Start by marking “A First Book of Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
A First Book of Fairy Tales

A First Book of Fairy Tales

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In this beautifully illustrated book, 14 classic fairy tales are retold for young children. Old favorites, such as "Cinderella" and "Jack and the Beanstalk," are presented alongside some lesser known stories, such as "The Fisherman and his Wife" and "Diamonds and Toads." Mary Hoffman's charming retellings use simple, lyrical language ideal for reading aloud, while Julie Do ...more
Published August 15th 2001 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about A First Book of Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A First Book of Fairy Tales

Tracey Demario
I always trust Dorling Kindersley to publish quality materials and A First Book of Fairy Tales is no exception. This collection of 14 stories is appropriate for preschool and early elementary aged children (N,P). The book brings together a good mix of well-known stories, such as “Cinderella” and “Sleeping Beauty,” along with stories with which I was not familiar, such as “The Snow Queen” and “Diamonds and Toads.” Mary Hoffman’s writing style is simple, straightforward and easy for little ones to ...more
Laura87
Mary Hoffman (a popular children’s author) has re-told many of the classic fairy tales known to adults and children all around the country.

‘A First Book of Fairy Tales’ is structured into fourteen of the most popular fairy tales: including the wonderful ‘Cinderella’, ‘Princess and the Pea’ and ‘Beauty and the Beast’. Some other less well-known tales are told in a way to help young children understand important issues (such as informing them that it doesn’t pay to be greedy. This is a key aspect
Jeanette
Short, quick re-tellings.
My 2 year old daughter is currently carrying this everywhere she goes.
Nichole
My 3 year old son and I read this as a part of Sonlight's P3/4 curriculum. My son loves this book and often requests his favorite stories (Jack and the Beanstalk, Beauty and the Beast, and The Frog Prince) over and over at bedtime. This is a nice collection of simplified, well illustrated fairy tales for little ones. We especially enjoyed how certain parts of the text are incorporated into the illustrations. I enjoyed that there is a good mix of familiar and less familiar stories. The retellings ...more
Mckinley
Cover the main fairytales. Pictures on every page.
Kirei
Sep 11, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers/preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
This really is a first book of fairy tales--the writing is pared down and very simple. Surprisingly, it does retain a lot of key elements of the original fairy tales.
I'm not crazy about the pictures. It is definitely not a multicultural book--everyone looks white, except in The Little Mermaid, the princess who finds the prince on the beach is swarthy and obviously non-white. (She is the only one in the entire book. What is up with that?)
Nina Sanford
Loved it. Several of the more well known stories. Well written and concise, but they don't lose the main details of the originals. You won't lose the kids' attention with these short fairy tales. Nice illustrations accompany each story.
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2012 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: homeschool
This is a book of fairy tales shortened and precise. I do miss the drawn out versions. The illustrations are a bit cramped/crowded on a page for my taste - but my boys seemed to be enchanted.
Wanda
This is a nice collection of fairy tales, retold concisely. Each story is no longer than five pages long, a perfect length for a bed-time story. The illustrations are bright and cheery.
Brandy
This is a nice book to introduce children to some of the more popular fairy tales. My son wasn't always very into the fairy tales, but I enjoyed reading it! Nice illustrations, too.
Evan Sneed
Just started reading this book, I think it will take me awhile to get through it, there are so many pictures and stories. So far my favorite is Jack & The Bean Stalk!!
Vivi
My daughter loves this book she could make me read all the fairy tales every day. I hide this book once a while because I get tired reading Cinderella.
Lotus
I like this book because it has creativity and effort in this book!
Galina Bubyakina
Galina Bubyakina is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Jeremiah
Jeremiah marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Meagan Wells
Meagan Wells marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Mirissa Foust
Mirissa Foust marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Kim
Kim added it
Oct 18, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 17, 2014
Anura
Anura marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Saraswathi
Saraswathi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mary Hoffman is a bestselling British author and reviewer, born in 1945. She is a true enthusiast of Italy and spends a lot of her time there, which shows in her Stravaganza novels: a series currently in publication. In total, she has written over 80 books, including the aforementioned Stravaganza series and the bestselling picture book, Amazing Grace. Mary is also the editor of a review magazine ...more
More about Mary Hoffman...
City of Masks (Stravaganza, #1) Amazing Grace City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2) City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3) City of Secrets (Stravaganza, #4)