Start by marking “A First Book of Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
A First Book of Fairy Tales

A First Book of Fairy Tales

In this beautifully illustrated book, 14 classic fairy tales are retold for young children. Old favorites, such as "Cinderella" and "Jack and the Beanstalk," are presented alongside some lesser known stories, such as "The Fisherman and his Wife" and "Diamonds and Toads." Mary Hoffman's charming retellings use simple, lyrical language ideal for reading aloud, while Julie Do ...more
Published August 15th 2001 by DK Children

To ask other readers questions about A First Book of Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A First Book of Fairy Tales

Laura87
Jul 01, 2013 Laura87 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Hoffman (a popular children’s author) has re-told many of the classic fairy tales known to adults and children all around the country.

‘A First Book of Fairy Tales’ is structured into fourteen of the most popular fairy tales: including the wonderful ‘Cinderella’, ‘Princess and the Pea’ and ‘Beauty and the Beast’. Some other less well-known tales are told in a way to help young children understand important issues (such as informing them that it doesn’t pay to be greedy. This is a key aspect
Nina Sanford
Nov 07, 2011 Nina Sanford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Several of the more well known stories. Well written and concise, but they don't lose the main details of the originals. You won't lose the kids' attention with these short fairy tales. Nice illustrations accompany each story.
Jan 12, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 2, almost 3 year old likes this book. The individual tales are short, and simple for really young kids. I'll be switching to another fairy tale collection as soon as I think it is appropriate, but 4 stars for being good for little kids.
Brandy
Apr 27, 2013 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight-p3-4
This is a nice book to introduce children to some of the more popular fairy tales. My son wasn't always very into the fairy tales, but I enjoyed reading it! Nice illustrations, too.
Lotus
Feb 22, 2011 Lotus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book because it has creativity and effort in this book!
Jeanette
Short, quick re-tellings.
My 2 year old daughter is currently carrying this everywhere she goes.
Nichole
My 3 year old son and I read this as a part of Sonlight's P3/4 curriculum. My son loves this book and often requests his favorite stories (Jack and the Beanstalk, Beauty and the Beast, and The Frog Prince) over and over at bedtime. This is a nice collection of simplified, well illustrated fairy tales for little ones. We especially enjoyed how certain parts of the text are incorporated into the illustrations. I enjoyed that there is a good mix of familiar and less familiar stories. The retellings ...more
ABC
Sep 11, 2008 ABC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers/preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
This really is a first book of fairy tales--the writing is pared down and very simple. Surprisingly, it does retain a lot of key elements of the original fairy tales.
I'm not crazy about the pictures. It is definitely not a multicultural book--everyone looks white, except in The Little Mermaid, the princess who finds the prince on the beach is swarthy and obviously non-white. (She is the only one in the entire book. What is up with that?)
Vivi
My daughter loves this book she could make me read all the fairy tales every day. I hide this book once a while because I get tired reading Cinderella.
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
Shelves: homeschool
This is a book of fairy tales shortened and precise. I do miss the drawn out versions. The illustrations are a bit cramped/crowded on a page for my taste - but my boys seemed to be enchanted.
Evan Sneed
Just started reading this book, I think it will take me awhile to get through it, there are so many pictures and stories. So far my favorite is Jack & The Bean Stalk!!
Wanda
Jan 04, 2010 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a nice collection of fairy tales, retold concisely. Each story is no longer than five pages long, a perfect length for a bed-time story. The illustrations are bright and cheery.
Chrissie
Chrissie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Tia
Tia rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Ashley Green
Ashley Green rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Margaret Chind
Margaret Chind rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2016
Theresa Reyes
Theresa Reyes rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Sharla Hansen
Sharla Hansen rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Mckinley
Cover the main fairytales. Pictures on every page.
sarrah riddle
sarrah riddle rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Sarah Anderson
Sarah Anderson rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Shannon Watts
Shannon Watts rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Rhian Ivory
Rhian Ivory rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Rebecca Teaff
Rebecca Teaff rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories
  • HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Mike Mulligan and More: A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • The Bee Tree
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
  • How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World
  • What's Under The Sea? (Usborne Starting Point Science)
  • Noah's Ark
  • Then and Now
  • The Secret Valley
  • Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine, Lentil
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book: World Folk Tales Especially for Reading Aloud
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes?
Mary Hoffman is a bestselling British author and reviewer, born in 1945. She is a true enthusiast of Italy and spends a lot of her time there, which shows in her Stravaganza novels: a series currently in publication. In total, she has written over 80 books, including the aforementioned Stravaganza series and the bestselling picture book, Amazing Grace. Mary is also the editor of a review magazine ...more
More about Mary Hoffman...