Start by marking “Blue Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
Blue Fairy Book

Read Book* *Different edition

Blue Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,988 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
The Blue Fairy Book was the first volume in the series and so it contains some of the best known tales, taken from a variety of sources: not only from Grimm, but exciting adventures by Charles Perrault and Madame D'Aulnoy, the Arabian Nights, and other stories from popular traditions. Here in one attractive paperbound volume - with enlarged print - are Sleeping Beauty, Rum ...more
Hardcover
Published by MJF Books (first published 1887)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Fairy Book, please sign up.

Russ Dependent on previous reading but certainly can be read by a 13 year old especially as it can be dipped into rather than read in one long sitting.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I always loved fairytales when I was a little kid––and no, not the silly watered-down ones. I liked the real, hardcore shit. The fairytales where everyone dies. Those are the good ones. Those Disney princess movies always bored me. (Except I loved Beauty and the Beast, because Belle isn't a dumbass and she reads a lot––like meeee!)

Anyway, if I recall correctly, I had at least one of Andrew Lang's fairytale collections when I was a kid … maybe a couple of them. Then, this past month, I had an ass
Aug 15, 2008 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What I did while reading this book was I wrote short little notes for each story, so that in the future I could look back and see which stories were worth reading again, or recommending. I gave each story a mini-rating of 1-3 asterisks (*), with 1 being the "horrible" and 3 being "just okay". Overall though, I was severally disappointed in this book of fairy tales.

The Bronze Ring: *This story was slightly shocking. The way they dealt with the evil man in the end was a violent. I did not like the
Chris
Lang wrote some of the stories, but he largely edited this collection. Like the Grimms, but far more honest, Lang used translations provided by his wife and other women (he thanks the women in his introduction, gives credit to original sources at the end of the tales).

It makes this collection, the first, rather interesting. By and large, the stories are mostly from the Grimms and French Salons. They include well known favorites like "Cinderella" but also lesser known ones such as "The Yellow Dwa
Shauna
"She lives in a castle which lies east of the sun and west of the moon..."

Of all the fairy book spectrum, I'm glad I started with blue. More than a few old favourites in here, in particular the stories East of the Sun, West of the Moon, and Beauty and the Beast. It's lovely regardless, I think, to fall every now and then into a world where, even before first sight, people can fall so deeply in love that they can't eat or drink (view spoiler)
Arielle Walker
I can't believe the level of nostalgia this book created. Not every story is equally memorable, but the ones that lingered over decades (yes, plural!) in my mind make this worth every star.
Renee M
Haha! These are great! Creepy and funny and gruesome. These ARE your grandmother's fairytales! HeeHeeHee!
Hweeps
Nov 20, 2011 Hweeps rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: really, really bored people
Shelves: my-ebooks
From the famed The Blue Fairy Book, I learned that:

1. If you are a girl, and you are "beautiful", so amazingly pretty that sometimes, there are just no words to describe you, you might just survive whatever is coming at you next, because

2. The villains can never defeat the good, because someway or other, there will always, out of the blue, and completely deus ex machina-like, pop out these magical items that might just save the beautiful girl's ass(oops, I mean, her cute behind).

3. You just hav
Leslie
3 stars for the audiobook; 4 stars for the book itself. See my review of the Kindle edition for a brief review of the book.

While I thought that Angele Masters did some very good voices (and a very good Scots accent for the last two tales), there were recurring mouth sounds (mostly sounds of swallowing) that put me off. Glad that I picked up this audiobook as a free Whispersync deal, but that brings me to another problem I had with this audiobook. It didn't actually sync with the Kindle book prop
Matthew Hunter
My main takeaway from Lang's "Blue Fairy Book"? "Happily ever after" is far from the norm! These tales include grizzly murders, playing on insecurities, forced marriages, abductions, and maniacal little people. Take "Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" as an example.
If you had a complex about your de Bergerac-like nose, how'd you like to have a prattling fairy and dinner host say: "My dear Prince, might I beg you to move a little more that way, for your nose casts such a shadow that I
Mary Catelli
This is the one I personally owned as a child. As the very first, it is chock-full of the standard issue, top-20 pop charts tales -- among others. Heavily from Norwegian, French, and German sources.

Though even with the popular ones, he may include things you don't know. He follows Perrault in Sleeping Beauty in the Woods, and so the story does not end when she wakes up. Beauty and the Beast has significant dreams for Beauty.

And some ones not too familar. "Why the Sea Is Salt." "Snow White and Ro
Jaksen
Jan 05, 2016 Jaksen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teenager, at a time when I'd been 'kicked out' of the adult section of my local, home town library. (Years earlier I'd been told I couldn't take books out of the boy's section of the children's section of the library. And yes, this was in a fairly progressive small town in southeastern MA. Go figure.)

Anyhow, after I got it sorted out that I was fifteen, not twelve, I started taking out the colored fairy tale books one after another. I do not recall how far I got, at least up to
Shoshana
Jul 22, 2012 Shoshana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
I'm excited to be re-reading these!

I appear to have bookmarked (on my e-reader) the story of Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess, perhaps because the female Fairy has a large role. In fact, I had sort of forgotten what a significant percentage of traditional fairy tales - even western ones - have active women using agency. Hint: They're mostly not the ones that people today are aware of, because they're not the ones retold in the media.

Anyway, more of my bookmarks: I really liked The Ta
PurplyCookie
The book assembled a wide range of tales, with seven from the Brothers Grimm, five from Madame d'Aulnoy, three from the Arabian Nights, and four Norse stories, among other sources.

"The Bronze Ring" - According to Lang's preface, this version of this fairy tale from the Middle East or Central Asia was translated and adapted from Traditions Populaires de l'Asie Mineure by Carnoy et Nicolaides. (Paris:Maison-neuve, 1889.)

"Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess" - a French fairy tale from Le P
Lindsay Stares
The stories in this collection have an amazing range, and Lang is good enough to cite his source for almost all of his tales. There are 37 stories total, including six selections from Grimm, five from Perrault, a couple Scots tales (in dialect, sort of), a few British traditionals, three from the Arabian Nights, the part of Gulliver's Travels about Lilliput, and a full retelling of the Perseus myth with different names. It's almost overwhelming.

A few of them are really unique ones.

“The History o
Stuart
Feb 28, 2014 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're like me, you probably grew up on fairy tales. We live in a Disney society of Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc. But have you ever taken the time to read the actual fairy tales? The Brothers Grimm? Hans Christian Andersen? There are some similarities between Disney and Grimm, but the differences is where the beauty is. In this reprint of a classic, Andrew Lang gathered fairy tales from around the world, edited, and compiled them into different fairy books.

For those who have
Terri Lynn
I reread this book that I read many years ago. There is a selection of some of the best known fairytales as well as more rare ones, all in their ORIGINAL versions which is NOT the same as the saccharine sweet clean-up Disney-ized versions. If you want to read the real deal, try out this book of the original stories the way they were meant to be read.
Becca
Dec 12, 2010 Becca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010
Hmmm. I loved this book and fairy tales in general when I was a kid bur retracing them only makes me a little sad at the realization that they are pretty much tales of horrible family betrayal and that the real moral of many of them is that as long as you are the most beautiful princess and the youngest then it will probably turn out ok.
Denisse Garza
Aug 03, 2015 Denisse Garza is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una antología de 37 cuentos de hadas. Al parecer, estos están en su versión original, por lo que espero encontrar situaciones perturbadoras como se dice que estas historias, aparentemente de niños, tienen.

Debido a que son muchas las historias, iré resumiendo mi impresión de cada una conforme las vaya leyendo, enfocándome en lo perturbador que encuentre en cada una de ellas.

1. The Bronze Ring (1 estrella): aburrida y nada fuera de lo normal sucede. No es un cuento de hadas conocido
Erik
Mar 06, 2016 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the collection. There's so many great stories in here. The stories in here are mostly the famous ones - Perrault, the Brothers Grimm, and my personal favorite, Madame d'Aulnoy. So many of the classics are here.

My favorite stories:
- The Bronze Ring
- The Yellow Dwarf (probably my favorite fairy tale with a sad ending)
- The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood (based on Perrault's version and includes the second half of the story with the prince's ogress mom)
- Cinderella (this was my favor
Blake
Nov 16, 2012 Blake marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The book " The blue fairy " is wrote for a wide spread of audience. It has many stories in it. There is no specific location of the stories. Some are in kingdoms and some are in modern times.

The book begins with a story about a gardeners son who falls in love with the kings daughter and she with him. Throughout the story the boy comes to different challenges to over come to win the princesses hand in marriage. These include wining a race with the kings closest friends son, who also wishes to m
Elinor  Loredan
Favorites: Prince Hyacinth and the Dear Little Princess, The Yellow Dwarf, The Master Maid, Why the Sea is Salt, The White Cat, the Water-Lily. The Gold-Spinners, The Story of Pretty Goldilocks, The Wonderful Sheep, Prince Darling, The Princess on the Glass Hill. Most of the stories have some magical element or character I like, but is overly violent, or I have trouble relating to a character's actions or motives. The hero of the Bronze Ring, for example, strikes me as very selfish; didn't Littl ...more
Wickedshizuku
May 06, 2016 Wickedshizuku is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade and up, Science Fiction fans, Literary fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Free Ebooks app
Really good app for android called Free ebooks. It has really old obscure books and the Classics as well. I found Andrew Lang's Colored Fairy series, which I can tell you is just about impossible to find in print. Not unless you're willing to give up your first child, an arm, and a leg. It's that ridiculous to find them. I call for a reprint! Kids really do need these stories, and need to be able to learn the morals these stories teach.
I really enjoyed the Story: East of the Sun and West of the
Leslie
A good mix of familiar and unfamiliar in this collection of fairy tales. I also liked the fact that fairy tales from different cultures were included (French, Norwegian, Arabic for example).

I was a bit surprised to discover one tale (The Terrible Head) which was basically the Greek myth of Perseus! And a few others were just versions of another fairy tale already in the collection (for example, Little Thumb & Hansel and Gretel).
Khinna
Dec 29, 2012 Khinna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics

I was leaning towards a four star, but couldn't make up my mind. I enjoyed the collection of fairy tales. There were many fairy tales that were introduced to me and ones I heard throughout my childhood. I understood the time that these were written, but I did find the repetitiveness of "being pretty" and "pretty princess" was tedious. I want girls with wit and character and adventure, not idly standing for their princes to come and save them. It was a great review of yesterday's fairy tales tho
Bari
Nov 24, 2015 Bari is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection! To be totally honest, I didn't enjoy every single story in this fairy tale collection. But that's all right of course, because the point of reading this fairy tale collection is to be introduced to a great variety of fairy tales from all over the world. If you start reading this fairy tale collection with that in mind, I think you're gonna have a really nice time reading this. I think Lang did a really great job with the including of such a large range of variety. I r ...more
Skjam!
Mar 31, 2015 Skjam! rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, parents, fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Skjam! by: Goodreads
Once upon a time, (1889 to be specific), British children did not have access to collections of fairy tales. Educators of the time thought fairy tales were too unrealistic and harmful to children, and beneath adults. Mr. Lang felt differently; he had delighted in such tales when young, and the Grimm Brothers had done quite well with their books. He selected stories from many countries, and his wife and other translators brought the foreign ones into English for the first time.

The Colour Fairy Bo
Mary Christy
Mar 04, 2015 Mary Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Beauty and the Beast story from this novel - as per the recommendation of my English instructor, and I must say, I quite liked this version of the classic tale. There was more background on Belle and her family, which was quite large in this version. I think the addition of brothers and sisters helped to show more of Beauty's disposition. While all of her sisters asked their father for dresses and jewels and riches while he was away, Beauty simply wished for her father's safe return. ...more
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Finished this along side Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version and it served as a great comparison. Although not all of the stories were the same, it showed now the English language has progressed.

Side note: I listened to this at night before bed to help me fall asleep. I really like what http://librivox.org/ has done.
Elusive
Jan 03, 2016 Elusive rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
‘The Blue Fairy Book’ features over thirty stories which revolve around children and princesses. Several are well-known and well-loved classics such as ‘Puss in Boots’, ‘Hansel and Gretel’, ‘Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp’ and ‘Rumpelstiltzkin’.

The stories were simple and easy to follow. The author’s vocabulary shined through via his varied descriptions. Although many of the tales had predictable outcomes, there were a few which didn’t have the typical happy ending and were instead a little more
Kimberly
Jan 13, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tales have always been my favorite kind of story - anything from Cinderella to Rapunzel. There's a 12 books to this series, they're all anthologies of fairy tales/folk lore from all over the world compiled by Andrew Lang. This blue book features 29 short stories.

Be aware that the tales here are not the Disney version of fairy tales, it's the gruesome and somewhat true version of the tales. I'm happy to say a few of my favorite tales are featured in this blue book - Beauty and the Beast, C
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Parables from Nature
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • Pocahontas
  • East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
  • The Light Princess
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • Our Island Story
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Russian Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
  • The Olive Fairy Book

“So labour at your Alphabet,
For by that learning shall you get
To lands where Fairies may be met.”
4 likes
“Get away out of my country at once, and for ever, miserable creature, lest I take your life, and so rid myself of your malice.” 1 likes