Start by marking “A Planet for the President” as Want to Read:
A Planet for the President

A Planet for the President

Things are not going well for the President of the United States. He wants Americans to be adored by freedom-loving people everywhere. Instead, half the planet seems to be in permanent insurrection against US power. What's more, there's a growing environmental crisis that even he can't ignore. At a secret meeting in the Oval Office, the President is persuaded of one simple ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Orion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Planet for the President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Planet for the President

Mire
Oct 02, 2011 Mire rated it really liked it
A crazed-out, fucked-up satire that fired right in the middle of George W Bush's administration's belly. Published during Bush's government, the book portrays a series of characters, cracked out, deranged, unhinged, and in some cases scarily close to reality. The president is an ex-alcoholic with delusions de grandeur, ex-governor of his home state of Texas, surrounded by easily offended born-again Christians, over-the-top belligerent army officers, and half-decent but coward government officers ...more
chucklesthescot
Jul 04, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, political, humour
The American President is not the smartest man in the world and is controlled by his advisors. So when one of them mentions that the world is over populated and wants to cull other countries using a biological weapon, it soon turns from a joke to a change of policy. One advisor decides he has to get a message of warning to the British so that they can put a stop to the madness...
A decent political satire with an amusing ending but not one I would want to re-read. It shows how dangerous an inept
Felicia A
Sep 11, 2009 Felicia A rated it really liked it
A little hard to get into, but well worth the effort. Very toungue-in-cheek satire of a contemporary American president who was a buffoon and listened to his "advisors". I won't give away the plot, but it was different and well done. It was not hard to imagine this president with George Bush's face and voice. Not hard at all.

Added 9/11/09:

Found this link today to an alternative news site that I frequent...yes, I wear a tin foil hat. But THIS: http://www.prisonplanet.com/fda-appro... is EXACTLY w
CuteBadger
Apr 14, 2013 CuteBadger rated it liked it
A dumb US President realises, despite what he has always believed, that climate change is real and that the planet is in dire straits. His advisers come up with a radical and drastic plan to save (some of) mankind, but will the President give it the go ahead?

This is a very funny and cutting satire which makes you laugh and makes you think. It took me a few chapters to get into it, but once it had me hooked I read it very quickly. I found it witty, satisfying and scary all at once.

I would recomme
Mike Smith
This is one of my all-time favourite books. May not be a classic, but it has a special place on my book shelf.

I couldn't put the book down and when I did, I was constantly searching for the next moment when I could pick it back up.

Full of humour, political satire and a plot that will keep you guessing until the end.
Marc Thomas
Aug 14, 2016 Marc Thomas rated it it was amazing
I've read this wonderful satire three times already and will probably read it again.
It's the kind of book I'd take on holiday with me simply for the dark humour and laugh out loud wackiness.
If you love satire or any kind of parody for that matter, it doesn't get much better than this.
Highly recommended!
Jon
Sep 16, 2013 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It doesn't make you like politicians, religious people, corporations nor Americans. It could almost be used as a motivational book for terrorists as by the end you pretty much hate politicians and Americans and in particular American Poljticians! Funny in a black humour way and a bit worrying too.
Stacy
Mar 10, 2008 Stacy rated it it was ok
A political satire that borders insanity. Though biting at first (the current administration, iraq war, hurricane katrina), it falls under an absurb (yet funny) plot.

A great quick read. Recommended for anyone battling the political system in need of a good farce.
Nigel
Dec 17, 2013 Nigel rated it really liked it
Ben Elton-esque type satire, which, as stated in other reviews, doesn't improve your opinions of theists, politicians or Americans.
JOhn Arnott
Jun 03, 2016 JOhn Arnott rated it it was amazing
A really good use of satire and scarily familiar world events make for a really intriguing read. Top marks
Chris Chappelear
Chris Chappelear rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Emma Rowson
Emma Rowson rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Amamur
Amamur rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2011
Anna West
Anna West rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Chrystyna
Chrystyna rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Phil Bouwman
Phil Bouwman rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Richard Davis
Richard Davis rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Thomas Quinn
Thomas Quinn rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Vic Vic
Dec 17, 2007 Vic Vic rated it it was amazing
hilarious, really captured my sartirical side
Glenys
Glenys rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Lorri Brown
Lorri Brown rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Vhc
Vhc rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Julian Mann
Julian Mann rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
Amanda
Jul 07, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Only phrase I could use to describe this book is "kak funny." I'm laughing out loud.
Freems
Freems rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Scott Mcfarlane
Scott Mcfarlane rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Scott Quinn
Jul 08, 2011 Scott Quinn rated it really liked it
interesting plot and was unputdownable
Cis
Cis rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2010