Start by marking “Dappere Kiki” as Want to Read:
Dappere Kiki

Dappere Kiki (Ramona Quimby #3)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  30,297 ratings  ·  371 reviews
Teenagers think they've got it rough. Try being a misunderstood 6-year-old! Ramona Quimby is bound and determined to be brave as she weathers first grade, her mom's return to work, and sleeping in the spooky dark all alone. But nothing seems to go her way this year. From a fierce dog on the sidewalk to a copycat in her classroom, Ramona has her hands full.

Beverly Cleary

Published 1986 by H.J.W. Becht (first published January 1st 1975)

Kirei
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away...more
Skylar Burris
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci...more
Ciara
one of my favorite things about this book is the way it kind of shows its age with mrs. quimby's job. she starts working as a receptionist in a doctor's office to help pay for the new addition the quimbys have put on their house (a third bedroom so beezus & ramona don't have to share anymore). the girls are kind of dazzled by the idea of their mother working. beezus even says, "you're going to be a liberated woman." hahaha!

i also wonder if this book is the source of my life-long antipathy to...more
Michelle
Ramona Quimby is the best and Beverly Cleary is the best and I love them both with my whole heart. What I love best about Ramona (and this is true throughout the Ramona books): She has so many feelings but because she's young, she doesn't know how to express them all the time in the best manner. And her family is so wonderful about it. Not babying her, but trying to understand her. So real! So endearing! From the chapter 'Ramona Says a Bad Word':

After a moment Mrs. Quimby said quietly, "Go ahead...more
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

In the third book of the Ramona Quimby series, Ramona has entered first grade. She realizes that it is much different than kindergarten, and she finds it a little bit frightening and misses her kindergarten teacher, Miss Binney.

Although initially excited at having her very own bedroom, Ramona finds that her room can be a scary place at night. I had to laugh as I remembered doing the exact same thing when I was a child: Standing in the doorway and turning of...more
Irene
Up until now, we've been reading Ramona books illustrated by Tracy Dockray. I really like her drawings because they do such a great job of conveying the emotions of each character - from elation to concern to anger. Illustrations definitely add to the story, helping Isabelle to put a greater context around the words being read.

Since we're going through the series by borrowing books from the library, we read whatever editions are available. With this book, for the first time, we encountered a dif...more
Connie
Beverly Cleary has a real gift. Although her books span a period of decades, they all read as though they were written today. There's a few odd details in some of them, but mostly they rely on good storytelling and... well, very real-seeming children.

This is the story of Ramona's first grade year. Her struggles sound authentically, well, first grade. She has to deal with a copycat neighbor... and then she has to deal with the fallout of acting without thinking. She doesn't think her teacher LIKE...more
Elaine
I liked this one a lot. I liked seeing how a first grader might think and be misunderstood, and it's helping me to see things from Erin's point of view. I kinda wish she would've talked to her parents or her teacher about how she felt, rather than keeping it all to herself, because so many problems can be solved by just communication. I can see why a little girl might not want to, out of embarrassment or pride, so it has made me be more proactive is asking the kids what they are feeling. Erin sa...more
Megan
This one is probably my favorite of the series, I have no idea why though. I remember thinking when I was younger how creative Ramona was to pretend that the closet of her new room was an elevator and how she made the slipper out of papertowels from the school's bathroom. I just love these books and I never want to grow up lol.
Cheryl in CC NV
I felt in need of a comfort re-read, and so picked up a Ramona book. I chose this one because of my friends' reviews that implied it was even meatier and more significant than some of the others. It sure was! It was also less subtle. Ramona is really struggling to be understood, and the reader can't miss that theme as she says, for example, "Can't you see I'm trying?"

I'll always prefer the illustration that I grew up with, but these by Tracy Dockray are charming too.
Christina
Read out loud to my kids (both boys) and they liked it well enough. Their favorite chapter? Ramona Says a Bad Word.
Jacquelyn Hoogendyk
This book was the anchor text that my group chose for the author/illustrator study. Ramona Quimby is now starting the first grade and wants to prove how brave she can be. She thought she was brave when she stood up for her sister, Beezus, in the park but Beezus called her silly and embarrassing. She thought she could be brave by sleeping alone in her new bedroom but found it hard when her mind got the best of her. One day on her way to school Ramona was confronted by a big growling dog and prove...more
Carrie
I love Beverly Cleary. No wands, no Starstuff, no dragons. Yet she somehow makes the life of an everyday first-grader compelling.

It's been a long time since I've ready her other books, but I read every one I could find when I was a kid, and I liked them all. I'm happy to report that though my tastes have undoubtedly changed, I still like them.
Julie Decker
The Ramona books all feature little Ramona Quimby, little sister of Beezus (Beatrice), a high-spirited girl with big dreams and real fears. In this book she experiences some anxiety--mostly about dogs that steal her belongings and about whether ghosts are after her at night. But while Ramona does learn to be brave in this story, she also shows children that the fears are still there, and that being afraid or having frightening thoughts doesn't make you a wimp.

Cleary does a wonderful job tapping...more
Melissa Morton
Ramona Quimby is now starting the first grade and wants to prove how brave she can be. She thought she was brave when she stood up for her sister, Beezus, in the park but Beezus called her silly and embarrassing. She thought she could be brave by sleeping alone in her new bedroom, but found it hard when her mind got the best of her. One day on her way to school Ramona was confronted by a big growling dog and proved her braver right then and there as she escaped safely to school.

Children must lea...more
Georgina
it is the story of when ramona starts first grade. ramona thinks her teacher is mean to her, because she never picks her for the flag barrier. one day when they are making owls, susan thinks ramona's owl is pretty, so she copies it. the teacher thinks that ramona copies it, so ramona runs away. one day when she was going to school, all happy, she lost her shoe because a dog took it. at school, she makes a slipper out of toilet paper from the bathroom. but then the owner brings the shoe to the sc...more
Alanna
Just re-read this. Wow, I know I liked these books as a kid, but I LOVE them now. How did Cleary remember so well what it was like to be a kid? As I read them, I think to myself, "Ah, yes, I remember feeling like that!" But I never could have remembered it on my own in order to write it down. Genius.
Andrea
Dec 03, 2010 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: school-age kids
This is the Ramona book I remember best. As a kid I secretly hoped I would lose a shoe at school so I could staple one out of paper towels just like Ramona. While she and her sister don't always have a model relationship, I think that is one of the reasons kids like this book so much.
Terri D.
We are racing through this one-- Isabel hasn't been this motivated by a character since Laura from the Little House books-- and I don't have to "creatively edit" any racist sections, either.
Cheryl in CC NV
A simply marvelous series that is only finally beginning to be dated just a tiny bit. Will always be worthy, though.
Nikki
Working our way through the Ramona series with Abby. I love these books, and man, have they held up well.
Rhea
In Ramona the Brave Ramona is a very brave first grader. She goes into first grade finding out that her teacher is not exciting at all but just plain old calm. Once in class they were making owls and another kid who got on her nerves so much copied her owl. Ramona was a true artist so every peice of art she made had to be hers and only hers. When someone copies her she is not happy. She takes up Susan's owl and crumples it up and then throughs it into the garbage. Next to prove she is brave and...more
Kathy Ramirez
I think this book is a wonderful addition to the series of the stories of Ramona Quimby. I love the relatable themes the author has put into this story such as a mother and father's work schedules in the perspective of a child, or peer pressure to impress other people around you. All of the topics in this book can be related to a child of our current times, which makes it a wonderful, fun, engaging book to read in a classroom. I would highly recommend a classroom of students following along as t...more
Mayra B.
This book was about this girl named Ramona was in the Quimbys ,with her mom,dad,and her sister Beezus. This all started when Ramona was getting a new room for 6 months and her mom said that the work man was coming soon,when they came Ramona was exited.When her room was finished Ramona was waiting for the night to come and ready to get into bed but she was too afraid to sleep alone. Ramona the brave and Ramona Quimby age 8 both have people that don't like each other ecxept in Ramona the brave it...more
Mandy Hoffman
I remember my mother reading books about Ramona Q to my brothers and I as we grew up, but I do not remember if she read this particular book to us or not. I recently got several of Cleary's book about Ramona to read to my own three children...and quite honestly, I was disappointed.

While Ramona is a lovable character and is easy for young children - especially first graders - to relate to, I was unable to read any of the 9 chapters straight through. There are mentions of ghosts, being scared of...more
Alison
Yesenia
The book Ramona the Brave by Beverly Clearly is a hilarious book that students can relate to. The illustrator of the book is Alan Tiegreen. I would recommend this book to third and fourth graders. Students will enjoy a book that reminds them of their difficulties and the adventures they encountered growing up without the memories being nostalgic.
The story is about Ramona wanting to grow up like any other child has thought at one point or another in their life. Ramona wants to be brave and fear...more
Lauren
My five year old and I just finished Ramona the Brave. This time, Ramona's in first grade. She has said farewell to the beloved Miss Binney, who understood her and now has Mrs. Griggs as her first grade teacher. Mrs. Griggs is a no nonsense teacher. Does she have patience for Ramona and her antics?

As a grown up, there were some laugh out loud moments in Ramona the Brave. I love the scene where Ramona, in a spunky mood, finds herself confronted with a big dog on her way to school. Ramona tosses h...more
Bridget R. Wilson
[Kindergarten didn't quite prepare Ramona for first grade. It's a year of mishaps, bravery, and creativity. Loved the paperbag owls. Methinks they would make a good story time craft. I also liked that Ramona made her own coloring book.:]

First grade doesn't quite agree with Ramona. Her teacher doesn't like her. First grade work isn't as interesting as kindergarten work. Changes take place in the Quimby household as well. They build an addition on to the house--a bedroom for Ramona. To pay for it,...more
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge #2)
  • Ralph S. Mouse: teacher guide
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic
  • Henry & Ramona
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At...more
More about Beverly Cleary...
Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1) Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6) The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) Ramona Forever (Ramona Quimby #7)