Start by marking “Awake: Doing a World of Good One Person at a Time” as Want to Read:
Awake: Doing a World of Good One Person at a Time

Awake: Doing a World of Good One Person at a Time

If we're being honest, most of us live comfortable, safe, and relatively easy lives. We enjoy a quality and ease of living that most of the world could not even imagine, let alone pursue. After all, even the poorest people in America are amongst the top five percent of the wealthiest people in the world, and the faces of those who suffer the most across the globe are ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awake

Christine Grant
Oct 28, 2013 Christine Grant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: umw
I would like to say that this book changed my life, but we'll have to see if my future actions show that. Right now my heart is broken that there are so many children in this world dying because they don't have access to clean water. We have to do something about it. I have to do something about it.
Laura Pratt
Sep 10, 2013 Laura Pratt rated it really liked it

Noel Yeates is re-releasing her book "Awake" this week. And next week there will be a Facebook community book study. I just have to tell y'all about this book. Because it will open your eyes and your heart in big ways.

Have you heard of the organizations World Help and CauseLife? I had but until I read this book I really didn't know what they were all about. World Help is an amazing organization that brings hope, food, medical care, and clothing to those areas in the world that have nothing. Whe
Curtis
Feb 26, 2015 Curtis rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While I am in favour of the intent of this book (inspiring others to act in the face of injustice) I disagree with the method in getting there (see below). This book is directed at Christians and much is assumed of the reader, but I think this is where the author loses much of the potential for impact.

After spending the majority of the book exploring the depths of depravity and pain in our world the author appeals to our desire for significance to go out and do something about it. It ends up co
Megan
Jun 29, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway almost three years ago. I forgot I did but when I moved I decided to read. I am glad I did. I am in a period of my life where I have little time but am also feeling lost. And this book answered why. I found this book a very quick read and inspiring. It enourages action and provides examples of how even the smallest of compassionate, just, charitable actions can create a ripple effect with a lasting positive outcome. It is a call for all people to act - ...more
Melissa
Dec 29, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, religion
Awake: Doing a World of Good One Person at a Time by Noel Brewer Yeatts is really more about the first part of the title than the second. This book is a call to awareness. Yeatts gives many statistics and stories about the struggles of the lower economic classes around the world. It give very little advice on actually meeting those needs (which is what I was hoping for based on the subtitle).

If you are looking for a book of anecdotes to shock you out of complacency, than this is your book.
If y
AnnieM
Dec 30, 2012 AnnieM rated it really liked it
Emotionally draining and revitalizing. Not your average missionary book. The book shows our American gluttony, but showing that a small monetary effort or physical work can change the lives if many people.

This isn't an easy read, but it will be one that stays with me for years.

Do something. You can't teach a dead man. Simple concepts at times overly simplistic, but how can you ignore suffering of others.

Another great comment, "we don't care how much you know, until we know how much you care."
Katie Gliebe
Jan 18, 2016 Katie Gliebe rated it liked it
I thought that this book was very inspiring and convicting. I have a better understanding of how I can help the world by helping one person. I felt like the author was very self-promoting though. I felt like I was reading about how many people she has helped and how much she has done for the world and "Yeah, I went on mission trips all the time as a kid". God deserves the glory for what you have done in your life. Don't forget that He is the one who gives us those opportunities, and we should do ...more
Arin Jeffs
Nov 25, 2013 Arin Jeffs rated it liked it
I would have given this book 3.5 stars if I could have. When I first started listening, I thought it was the narrator that annoyed me, but then realized it was the underlying message that Jesus is the answer to all the worlds problems that turned me off of it. I was under the impression it was written with a humanistic approach, not a Christian perspective. That was not clear in the description of the book. That aside, she did a great job of telling us how oblivious we all are to the worlds ...more
Tiffany
Jul 29, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I just finished the book Awake by Noel Brewer Yeatts. This was not by any means the feel good book of the year but oddly enough it was inspiring. There are stories in here that will bring you to tears with their brutal honesty, but at the same time it will open your eyes to what is really happening in the world outside. After reading this you will realize how good things in your life truly are. Just be warned some parts can get a bit preachy but that shouldn’t discourage anyone from reading ...more
Rick Gregory
Feb 26, 2013 Rick Gregory rated it really liked it
This was a good anthology of stories about the lives of people - people with real names and faces and stories that have lived (and some have not made it!) through lives of unutterable poverty and suffering. It causes us to ask the questions about who and Whose we are. What is our identity and "Who is our Neighbor?"

Noel has done a good job of showing the faces of poverty and injustice and requiring that every reader ask what part they ought to be playing in the story of the lives of people around
Lauren
Oct 05, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
First I want to say that I've read quite a few books on this subject matter, so while a lot of this information wasn't new to me, it was a nice refresher. If you're interested in educating yourself on missions and reaching out to others in need this is a good place to start. It's short and very moving, I would also recommend you check out her website. I'm planning on using some of her videos to show our students for missions month in November.
Susan Starkweather
Jun 19, 2014 Susan Starkweather rated it really liked it
This book will wake you up! Good quotes from sources such as Brad Pitt, Mother Teresa and Dale Carnegie on world poverty, disease, and lack of fresh water. It doesn't leave you feeling hopeless just inspired to do a small part each one of us and help one child in the third world. Slowly change can happen.
Lauree
Jun 16, 2014 Lauree rated it really liked it
This is really more of an infomercial to raise awareness for needy women and children than an in-depth book. Still, the people in need are real and action must be taken as quickly as possible to solve the problems causing poverty and illness. We, the privileged few, must help the many. So I don't take the message lightly and hope to make a difference.
Anna W.
Jan 23, 2014 Anna W. rated it really liked it
This was a great book for anyone looking to find purpose and meaning in the life they're trying to live. That sounds vague, but it provides reason and hope for charitable work in the world. It does lend itself particularly to faith-based charity, but I feel that even for non-religious readers there is a hopeful and enduring message that all of humanity benefits from helping those of our weakest.
Natalie
Jul 23, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
"Live a life fully awake to the needs of this world. " - Quote from book that sums everything up & is also a great motto we should live by.
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Delonna Gibbs
Delonna Gibbs rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2013
JuliaPR
JuliaPR rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Janet Eriksson
Janet Eriksson rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Karleigh
Karleigh rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Chantel Klassen
Chantel Klassen rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Jackie Wolfred
Jackie Wolfred rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Life After 40-Reflections of a (crazy) woman
  • For Women Only: A Novel Approach to Depression in Women
  • LIFE: You're Doing It Wrong - Why People Don't Get Better Results from Self Improvement ... And what to do about it
  • Contagious Optimism: Uplifting Stories and Motivational Advice for  Positive Forward Thinking
  • Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
  • Bullies...They're in Your Office, Too: Could You Be One?
  • An Amateur's Guide to the Pursuit of Happiness
  • With Love, The Argentina Family: Memories of Tango and Kugel; Mate with Knishes
  • Gripped: Your Personality is What's Holding You Back
  • I Am in Here: The Journey of a Child with Autism Who Cannot Speak But Finds Her Voice
  • The Need to Please: Mindfulness Skills to Gain Freedom from People Pleasing and Approval Seeking
  • A Brief Guide to Thriving for Individuals with a Mental Illness
  • Which ___ Are You? Quiz Book: Quiz Book
  • Fields of Grace: Faith, Friendship, and the Day I Nearly Lost Everything
  • The Heart of Leadership: Becoming a Leader People Want to Follow
  • 104 Ways to Starve Your Anger and Feed Your Soul
  • Alzheimer's: My Journey to a Next Generation Treatment
  • Emily's Fortune

“Do you want to be safe, or do you really want to change the world? The conflict is that we want to be brave, we want to take risks . . .but we also want to be safe. The problem is, we can't have it both ways.

We want the American dream: to graduate from high school, go college, get a degree, and then what? Find the love of your life and get married. Then what? Get a job. Then what? Buy a car, buy a house, buy life insurance. Then what? Grow old and retire. Then what? ls that it? ls that all there is?

In fact, couldn't we just sum up the entire American dream in the single word "safety"? That's what it's all about. No matter what you want out of life, you can achieve it in America in comfort, style, and in the end, safety. But there is a problem. We cannot be safe and take risks at the same time.

Eleanor Roosevelt said, 'You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do' and 'Do something every day that scares you.'

This can get messy. It gets uncomfortable. It means touching people who are dying of diseases. It means going to the filthy slums, the garbage dumps, the places we would never normally go . . . just to reach that one hurting person.

So we must answer the question: Do we want to stay safe, or do we want to change the world? We can't have it both ways.”
0 likes