning of the old man's parable in the context of the creation myths of the world, dissecting the family relationships and romances as one would the great tragedies of Shakespeare. Where would you place the character of Bert on a scale of Sancho Panza and Steinbeck's Lenny? Do the rattlesnakes in this novel represent the same thing as Didion's rattlesnakes? Is Sol a Latino Holden Caulfield?

But I
Lisa
Jun 07, 2016 Lisa rated it did not like it
ONE FREAKING STAR.
Convoluted and ridiculous.
Never again, Mr. Pike. Never. Again.
Alexis
Apr 29, 2015 Alexis rated it it was amazing
This is my first novel by Christopher Pike and I have to say, I am surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. I didn’t think I would like anyone else’s old mystery novels besides R.L. Stine, but Pike’s novel, Weekend, has really grabbed my attention.

Theme:
Hatred
Revenge
Supernatural
Mysterious
Relationships / Friendships

Characters:
The characters are all different. There are seven recently graduated teens going down to Lena and Robin’s vacation house in Mexico. I really like Kerry, Lena, and Ber
Jill Dunlop
Jun 08, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it really liked it
I chose to read Weekend for my March Re-Read Challenge. It has been damn near close to twenty years since I last read this book. I was only twelve or thirteen at the time and Christopher Pike was one of my favorite authors. I have to be honest I didn't remember much about the plot or the characters in Weekend. When I got the book, I was shocked to see how short it was. It is a little bit smaller than a category romance, ending at 230 pages. I guess when your younger books can seem a lot bigger. ...more
Julia
Feb 21, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it
This was a stroll down memory lane. Christopher Pike was one of my favorite authors in 7th and 8th grades and I thought of him after watching the Goosebumps movie recently. I think Weekend would be a good movie. Just YA mystery, nostalgic fun.
Jean
I am rereading all my cherished YA books .. and this and Slumber Party and The Grounding of Group Six will always be my favorites. so much fun to revisit characters of yesteryear. Gosh, I had such a crush on Park.
Ashley
Jan 09, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Sorry folks. I really should stop reading these books. But this one was available at the library. I was helpless. And I can’t promise that I won’t be going back to the library for more; apparently there’s a five-book vampire series that came out this century, so I kind of feel obligated to check it out.

But back to this one, brought to you by the year 1986. Same basic premise as Slumber Party – a bunch of friends are getting together for a weekend away, and one of them was seriously injured (pois
Kelly
Mar 25, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I have good memories of reading Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine back in middle and high school. I used to buy stacks of them from the bookstore and then absolutely zoom through them, reading a new one each day. I recently got Weekend from the trade-a-book, for old time's sake. I was really enjoying it, but the ending was just dumb. BUT it's a book written for young teenagers, so my expectations weren't too high. It was kind of cool to take a trip down memory lane. :)
Michael Baylosis
Feb 12, 2014 Michael Baylosis rated it it was amazing
Classic Pike.

Christopher Pike novels are very rare nowadays so I was pretty hyped when I saw this on a second hand bookstore. As usual, Pike did not fail to deliver an amazing twist to this young adult mystery. The characters felt like intimate friends in the long run. The ending is definitely unexpected. It even strays from the usual endings of many mystery novels.

Perfect summer read!
Oriyah Nitkin
Apr 04, 2016 Oriyah Nitkin rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Zippy Sevrinsky
Classic Christopher Pike, but not one of his better works. Around 6 stereotypical teenagers introduced in succession with some details to differentiate between them, toss in a scary situation, sprinkle generously with sexual references, and *POOF*! You have a book. Not a very good one, at that.

I can read along with the best of them, but these characters were a bit tough to follow. I kept having to flip back pages to check back and see who was whom. The story was creepy, but not believable enoug
Chris Velazquez
Jun 22, 2016 Chris Velazquez rated it did not like it
So after the disappointment that was Christopher Pike's Slumber Party, Weekend sounded much better. I was not prepared for an even bigger disappointment.

If there is one word that could describe this book, it's "blah". At 230 pages, it's amazing how this book has so much of nothing going on. Nine bland characters just blandly walking around talking about bland things in a rather stilted way that makes you think of adults in the 1930's than teenagers in the 80's. As there are nine characters, nobo
Nikki
Jan 11, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Back when a Porsche cost $40,000 Pike wrote this book about guilt and accusation. A group of friends go to Mexico to stay in the Carlton Castle which their friend Robin has been living in since she drank poison at a party the year before where all that are going to Mexico were at. The poison caused her kidneys to fail and she has been living in the Carlton Castle which her father owns since she was released from the hospital. The weekend turns into a guessing game of who really poisoned her that ...more
PurplyCookie
Eight Hoover High seniors (Shani Tucker, Park Jacomini, Kerry Ladd, Angie Houston, Sol Celaya, Lena Carlton, Bert Billings, and Flynn Powers) all make plans to travel down the California coast to Mexico and spend the weekend in Lena and her sister's large family vacation home.

Residing in the mansion is Robin Carlton, once an active teenager and their close friend, but now a shut-in. She is slowly dying from permanent kidney damage that resulted from her "accidentally" ingesting a large amount o
David King
Mar 26, 2011 David King rated it liked it
"Weekend" was one of Christopher Pike's first books to be published and there are very few supernatural aspects to it unlike some of his later books. The basic premise of the book is that there was an “accident” to a beautiful young teen who doesn’t actually die, but is now very ill. Then the very people who were with her when the accident occurred get invited to a weekend party at a luxurious mansion on the Mexican coast. Whilst there, various strange incidents occur, and a couple of people att ...more
Filthy Little
Apr 23, 2013 Filthy Little rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms-read
Maurice Galon
Nov 21, 2014 Maurice Galon rated it liked it
Pike novels were a staple of my middle school reading diet and The Weekend stands out as one of the most memorable reads. Of course, 15 years later, a lot of the plot points seem fairly ridiculous to the jaded adult. Nonetheless, it was still a pleasant enough re-read and good dose of nostalgia. The spiritual nature of the desert mystic and the twist at the end are what really makes this novel stand-out. A short, enjoyable read if you've got a day to kill and a taste for intrigue.
Alex
This was in an anthology with Slumber Party, and might as well have been the same book in a different setting. Since I read them back-to-back it was even more apparent.

I remember enjoying Christopher Pike's books but these last two were awful. I still don't even understand what was happening at the end of this one, for instance. All in all, it was pretty terrible.

I'm giving it 2 stars instead of 1 because I'm not sure if I ever read this as a kid or not, so a 1 star rating from an adult isn't
NightAuditMan
Just a good little bedside reading book.

This, according to a few sources, is Mr. Pikes second major novel and it does show a little. Dialogue in particular I found to be jumbled and lacking more of the clear structure of his later works. There were a few times where I wasn't sure who, if at all, was talking or responding.

however this still makes for some good light reading if your nostalgic or like a light thriller/mystery!
Samantha
Sep 19, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
I had started reading this book a little under a year ago, but when I started having to read for school projects during 4th quarter, I had to quit reading most books that I had been reading outside of school. I finally picked the book back up a few weeks ago, and finished it within a few days (It turns out that I only had a chapter or two (maybe three, i'm not sure) left). I really liked this book and I recommend it to most everyone who likes mystery novels.

-I do, however, prefer Christopher
Amanda Yeargin
i read Weekend as an IR book. this book was about a group of friends hanging out. also a chance to see robin who is very sick. this was suppose to be the weekend where they were going to have a great time. but things go wrong. people dont show, an explosion, a possible death and more. can they survive?
Eddy N
Jun 14, 2010 Eddy N rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
This book was about a group of friends hanging out. also a chance to see robin who is very sick. this was suppose to be the weekend where they were going to have a great time. but things go wrong. people dont show, an explosion, a possible death and more. can they survive?
i have a text-to-movie connection. this was like a movie i saw. they rented a cabin with a bunch of friends but them things so wrong. people started to get sick. then people started dying. basically they were simiilar because
Azuree
Mar 16, 2016 Azuree rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a kid and reread it several years ago to bring me back to my childhood. This book is about a group of friends who go on vacation only to have one of them die. One of them isn't as they seem and the book is a real mystery about what happened a year earlier to cause the events of the the current vacation to become what they are.
Megan
Jun 30, 2010 Megan added it
I used to love Christopher Pike, so I enjoyed being a bit nostalgic in choosing one of his titles for this genre. "Weekend" is the tale of the seniors of Hoover High School in the days before graduation. Shani and her closest friends have been invited to spend the weekend in Mexico relaxing at a friend's vacation home. What was supposed to be a fun weekend with the boys, turns into something more sinister when strange, bad things start to happen. Cue the scary music. The characters are vivid and ...more
Earl
Weekend doesn't read well after reading it back to back with Slumber Party (the To Die For omnibus repackaged Christoper Pike's first two novels together) because they have basically the same format. It definitely doesn't have the high-stakes feel of his later novels. This does introduce Pike's fondness of an extraordinary, supernatural and mysterious creature- in this case, a shaman.
Tonia Harris
Jun 02, 2015 Tonia Harris rated it liked it
I tore through his books in my pre-teen and teen years and felt nostalgic when I ran across this title. I regret nothing. Lots of fun and a few snares along the way, enough to draw you in and keep you entertained.
Just read Final Friends 3 - same Michael? 1 3 Sep 18, 2013 04:22PM
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Final Exam
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
  • The Diary
  • The Window
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • The Stranger
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm
More about Christopher Pike...