Start by marking “Frozen” as Want to Read:
Frozen

Frozen

Sixteen-year-old Sadie Rose hasn’t said a word in eleven years—ever since the day she was found lying in a snowbank during a howling storm. Like her voice, her memories of her mother and what happened that night were frozen.

Set during the roaring 1920s in the beautiful, wild area on Rainy Lake where Minnesota meets Canada, Frozen tells the remarkable story of Sadie Rose, w
Published September 1st 2012 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Frozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frozen

Lydia Presley
It's interesting, but as I was reading Frozen I kept thinking how similar in style this book was (with a few minor differences) to an American Girls book I'd read recently. Then.. in the back of the book as I finished it up, I noticed that MarY Casanova is responsible for McKenna of the American Girls. Hah!

In Frozen, Sadie Rose is introduced as a teenager who is simply unable to speak, due to a traumatic event in her past. She is an orphan, her father's death ruled a suicide, and her mother foun
Kat
Frozen is a mix of historical fiction, coming-of-age and mystery, set in 1920s Minnesota. The setting, the characters and the story make for a haunting, lyrical story as Sadie Rose's past is gradually revealed through the return of her memories from childhood.

Dotted throughout the book there are also references to the early wilderness preservation movement, prohibition and the suffragette movement, all of which Sadie finds herself part of. Although the pacing of Frozen is quite slow, it is stead
Brittany Rehage
Aug 15, 2012 Brittany Rehage rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed Frozen. More than I thought I would. It tells Sadie’s coming of age story extremely well, and even though the mystery wasn’t really much of a mystery for me, I still found myself reading as quickly as I could, wanting to know the next chapter of the story.

Sadie Rose has been the unofficial daughter of the Worthingtons for 11 years, after the death of her mother and nearly freezing to death herself. She’s been mute since then, finding other ways to communicate. When she s
ElphabaNewlin
Book club continues with it's super neato them of Decade Books, aka books written during or set in a certain decade. When we pulled our decades out of a hat, I got the 1920s. So I immediately set out to try and find a YA book that took place in the 1920s, preferably one I had not read and wasn't long (which made THE DIVINERS by Libba Bray right out of the running, sadly). But on one list I found a contender: FROZEN by Mary Casanova. Not only is it set in the 1920s, it is also a mystery AND is se ...more
a_tiffyfit
Levina  C.
Aug 24, 2012 Levina C. rated it liked it
Shelves: historique, novels, arcs
3.33 stars out of 5

It took me a long time to get into this book. To tell the truth, I was bored with it up to the midway point, at which time some action finally happens. Having finished it now, I'm still lukewarm toward it; while there aren't a lot of bad points against it, there's nothing really exceptional either. The author draws up her plot like she's cooking a stew - some mystery meat in the form of a young mute girl searching for the truth behind her past, the greens of an enviromental ae
Jessica
Aug 20, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
The synopsis pretty much says it all, but Frozen is a gorgeously written historical fiction novel. One that quickly drew me in and kept me immersed. It takes a lot for me to really get into historical fiction normally. I'm the girl who adores quick moving plots and witty heroines. However Mary Casanova's story drew me in for much different reasons, and it was utterly refreshing.

Sadie Rose is quite the protagonist. My favorite part about her was her spirit. When the book starts, Sadie Rose is jus
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Frozen by Mary Casanova is set in northern Minnesota during the 1920's. Sixteen year old Sadie Rose has been unable to speak since her mother's death over 11 years ago. At that time, she was taken in and has been raised by the Worthington's. Mr. Worthington is now a senator and Sadie Rose feels the pressure placed on her to behave and act like a well-mannered daughter, although they never have adopted her. When Sadie Rose finds pictures of her mother it unlocks memories she didn't realize she ha ...more
Christina  Torretta
Jul 18, 2012 Christina Torretta rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
Sadie Rose is just sixteen and is learning very fast that she has been sheltered from the outside girl, but even so she is strong, has her own mind in a time when women were not supposed to. She is a lovable character and from the beginning you are left wondering exactly what is going to happen to her. The entire time I read this book I wanted only the best for her, protection from so many who seemed to hurt her and from so many that were hiding their true agendas! But Sadie keeps her wits about ...more
Rachel
Aug 09, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Sadie Rose lost her voice and her memories the night her mother died. Now, at 16 she is living with a pleasant couple, but she is feeling a little trapped. One day, she finds scandalous photographs of her mother, and begins to remember what her early life was like with her mother, a prostitute, including the night her mother died. She also begins to regain her voice, but getting her voice back may prove more dangerous than she could imagine. When she was silent and missing her memories, no one i ...more
Lucie Paris
Oct 10, 2012 Lucie Paris rated it liked it
A flashback into the time when women had not the right to vote in the United States, when men reigned in supremacy.
By starting this novel, the reader is immersed in a certain torpor. You are overwhelmed by the same feelings as when you entered a house that had not been opened and occupied for a while. Once the sheets are removed from the furnitures and you will let in the light enter, the house is breathing again …

Besides, I'm not sure that staying put knitting in a corner or talking about munda
Christina
Sep 01, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
Review also posted at: www.theowlreview.blogspot.com, www.netgalley.com, www.amazon.com

I was immediately drawn into this story. It begins with a girl who has witnessed something traumatic, but as readers, we don't quite know yet what it was exactly. As the story builds, it's very easy to figure out what happened, but it's the why that is yet to unfold. What she saw, precisely, that left her unable to speak.

This story really did get me interested in the beginning. It's very easy to read and I rea
Nan
Aug 15, 2012 Nan rated it liked it
Set in the 1920s in northern Minnesota, Frozen incorporates historical fiction with mystery and coming-of-age. Throughout the book are references to the early wilderness preservation movement, prohibition and the suffragette movement. Sadie Rose comes in contact with them all through the people she encounters and befriends. Having lost her voice in a childhood trauma she regains it again after the discovery of some photographs that trigger her memories. As she finds her voice she also finds hers ...more
MacK
Another Minnesota author who takes on a worthy cause in writing, Mary Cassanova, offers Frozen a solid piece of historical fiction that avoids the easy path of sticking kids in the middle of world-changing events, in order to offer both a story and a history lesson. Instead Frozen commits to a quiet, unobtrusive time and place in history (the upper midwest in the early 1920s) and lets the setting help to hone the characters' personalities.

Early in the book, the long mute Sadie Rose breaks her si
Beryl
Jan 06, 2015 Beryl rated it really liked it

An engrossing tale of sixteen-year-old Sadie Rose who has not spoken since she was found frozen in a snow bank. Taken in by a powerful politician and his wife, she spends summers in the remote and pristine wilderness on Rainy Lake in Northern Minnesota. Sadie is protected and doted on by the family’s housekeeper Aasta and handyman Hans, a loving couple who provide Sadie with the loving the Worthington’s fail to provide.

Not only has Sadie lost her voice, she has lost her memories. One day, she un
Kate
Aug 24, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I read this ARC via NetGalley.com

Sadie Rose hasn't spoken a word since she was found at age 5, nearly frozen in the snow, after the murder of her prostitute mother. But now Sadie is finally speaking again. She meets Victor, a young photographer, who her foster father, a senator, believes is out to ruin him. She meets Trinity, a flapper, and Owen, who Sadie likes a lot. Sadie wants to find out more about her mother as her memories begin to return to her, and she must strike out on her own to find
Liz
Aug 09, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Okay... maybe not quite a 4, but pretty good after I got into it a little further. I always love a mystery, and Sadie's uncovering of who she is was intriguing. The premise of the book and how a photograph (I think) sparked the story was interesting, too. Enjoyed the ending better than the start. Historical time period that is always good for me to read further about. Love that I'm learning my history through children's and YA books. (Read the ARC from BEA.)
Nativida

I had many connections...Northern Minnesota and Gustavus Adolphus College among them, that I really enjoyed reading this book. Some of the book elements seemed to resolve themselves too simply for my taste, but it was also interesting to read using the lens of a writer and thinking about the choices that a writer can make about their work.
Sophia
Jun 07, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great. I thought it was really slow in the beginning her not being able to talk. soon after she got her voice back she fell in love. With a boy she was not supposed to talk to. soon in the middle of the book it was a book I didn't want top set down. The book Frozen is defiantly a book you have to read.
Claire
Oct 10, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I really liked this! I had the opportunity to meet Mary Casanova like three years ago and I only just read it. I liked that I waited though, because 13 year old me wouldnt really understand the Lady of the Night. I also just went to see her again and I got the second book which is about another character in the book!!! I am so excited to read it!!
Lauren Stringer
Nov 06, 2012 Lauren Stringer rated it it was amazing
Just finished this excellent historical fiction novel! It was full of surprises around every island bend. I learned a lot about the history of the Lake District along the Minnesota/Canada border and sympathized with every character I met, except Ennis of course.
Sue Leithold-bowcock
Oct 10, 2012 Sue Leithold-bowcock rated it it was amazing
Could not stop reading this wonderful story which is well told
Dawn
Jul 18, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-bought
Thank you to University Of Minnesota Press for letting me review this as an ARC.

Just finished the book, loved it! My full review will be up soon.
Donna
Aug 25, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read!!! I couldn't put it down. I read an advance reader copy and was thrilled. Through a past of trauma can come great things. :)
Susan P
Nov 04, 2016 Susan P rated it liked it
Read it because it takes place in International Falls, Kettle Falls, and on Rainy Lake in the 1920s; and the author is from Ranier, Minnesota. Written for young adults.
Dianne
Nov 06, 2016 Dianne rated it it was ok
November Book Club selection
Kate
I wanted this to be stronger, but I think it suffered from trying to be too much. I wasn't expecting Sadie Rose to gain her voice back so quickly, and I just.... I was never ever sure about any character's motivation. It was really weird.

I don't know. It's one of my favorite eras to read about and I love Northern Minnesota so much, but this one didn't do it for me.
Jillian
{ I received this as an ebook from NetGalley. Review originally posted on my blog, PidginPea's Book Nook. }

The synopsis for Frozen really piqued my interest - a YA historical fiction/mystery that touches on prohibition, women's suffrage, and conservation? Sounds great! So much in one novel! ... But ultimately, for me, all the various aspects of the story ended up being a negative rather than a positive. There was too much going on, and too little was really explored with any substantial feeling.
Terri
Sep 25, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Every time I read historical fiction, I begin by apologizing for the fact that this is not my genre of choice. The fantastic historical fiction that I have read over the past couple of years ("Okay for Now," "Revolution," ""Between Shades of Grey," and others, however, has actually turned me into a historical fiction fan! "Frozen," by Mary Casanova put me solidly in the "historical fiction fan" column! I loved this book!

When I think of the doors that Nancy Pearl theorizes that a reader enters a
christa
Everything changes the day Sadie Rose finds the photographs. The subject is captured in suggestive poses and as Sadie Rose studies them, her previously locked memories creak open. She remembers touching the fabric of the dress and the face is familiar. It’s her mother, whose death a decade ago has become a sort of urban legend in the small Northern Minnesota town near the Canadian border.

Minnesota writer Mary Casanova’s young adult novel “Frozen” follows Sadie Rose from the day she sheds her co
  • The Enchanted Truth
  • Touched by Fire
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • Refuge
  • In Trouble
  • What We Saw at Night (What We Saw at Night, #1)
  • Nine Months
  • God Loves Ugly
  • Ferocity Summer
  • War Games
  • The Man Plan
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A
More about Mary Casanova...