Start by marking “The Finnish Line ” as Want to Read:
The Finnish Line

The Finnish Line (Students Across the Seven Seas)

When Nordic ski jumper Maureen ?Mo? Clark set foot in Finland, she breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, escape from her famous skier father?s shadow and a chance to jump in the renowned Lahti Ski Games. But Mo quickly realizes that balancing practice and classes is more challenging than she expected. So when a gorgeous bad boy teammate offers coaching assistance?for a littl ...more
Published October 4th 2007 by Speak (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Finnish Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finnish Line

Deana
Dec 21, 2014 Deana rated it really liked it
Recommended to Deana by: random goodreads user
This book was on my wishlist for ages -- I finally broke down and bought it myself when it fit a challenge so perfectly. I'm so glad I did! It is designed for teens, but it was a fun and fast read for me. I loved all the little cultural bits about Finland, the little snippets of the Finnish language (which I was so happy I remembered most of the words in this book from my brief period of studying it) and plus it had romance and priorities and discrimination and competition... some more difficult ...more
Aasha
Aug 25, 2008 Aasha rated it really liked it
i didnt like this book as much as some of the others, but i still really liked it. I dont like much of the sports stuff but i did find this one pretty cool. i liked learning a little bit about ski jumping.
Colette
Jul 28, 2013 Colette rated it really liked it
One of my favorite book in the S.A.S.S Series. It is unique from the other stories.
Debie
Aug 24, 2012 Debie rated it it was amazing
Mo Clark set foot to Finland for the Scholar and Athlete Exchange to work on ski jumps. Also, to escape from the shadow of his well-known family, especially her dad. She is very excited to join the Olympics. Though women athletes are not allowed to play for the Olympics (which I didn't know until I read this book), Mo works really hard for the women to be recognized.

Her host family is very nice and accommodating except their daughter and Mo's roommate, Kirsti. She somehow took care of Mo because
Soobie's heartbroken
First the review. than I'll think about the number of stars to give.

Well, I absolutely love the setting and the sport part. I think that the description of Finland seemed pretty sound, even if I've never been to Finland myself. I loved the descriptions of the different places: the snow garden, Kemi, the Ski museum...

I also loved the fact that the protagonist chooses to sky jump. We had some sky jumpers in Italy and it was quite interesting to read about how the IOC refused to give them permissi
Liralen
Jan 04, 2015 Liralen rated it liked it
Ski jumping! It's too bad this didn't come out closer to the 2014 Olympics, because it might have gotten some extra attention because of that -- given that women's ski jumping was for the first time introduced to the Olympic stage. Here, Mo is a ski jumper with aspirations of greatness, but she knows her options are limited because it's not a high-profile sport, especially for women.

In Finland, though, she can hopefully push through to a new level, and get out from her parents' overprotectivenes
Lucie
Nov 15, 2014 Lucie rated it really liked it
I found this enjoyable to begin with, but there were a few parts where I lost interest, particularly the parts about skiing history. The ending is heart-warming and I was quite sad when I finished the book, as I wanted to know what happens next! I didn't think Kirsti (Mo's "friend") was a particularly likable character. She stirred a lot of trouble between Mo and Leevi and Mo didn't seem to mind? Unsure if that's just poor writing or whether Mo was meant to be portrayed as a forgiving and unders ...more
Anna Karras
Jul 19, 2009 Anna Karras rated it liked it
Another in the S.A.S.S. series, this one itnroduces Maureen (Mo) Clark and her semester in Lahti Finnland. Mo is a ski jumper, and she has come on a Scholar and Athlete Exhange to work on the ski jumps in Finnland, but also to escape the shadow of her father, and the rest of her famous skiing family. But when Mo arrives things aren't that great. Her host family is nice, but their daughter and her roommate, Kirsti, is not so excited to have Mo around. And then when Mo finally hits the slopes, she ...more
Ruo Xi Lim
Aug 23, 2015 Ruo Xi Lim rated it really liked it
I read this book quite awhile back, but I still remembered how it touched me in a certain way. A girl is alone in Finland trying to live her dream; she learns about the Finnish sisu and then gets her happy ending.

It's really inspiring to read a book about a teen finding herself in a foreign land and learning something valuable from it. This just makes me want to read all the books from the series, but so far, this is the best.
Beth Rodgers
Sep 03, 2014 Beth Rodgers rated it really liked it
At first, the book didn't catch my interest as much as most of the others in the series have. However, after a couple chapters, I became very intrigued by the sport that the main character was always talking about - ski jumping. The story revolved mostly around that, along with schoolwork and friendship issues, but the ski jumping and what the main character was doing to make her dream of it work out became very interesting.
Trina
Apr 24, 2008 Trina rated it it was ok
I learned quite a bit about skiing and Finland from this book. But then, I know almost nothing about skiing and Finland, so more than nothing is still something.

This was not one of my favorites from this series, but I'm not sure why. It follows the same formula, but didn't quite capture my interest.
Nancye
Dec 29, 2011 Nancye rated it really liked it
I was interested in this book since the author had worked with Women's Ski Jumping USA. It is a cute book and an easy read. I also enjoyed reading about ski jumping and the references to Park City. It said it was for young adults, but I think it would be okay for girls if they are reading at a higher level. I can't wait until I can give it as a gift to my nieces.
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 Nana rated it liked it
This book wasn't a favourite of mine, but it was pretty good. I felt so sorry for Mo, and for Kristi too, her feeling so jealous she would go to pretty much extremes....so sad, not as romantic as I thought it would be...
Mia
Dec 10, 2011 Mia rated it it was ok
Pg. 7- "Her dad had always said that Finns were silent brooding types."- Her dad seems to be very stereotypical. He says and acts like he knows everything. The book so far hasn't been that good, I hope it redeems itself soon.
Mandy
Sep 09, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
I didn't appreciate the middle of the book when Leevi set the deal. I think Mo shouldn't take the deal. Leevi did it for her family name. But the book turns out to have a happy ending, and I like happy endings.
May 17, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Learning about women's ski jumping was eye opening. I had no idea the women were not allowed to compete in the Olympics. I didn't really relate with the characters, but did like how they grew throughout the book. I could relate to the cold weather, though!
Kaarina
Jun 04, 2008 Kaarina rated it really liked it
This is actually a young-adult book but it was given to me for the Finnish connection. I was REALLY impressed with the accuracy of the cultural references! The story was very fun and enjoyable, too ;)
Joyce
May 25, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it
I feel like I've been to Finland! I've never thought about how hard Olympians must work until I read this book. I never realized the dedication and persistence that they had. For me, this book was a real eye opener and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Istiningdyah
May 08, 2015 Istiningdyah rated it liked it
I'm mad because I've written a review of this book but then my internet connection screwed up and I lost it. So, whatever. I've lost my train of thought about this book. Too mad to think and write it all over again.
Carrie
Dec 30, 2007 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I really like this series.....and this one had a lot of interesting facts about ski jumping and Finland.
Ella
Apr 06, 2012 Ella rated it liked it
Simple and easy reading but as a skier and feminist I enjoyed the focus on skiing and equality in ski jumping.
Kathleen
Cute, some redeeming social value, and the protagonist is an athlete. A good, strong, smart modern girl, with some cute boys for a bonus.
♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™
Apr 13, 2008 ♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girly girls
Recommended to ♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™ by: nobody
This was a really good book but some parts were kinda boring! it isn't my fav book in the series but i still really liked it!
Charlotte Freeman
A fun read. I didn't learn as much about Finland as I had hoped but I did learn a lot about Women's Ski Jumping and that was pretty interesting.
Danielle Cole
Danielle Cole rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Mary R
Mary R rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2010
Rebbekka Potter
Rebbekka Potter rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Jia Hui
Jia Hui rated it liked it
May 20, 2011
Kasey
Kasey rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2008
2015 Reading Chal...: The Finnish Line by Linda Gerber 1 16 Feb 04, 2015 09:49PM
  • Heart and Salsa
  • Up Over Down Under
  • French Kissmas
  • The Great Call of China
  • Love, Football, and Other Contact Sports
  • Have to Have It (Nannies, #3)
  • Our Song
  • Kevin
  • Draw 50: Animals
  • Through Thick & Thin (London Confidential, #2)
  • Almost Starring Skinnybones
  • I, Columbus: My Journal 1492-1493
  • V.B. Rose Volume 5
Linda Gerber recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan where she served as the RA for SCBWI Tokyo. Her books include SASS: Now and Zen, SASS: The Finnish Line, Death by Bikini, Death by Latte, Death by Denim and the upcoming novel, Trance.

She currently lives and writes in Dublin, Ohio, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy"

More about Linda Gerber...

Students Across the Seven Seas (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Westminster Abby