Start by marking “Will You Read to Me?” as Want to Read:
Will You Read to Me?

Will You Read to Me?

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When you are little and you've learned to read, and you've learned to write a poem all by yourself, you'd like someone big to put his arm around you and say, "Wow! Wonderful! You are terrific!"

Hamlet's pig family is more interested in supper than poetry. Sadly, he wanders off into the night woods with his book and his poems.

And there Hamlet finds something powerfully s
Published June 26th 2007 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about Will You Read to Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will You Read to Me?

Amy Musser
Hamlet is a pig who doesn’t fit in. Unlike his family, who enjoy wallowing in the mud, Hamlet sports a spotless shirt and white tennis shoes. He asks his parents to read to him, but they dismiss him in favor of a trough full of swill. Dejected, Hamlet walks to the farmer’s pond. Looking into the water, he sees his reflection and decides this must be his twin, Eggs. Hamlet reads poems to the silent, but approving, Eggs until a cloud hides the moon and the reflection is lost in the dark. But the q ...more
Sara Larson
Genre: Modern fantasy/picutre book
Age: 4-8
Summary: Hamlet is not an ordinary pig. He likes to stay clean, wear clothes, and he loves to write poems in his notebook. His family and friends think he is a bit odd. Hamlet is sad because he can't find anyone who wants to read with him. Finally, he starts to read to his reflection in the water. Little does he know that the farm and forest animals were listening, and loved his poems.
Reflection: I just love this story. The illustrations of the farm and
Courtney Sharpton
I loved this book. It is about being who you are and eventually you will find people just like you. It also really great writing in it. I would definitely use this in my classroom to show students how to use punctuation to make their writing stronger. I would also use it to show them how to incorporate poems in their writing.
Alice
Hum...this book didn't flow and was okay. I think the point of the book is to be yourself and there will be the people who will think you are strange and people who like for who you are great. His pig family was not receptive to his wearing clothes and writing poetry but he learns you can find friends in the most unusual places,.
Gail
Here's a book about a pig named Hamlet who likes to read his poetry aloud. HIs family is too busy for him but he finally finds an audience at the pond. My two year old was not interested in this book. I found it boring as well, although I think the real reason I dislike this book is Hamlet's ugly white Reeboks and Hawaiian shirt.
Wendy
Hamlet is a pig that just doesn't fit in. He is tidy and polite and he loves to read and to write poetry. Not appreciated by his family he ultimately finds other animals who share his love of literature. A gentle way to introduce poetry to young readers. Also a good read for those children who haven't found their niche yet.
Janessa
This is a story about a pig who writes and the other pigs don't like reading or writing as much as he does so he starts to write poems and reads them out loud when he thinks there is no one else listening but in the end there is an encore. I think this would be a really good book for beginner readers and writers.
Jenny
Was pretty cute. The first time I read it I liked it less because I was falling asleep reading it before naptime (note: I was falling asleep but my preschooler wasn't!). The next reading I was more awake and liked it better.
Walida
The illustrations were cute. would recommend for grades k-2nd. The story did not grab my attention but it would be a great way to maybe introduce poetry as a type of writing.
Tricia
Poor Hamlet the pig wants to share his poem but his family isn't interested. He finds an interested audience in this sweetly illustrated and well-expressed story.
Ruth Ann
I like!d the clean pig reading to his reflection when his family was busy. I loved how the problem of finding an audience is solved.
Monica
Annoying characters. Annoying interactions between characters. The finale, however, I liked a lot.
Sarah Avery
Just a quick review to anyone who has kids...buy this book. It is pure MAGIC!!!!
Polly
Cute, although not really my kind of book, I'm not sure why.
Inspired Kathy
Cute pictures but the story didn't hold the interest of my kids.
the Reeds
The book lost us once it started in on the poetry.
Angie
I didn't like it.
Kirry
Kirry added it
Dec 28, 2014
Monique Welch
Monique Welch is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Audriana Theophile
Audriana Theophile marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Carli
Carli added it
Jun 19, 2014
Danelle
Danelle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Perfect Pumpkin Pie Minnie and Moo Go to the Moon (Minnie and Moo (DK Hardcover)) Minnie and Moo: The Night of the Living Bed The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut Minnie and Moo: Wanted Dead or Alive (I Can Read Book 3)