The Year Comes Round: Haiku Through the Seasons

The Year Comes Round: Haiku Through the Seasons

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Brown bear politely/offers to surrender his/den to nosy skunk." Twelve nature-themed haiku accompanied by lush illustrations take the reader from January to December. A great way to introduce children to the traditional Japanese poetry form.
Published September 1st 2012 by Albert Whitman & Company

Barbara
Thirteen haiku celebrate nature's wonders in thoughtful ways. While a couple of them don't flow as well as the others, all are thoughtful and prompt reflection. As I read two of them, I smiled to myself at the thought of disgruntled clouds being annoyed at having to send water down below and pondered how it is that those stalks of corn seem to grow to exactly the same height. The delicate illustrations show the beauty and humor in the natural world, complementing the poetry nicely.
Kim
Grades K-4

This is a book to savor quietly. Thirteen haikus, one for each month of the year and a final one about the earth and its seasons, join beautifully with lush watercolors from Ilse Plume. Although the poems aren't labeled with the months, readers will infer that the first one is about January. The fourth in the book reads "The morning rain bursts/ dandelions from the earth like/ countless little suns" and is accompanied by evocative pictures of dandelions and clover amid drops of rain....more
Amy Lemley
Captivating poetry about the seasons. Very informative about how to create your own haiku too at the end of the book. This book is definitely a keeper and one to read over and over again.
Mary
Seasonal haiku poetry - two really good ones, the rest were OK.
Charlene Mitchell
Twelve haikus about each month and the changing of seasons. The haikus describe how nature changes from month to month due to the weather and how it affects the wildlife. The back of the book contains information about haikus, the cycle of life, and each season of the year.

The author and illustrator did an amazing job working together to create this book. A perfect book to teach children haiku's, along with the different forms of poetry. Not a difficult read for any age, and could even be read...more
Terry
This was a wonderful surprise. For me, Haiku can be very stilted. This definitely was not. I could see lots of ways to enjoy this book with children.

Pros: Beautiful illustrations complement soothing poetry about the seasons of the year. This is great for bedtime with young children or in a classroom where you're teaching poetry form.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®
Great Books
Experience the wonders of each season wonderfully expressed in haiku and delicate illustrations. Notes at the back of the book explain the poetry of Haiku and a description of seasons rounds out this book for budding poetry readers. Reviewer 17
Paula
This would be a good example (for grades 1 & 2) of how to write a seasonally-based Haiku. However, the content of these poems are a bit confusing at times. The illustrations are nice, though.
Sandy Brehl
Would function well as a multi-leveled class library addition- readable but simple haiku text, detailed and appealing illustrations, back matter extends content on seasons, science.
Bethe
Received some new poetry books in the library this week. While this one features nice seasonal illustrations, the haiku is unremarkable. The back matter however adds interest to the book.
Donalyn
Travel through the seasons in this book of haiku. While the poems are unremarkable, the beautiful illustrations and scientific information in the back add value.
Chrissy
I confess, I never really get Haiku, but I have to like this one for the line about corn. How do all the corn plants agree on what height they will be?
Brindi
Haikus would be great for PSST yoga! I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but it would be a great way to use this book each season.
Read  Ribbet
Ms. B
Months of the year, seasons and poetry. A great addition to any of these units.
Linda Atkinson
Nature-themed haikus for each month of the year wonderfully illustrated by Ilse Plume.
Lisa
A book of haiku featuring one for each month.
Karen Arendt
A food addition to Haiku collections.
Line
Line marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Year Comes Round, The: Haiku Through the Seasons The Year Comes Round: Haiku Through the Seasons