The Finnish Line

The Finnish Line (Students Across the Seven Seas)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Nordic ski jumper Maureen ?Mo? Clark set foot in Finland, she breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, escape from her famous skier father?s shadow and a chance to jump in the renowned Lahti Ski Games. But Mo quickly realizes that balancing practice and classes is more challenging than she expected. So when a gorgeous bad boy teammate offers coaching assistance?for a littl...more
Published October 4th 2007 by Speak (first published October 1st 2007)

Aasha
i didnt like this book as much as some of the others, but i still really liked it. I dont like much of the sports stuff but i did find this one pretty cool. i liked learning a little bit about ski jumping.
Anna
If you love skijumping and Finland you will fall in love with this book.
if you have no idea about this stuff... you will fall in love with skijumping, Finland... and probally this book too :D
Debie
Mo Clark set foot to Finland for the Scholar and Athlete Exchange to work on ski jumps. Also, to escape from the shadow of his well-known family, especially her dad. She is very excited to join the Olympics. Though women athletes are not allowed to play for the Olympics (which I didn't know until I read this book), Mo works really hard for the women to be recognized.

Her host family is very nice and accommodating except their daughter and Mo's roommate, Kirsti. She somehow took care of Mo because...more
Anna
Another in the S.A.S.S. series, this one itnroduces Maureen (Mo) Clark and her semester in Lahti Finnland. Mo is a ski jumper, and she has come on a Scholar and Athlete Exhange to work on the ski jumps in Finnland, but also to escape the shadow of her father, and the rest of her famous skiing family. But when Mo arrives things aren't that great. Her host family is nice, but their daughter and her roommate, Kirsti, is not so excited to have Mo around. And then when Mo finally hits the slopes, she...more
Ruo Xi Lim
I read this book quite awhile back, but I still remembered how it touched me in a certain way. A girl is alone in Finland living trying to live her dream, learns about the Finnish sisu, and gets her happy ending.

It's really inspiring to read a book about a teen finding herself in a foreign land and learning something valuable from it. This just makes me want to read all the books from the series, but so far, this is the best.
Nancye
I was interested in this book since the author had worked with Women's Ski Jumping USA. It is a cute book and an easy read. I also enjoyed reading about ski jumping and the references to Park City. It said it was for young adults, but I think it would be okay for girls if they are reading at a higher level. I can't wait until I can give it as a gift to my nieces.
Trina
I learned quite a bit about skiing and Finland from this book. But then, I know almost nothing about skiing and Finland, so more than nothing is still something.

This was not one of my favorites from this series, but I'm not sure why. It follows the same formula, but didn't quite capture my interest.
Joyce
I feel like I've been to Finland! I've never thought about how hard Olympians must work until I read this book. I never realized the dedication and persistence that they had. For me, this book was a real eye opener and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Learning about women's ski jumping was eye opening. I had no idea the women were not allowed to compete in the Olympics. I didn't really relate with the characters, but did like how they grew throughout the book. I could relate to the cold weather, though!
Mia
Pg. 7- "Her dad had always said that Finns were silent brooding types."- Her dad seems to be very stereotypical. He says and acts like he knows everything. The book so far hasn't been that good, I hope it redeems itself soon.
Mandy
I didn't appreciate the middle of the book when Leevi set the deal. I think Mo shouldn't take the deal. Leevi did it for her family name. But the book turns out to have a happy ending, and I like happy endings.
Kaarina
This is actually a young-adult book but it was given to me for the Finnish connection. I was REALLY impressed with the accuracy of the cultural references! The story was very fun and enjoyable, too ;)
Kathleen
Cute, some redeeming social value, and the protagonist is an athlete. A good, strong, smart modern girl, with some cute boys for a bonus.
♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™
Apr 13, 2008 ♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girly girls
Recommended to ♥ Nate the Great ♥ ™ by: nobody
This was a really good book but some parts were kinda boring! it isn't my fav book in the series but i still really liked it!
Ella
Simple and easy reading but as a skier and feminist I enjoyed the focus on skiing and equality in ski jumping.
Carrie
I really like this series.....and this one had a lot of interesting facts about ski jumping and Finland.
Nataytay
I did enjoy this book although I must say that I was a little bit bored throughout the book..
Colette
One of my favorite book in the S.A.S.S Series. It is unique from the other stories.
Francesca
Another guilty pleasure S.A.S.S. (students across the seven seas) book...
Gabby
not as good as some of the others, oh well though, still an ok read.
Eloise
As always enjoyed this light and easy book. Just wish SASS was real!!
Morgan
Sep 28, 2011 Morgan added it
I really think this is a good book. Loved it!
Josiemonkey14
This book is a fun book that you can't put down.
jump86
Another great S.A.S.S. book!
Kelly
  • When Irish Guys Are Smiling
  • Up Over Down Under
  • The Great Call of China
  • Getting the Boot
  • The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • What's Hot: (I Heart Bikinis)
  • The Fruit of My Lipstick (All About Us, #2)
  • Lindsey
  • Girls I've Run Away With
  • Man of Many Faces, Vol. 02
  • Perfect Shot
  • Love Off-Limits
Linda Gerber recently returned to life in the Midwest after four years in Japan where she served as the RA for SCBWI Tokyo. Her books include SASS: Now and Zen, SASS: The Finnish Line, Death by Bikini, Death by Latte, Death by Denim and the upcoming novel, Trance.

She currently lives and writes in Dublin, Ohio, blissfully ignoring her husband, four kids, and one very naughty puppy"

More about Linda Gerber...
Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1) Death by Latte (Death By Mysteries, #2) Death by Denim (Death By Mysteries, #3) Trance Now and Zen