Start by marking “The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace” as Want to Read:
The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace

The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  3,127 ratings  ·  160 reviews
In THE VOICE OF KNOWLEDGE, Miguel Ruiz reminds us of a profound and simple truth: The only way to end our emotional suffering and restore our joy I living is to stop believing in lies - mainly about ourselves. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, this breakthrough book shows us how to recover our faith in the truth and return to our own common sense.

Ruiz changes the way we perc
Published March 10th 2004 by Amber-Allen Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Voice of Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voice of Knowledge

Donna
Nothing new here, but some good reminders all the same.

FAVOURITE QUOTE: “I don’t need to justify my love. I love you because this is my pleasure. Love coming out of me makes me happy, and it’s not important if you reject me because I don’t reject myself. In my story, I live in an ongoing romance, and everything is beautiful for me.” [p. 166]
Melissa
this book makes me realize how inadequate my words are in so many ways. specifically, any review i can give would pale in comparison to how this book makes me feel and what it makes me realize.

all my life, i have prided myself on being 'smart'. i have been proud of what i know. and lately, i have had a strong awareness of how little i truly know. this book confirms another lesson that i have been learning - my 'knowledge' is frequently a lot of lies & assumptions. and my clinging to it cause
Gina
A great spiritual book, that guides you towards going beyond identification with your mind, ego, and false beliefs. Ruiz calls the ego mind the "storyteller," and he points out it is telling lies. The book helps tame this voice in your head. The author also describes his own spiritual journey and awakening, where he reencountered love, returned to common sense, and regained his own authenticity.

The book is great for overcoming negative thoughts, and false limiting beliefs: so you can move from f
Sue Smith
A very short and sweet story that really knows how to pack a punch. One that makes you sit up and think anyways. Certainly it's one that will help you retain your consciousness when you're making decisions. Because ultimately, it's all about conscious choice. Not always an easy thing to be aware of. It's really about trying to learn to be in the now and accepting who you really are without assessing yourself and others by seeing through jaded eyes. This book isn't a one time read either. I thin ...more
Marilyn Bahena
The Voice of Knowledge
The Voice of Knowledge is a non-fiction book by Don Miguel Ruiz. This book is mainly about how to stop believing lies that we believe and tell ourselves. It’s a guide to change the way we perceive ourselves and change the way we look at others. The purpose of this book is to take us back to the way we perceived the world when we were two years old.
This book begins with teaching the reader that we have our own Tree of Knowledge which is our personal belief system; it’s ba
Michele Harrod
Fantastic. If only everyone could take hold of this concept and embrace it - we would indeed be living in heaven on earth and doing nothing but enjoying our own personal stories, and allowing others to enjoy the perfect creation of theirs. A blissful concept that I will try to embrace.
D'Arcy
Just finished this up in two days. Many of the words echo his past works, many are new perspectives, including one on the Adam and Eve story that I found a bit compelling. You just go away from Ruiz's works feeling lighter and more alive.
Devika Koppikar
I am intrigued by the concept where Ruiz states: everything we know is a projection of our perception and internalization of socialization. His analogy of comparing a painter’s art piece to our brain’s projection was amazing.

While reading this book, I was going over a unit about internal dialogue in my Speech Communication class…and the subject resonated well. In fact, I recommended it to my students as suggested reading.

However, I didn’t like that Ruiz kept referring to our internal dialogue a
Hugo
"The way to transform what you believe about yourself is to unlearn what you have already learned. When you unlearn, your faith returns to you, your personal power increases, and you can invest your faith in new beliefs."

"The best way to write your story is with love. Love is the material that comes directly from your integrity, from what you really are."

"When you enjoy the presence of yourself, you love yourself not because of the way you are, but because of what you are. The more you love your
Kat Klavon
Another gem for my treasure chest of books! Real clarity on the four agreements, in ways that are so perfect! I'm blessed to have been able to read this series of books. I think it is the ultimate on wisdom and will be a factor in the authentic life that I am having, so i can be happy without needing a reason to be. I want my beloveds to read this book. I hope to plant the seeds in my family because life is too amazing to be anything but unhappy! This is not a self help book, and yet, it is a tr ...more
Nada
Miguel, you are the voice of wisdom.

I can't really sum the book or how enlightened I felt by listening to it.
99% of what he said I experienced when I was young and didn't find the proper words to express the experience.

Beautiful and useful book to teach you how to connect with your real self, how we all are divine beings and help you opening your eyes to the truth & all your real abilities. I highly recommended it for anyone who wants to claim her/his authentic self.

Prayer:
Today Creator h
Wholenewlight
If it's true that to effect the revolution "you've got to free your mind instead" as John Lennon said, then this book is a worthy place to begin. It offers a brief reprise of his first book The Four Agreements toward the end that sheds a helpful perspective on those agreements. This book is a tonic that hopefully will seep into the veins of us all.
Truc-Vien Nguyen
Excellent wisdom to end our emotional suffering and restore our faith, confidence and joy. Everything the others think about us is just an image in their thoughts. Everyone builds an image for each person in their lives. This book shows us the way to recover our pristine conception, our faith in the truth and return to our own nature..
Nancy
“The Voice of Knowledge” was much more impactful for me than “The Four Agreements”. Ruiz spoke about respect for oneself and how that respect comes from love. Ruiz unclouds the frameworks we impose upon ourselves...he shows how knowledge and intellect can restrict the viewpoint. Ruiz shapes a reality free from illusion, where loving alone creates happiness, and reciprocity is irrelevant.

While there is reference to Jesus, the same point could have been made about any prophet or visionary. It see
Thanh
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? -Albert Einstein
Justin
I found this book to be much less useful than The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom . In this book the author seems to somewhat be making a cash grab based on previous success. The main reason I am saying this is that this book doesn't feel like its filled with love as did The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom. Also the book seems to say only one thing: that people create stories that are interpretations of reality and not reality. Hearing variations of ...more
Doug
Sep 04, 2009 Doug rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I am so disappointed in this book, that it is almost not worth the effort to jot down a review. For more than the first half of the book, the English is so bad that is it hard to follow and what you can follow seems to fold back over itself numerous times. Most of the time I was lost and I'm pretty sure that the author was too ... but that didn't seem to stop him from trying to move forward. At times it felt like I was reading a strange movie script, where not only does the main character consta ...more
David C. Mueller
A very modernistic, new-age take on the Toltec Wisdom Tradition. Since I had no previous knowledge of this tradition, I cannot gauge how well the author has updated the teachings of this tradition for modern readers interested in self-improvement. I can say that the author's insights match my own life-experience in many ways. While written in a quite compassionate tone, the book offers a strong counterpoint to the stories most of us carry inside of us; stories usually full of inaccuracies about ...more
Jen
Emily Madill
'The Voice of Knowledge ~ A Practical Guide to Inner Peace', was written by Don Miguel Ruiz. He is also the author of the International Bestseller 'The Four Agreements'. I really enjoyed reading this book and have actually read it twice; each time I found I learned new ways to adopt the principles in my own life. This guide is based on Ancient Toltec Wisdom, which I found to be informative, intriguing and to have great depth without being too complex. Don Miguel Ruiz wrote in a way that was easy ...more
Alicia
This is a great book. It helps that I have already read "The Mastery of Love" and "The Four Agreements," but I think it would be fine to read this one first if you don't have the others. The thing I like about already being familiar with this author is the way I was able to start putting into practice his ideas. When I first read his other books I thought that his ideas made sense, but I didn't realize until reading this time that I hadn't started putting them into practice. Now I am finding it ...more
Rubí Uzcátegui
Here Ruiz reminds us some important truths about ourselves. No matter what your beliefs are, his teachings will make much sense to you. The Voice of Knowledge is easy to understand and it is well written, although sometimes the Author repeats too much some ideas for my taste. However, after reading this book, I can guarantee that you and your view on life won't be the same. It really is a practical guide to inner peace.
Cennet
I recommend this book which is also similar to Eckhard Tollerts book 'A new earth'.
'The Voice of Knowledge' is a great spiritual book, that guides you towards going beyond identification with your mind, ego, and wrong beliefs. Don Miguel Ruiz calls the ego mind the "storyteller," and he points out it is telling lies. The book helps to tame this voice in your head. The author also describes his own spiritual journey and awakening.

The book is great for overcoming negative thoughts, and false limi
Colleen
I struggled with this book more than his others because he used such heavy Judeo-Christian imagery, and kept using the word "knowledge" like it was a bad thing/full of lies. I tried to see past that and found some kernels of wisdom.

I think the basic idea he's trying to convey is that we are born innocent, and then as we grow up we are socialized and taught about how to behave, etc., which turns us into different people than our true authentic selves. My only problem with this idea is that he se
Jessica
Such a disappointment! Ruiz was all over the place. It's like he just got really excited to write this book & his mind started jumping from one thing to the next without any order. There are some very solid points (that I have heard before), but it's just such a jumbled mess that it ruined the whole reading experience for me.
Ruby
In this book, Mr. Ruiz delves into how we, as humans, have fallen victim to the negative inner voice that tells us we’re not good enough; strong enough; beautiful enough; or valuable enough. He talks of how we fall prey to believing that voice, and the voices of those in our external world, making us feel that we are not enough. This is an enlightening book that offers suggestions for silencing the inner negative voices that can often do more harm than good. This is a good read for anyone who wa ...more
Tiffany
I don't agree with his premise that Satan lives in the tree of knowledge in our minds or that knowledge is bad & my life is actually a dream BUT he had some great points about how we listen to the part of ourselves that tells us how awful we are & how we believe it even though it's a lie. This book really makes you think about what you are thinking & points out that we need to respect ourselves & love ourselves & not poison ourselves or those around us with self-hatred. Thoug ...more
Erick
The biggest problem with this book is it really doesn't go into details about his concepts. Everything is existential and not very substantial as a result.
Ginger Leroy
Much better than Mastery of Love. I feel refreshed after reading this small book. It, like the Four Agreements, is a keeper. It will be reread and referred to, often.
elissa
Jun 20, 2015 elissa marked it as to-read
Recommended by one of my students today. I liked the other book of his that I read, so I may give it a try. Thanks, Santi!
  • Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy: The Teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz
  • The Five Levels of Attachment: Toltec Wisdom for the Modern World
  • The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
  • Spiritual Madness: The Necessity of Meeting God in Darkness
  • Manifest Your Destiny
  • Meditation: A Simple Eight-Point Program for Translating Spiritual Ideals into Daily Life
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • The Laws of Spirit: A Tale of Transformation
  • Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance
  • The Complete Conversations with God
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance
  • For Married Women Only: Three Principles for Honoring Your Husband
  • Stillness Speaks
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • Oneness
  • The Disappearance of the Universe
The tools shared by don Miguel are based on common sense and shared with such simplicity, that the universal message underlying his teaching is recognized by many. don Miguel's message is simple, practical and when implemented, even incrementally, changes lives.

In the tradition of the Toltec, a Nagual guides an individual to personal freedom. Combining new insights with old wisdom, don Miguel has
More about Miguel Ruiz...
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship --Toltec Wisdom Book The Four Agreements Companion Book The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery Wisdom from the Four Agreements

“How can you ask for something you don't think you deserve?” 5 likes
“You are alive, and you don’t need to justify your existence. You can be the biggest mystery in your own story.” 4 likes