Start by marking “Kentucky Folktales: Revealing Stories, Truths, and Outright Lies” as Want to Read:
Kentucky Folktales: Revealing Stories, Truths, and Outright Lies

Kentucky Folktales: Revealing Stories, Truths, and Outright Lies

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The storytelling tradition has long been an important piece of Kentucky history and culture. Folktales, legends, tall tales, and ghost stories hold a special place in the imaginations of inventive storytellers and captive listeners. In Kentucky Folktales: Revealing Stories, Truths, and Outright Lies Kentucky storyteller Mary Hamilton narrates a range of stories with the vo ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by University Press of Kentucky (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kentucky Folktales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kentucky Folktales

Melanie
Come sit a spell on my porch with your sweet tea and I will spin you a yarn! Kentucky country life is fast paced yes, but when it is time to unwind, these folks have stories to tell!

I have met some of the most creative, colorful people of my life in KY. It makes perfect sense that Mary Hamilton would be able to pass down some of her oral stories into published form, to keep the ball rolling. Who doesn't love a good ole folk-tale?

This book has stories about Daniel Boone, farmers, hunters, dogs an
Hannah
I wanted a book on Kentucky folklore, and this one delivered! Mary Hamilton is a professional storyteller from Kentucky, and the stories collected here are ones that she has told many times to audiences. As a result, the stories are written in a very conversational way that can be a little off-putting to readers if you're not expecting it at first.

Each story is accompanied by commentary from Hamilton that sheds light on where she first heard the story, changes she made to the original version s
Lori
Interesting that many of the tales were similar to popular fairy tales but didnt really enjoy the commentary on each tale.
Jennifer Goins
Jennifer Goins marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Cassandra
Cassandra is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Florrie
Florrie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Julie Hancock
Julie Hancock marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Courtney Brinkman
Courtney Brinkman marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Marla Christian
Marla Christian marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Josh Edds
Josh Edds marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Brian
Brian added it
Jun 19, 2013
Lanny Adkins
Lanny Adkins is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2013
We Know What We Are Trials of the Earth: The Autobiography of Mary Hamilton A-Z of Opera (Wordsworth Reference) The Tin-Lined Trunk From the Hip (chapbook)