Start by marking “Theories of Childhood: An Introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  266 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A look at the ideas of five educational theorists in relation to early childhood care. An easy-to-learn overview of the theorist opens each chapter. The author then distills the theorists’ work to reveal how it relates to child care and children.
Published July 1st 2002 by Redleaf Press (first published November 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Theories of Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theories of Childhood

Rebecca
Feb 25, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
Great --very basic and usable--overview of Big Ideas in Childhood Development. The takehome to-do for me as a parent (and not a preschool or daycare teacher) was to empower kids to do things for themselves-- get their own snacks, set up their own workspaces. And scaffolding-- knowing their abilities and hangups well enough to provide just-the-right support for progress.

Here's some good bits:

John Dewey, p5: "'I believe that education, therefore, is a process of living and not preparation for futu
Maryann
May 06, 2013 Maryann rated it really liked it
This book was a great overview of early childhood education theories. It was broken down into the basic components and easy to understand, while also providing some story into the creators lives. Helpful to get an idea of how and why the current early childhood education system is crafted.

John Dewey was more about theories that have been adopted into the education system. This was important in moving from the 1800s style of pure memorization and strict, rigid learning styles. This added more fu
Saintjono
This is a decent overview of some of the leading theorists of childhood development. I borrowed it from the library after finding David Wood's 'How Children Think and Learn' FAR too tedious having no prior knowledge. The book does what it intends to - provide a brief overview of the theorists and how they apply to the earliest stages of school life. For me personally it would have been helpful if this were extended to cover the rest of the primary school.
I give this book 3 stars - it was ok. It
Jessica Barkl
Mar 11, 2013 Jessica Barkl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I guess I'm on fire today, my first day of "Spring Break." However, since I have no money because spring break means substitutes and part-time teachers don't get paid...I have decided to catch up on my reading. There is so much in my inbox of "currently reading" and "to-read" that I should just relish in this time.

So...this book is a textbook for the class I'm taking to receive my Alternative Teaching License. I recently found out that I don't need to be in a program, but New Mexico's Pub
Katrina Anderson
Sep 20, 2013 Katrina Anderson rated it really liked it
Mooney provides a thorough, comprehensive introduction to various childhood education theorists discussed in the United States. Being that this is a textbook, I was expecting something dry, boring, and technical; however, I was pleasantly surprised that it was anything but that. If you are experienced in childhood education and looking for something that will give an in-depth look into each theory developed in the field of education or theories involving children older than eleven, this is not t ...more
Karen Barton
Dec 20, 2014 Karen Barton rated it really liked it
This is a really great overview of theory that is easy to read. It gives good examples, explaining things like the importance of purpose driven activities. Something that seems obvious, but is often lacking in a preschool lesson plan. Definitely recommend reading this, not just for teachers but parents as well.
Katie K
Nov 17, 2014 Katie K rated it really liked it
Read this on my own to brush up on theories in education and was thoroughly pleased by the easy, engaging read of the most important theorists in education and how it has shaped the way we teach in the twenty first century. Also has some good reflection and provocative questions to help understand the reading.
Desiree
Mar 01, 2015 Desiree rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me understand the development of children better. I now know that time for exploration and observation is need for children to grow and for teachers to learn how to better interact with their students.
Bunga Petualang
Feb 10, 2009 Bunga Petualang rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I bought this book from Gowrie Victoria early learning center. It helps me to figure out how theories behind good child care practice found and developed by John Dewey, Maria Montessori, Erik Erikson, Jean Piaget and Lev Vigotsky.

Here I learn how:
+ Dewey examined the qualities that make curriculum meaningful
+ Montessori believed the importance of well-managed classroom environments
+ Erikson with the approach to making children healthy and comfortable
+ Piaget introduction to the knowledge of chil
Jul 29, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Easy summaries of major child development theories. Fast read.
Manda
Sep 20, 2014 Manda rated it it was amazing
Great overview with suggestions for further reading.
Jessica Jackson
Apr 14, 2008 Jessica Jackson rated it really liked it
This is a very introductory, approachable book. If you're new to early childhood development, developmental psych, or the theories of Dewey, Montessori, Piaget, Vygotsky, and Erikson, this book is for you. It was a quick read- I finished it in one afternoon. The majority of the discussion questions were great, too. I'd reccommend it as a starting place in child development.
Gina Denny
This is an excellent resource for parents or educators who want an overview of some of the theories behind childhood development and education. It doesn't give a lot of detail, nor cover a lot of the controversial claims made by any of these experts, but it is an excellent, high-level overview, giving you a good place to start.
Amy Nicole
This is a great introduction and summary to some major themes of well-known child development theorists. I learned a lot of information and was able to compare and contrast different approaches. This is a very quick read and doesn't go very deeply into explaining theories, but it's great as an introduction or review.
Paulinowrites
It's a great starting point however I didn't feel like it had enough meat. For example some of the things that I really enjoyed about Montessori series were not highlighted in this book but I understand this is an over view. It does have great charts and visuals.
Brianna Larsen
Aug 22, 2010 Brianna Larsen rated it liked it
Good info, could have been more user friendly...not too organized (jumps all over the place even though it says its divided into different categories...maybe she didn't have it proffessionally edited..
Simon
Dec 31, 2012 Simon rated it it was ok
An okay textbook for my next semester class. There were some new ideas about teaching I liked. Basically, it said that you have to prepare well for teaching and think about it.
Gea
Jul 30, 2007 Gea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those beginning to learn about the general theories of the 'big names' in child development
As the book says, it is an introduction to the 'big names' in child development understanding. Easy to read introduction - regarding young child development and theories.
Erin
Sep 01, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Nice introduction to the topic, with a focus on early childhood education. I was slightly disappointed that it didn't lead me to primary sources as well as it might.
John Russell
A very cursory overview of some of the biggest names in childhood development theory. Not a bad introduction, but it really only scratches the surface.
Kiersten
Jun 25, 2008 Kiersten rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycho-ed
A nice, easy read. Short and concise, covering the main child development theorists. I have gone back to it many times for many courses and simple refreshers.
Sarah Sullivan
Aug 20, 2012 Sarah Sullivan rated it really liked it
The most user-friendly theory book I've come across. If I were teaching undergrads right now I would absolutely assign this book.
Samantha
Sep 28, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
Simple, easy to read, introduction to theories of child development and their applications to the teaching of young children.
Richard Bamattre
Jan 22, 2008 Richard Bamattre rated it it was ok
the author quotes each educational theorist, and explains what the writer was trying to say in each quote. very dumbed down.
Brenda Pfeifer
May 26, 2013 Brenda Pfeifer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it gave a good practical overview of the various theories on child care practices.
Clare
Jun 08, 2012 Clare rated it liked it
I found it really helpful and useful for studying...
Deborah
Oct 25, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
A nice, very brief summary of the various theorists.
Stephaney
Jul 16, 2013 Stephaney rated it liked it
Good overview.
Christina Lake
Christina Lake marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Uzma
Uzma rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
  • Thought and Language
  • Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons in Theory and Practice
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Approach Advanced Reflections
  • The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and "Tougher Standards"
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • The Montessori Method
  • Child Development
  • Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Pre-School Years
  • Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • A Child's Work: The Importance of Fantasy Play
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Zombie Politics and Culture in the Age of Casino Capitalism

“According to Piaget, the best strategy for preschool curriculum is to keep children curious, make them wonder, and offer them real problem-solving challenges, rather than give them information. Many adults still hold the notion that a teacher is someone who shares information. Using Piaget’s theory about children’s learning requires changing the image of teacher into someone who nurtures inquiry and supports the children’s own search for answers.” 0 likes
“Piaget has helped teachers of young children to see how important it is for children to experience whatever we want them to learn about.” 0 likes