Start by marking “Me First” as Want to Read:
Me First

Me First (Laugh-Along Lessons)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Pinkerton Pig always has to be first -- first to eat, first off the bus -- until, running to be first for a sandwich, he finds himself in trouble with the Sand Witch.
Published March 1st 1995 by Perfection Learning (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Me First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me First

Sometimes I'll read a book and I won't be able to remember the plot one week later because it was sooo boring and bad and stupid. But I read this picture book years ago back in elementary school and after reading it again today, I realized I had remembered it quite vividly. It might have something to do with the stellar illustrations, I'm not sure. I've stated before that I judge picture books on whether or not I'd want to read it to my kids, and this is definitely a keeper. Such a good moral th ...more
This is one of my favorite children's books that is both entertaining and educational. It's a humorous story with fun illustrations that work to teach the lesson that 'first is not always best' as Pinkerton Pig encounters a Sand Witch on a pig scout outing. I love to use this book in the beginning of the year in a series of other read alouds to build the classroom community and routines. This one is specifically for lining up and why we have an ABC line order for the children. The students alway ...more
Cindy Mitchell
Lester, Helen Me First, illustrated by Lynn Munsinger. PICTURE BOOK. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013. $8.99. Content: G.

Pinkerton the pig always has to be first for everything. So when his class goes on an outing and he hears someone calling out, "Who would care for a sandwich?" well, of course Pinkerton shoves ahead so he can volunteer first. But it turns out what he's actually signed up for is not eating a sandwich, but taking care of a Sand Witch, who insists he do everything from washing her
Brittany Hastings
Grade Level: 3rd
Lexile: 550
Main Character: Pinkerton, Sand Witch
Setting: Beach, School
POV: 3rd Person
Genre: Fiction

-Summary: Pinkerton the Pig is a selfish little pig who always wants to be first at everything in life. He thinks that he deserves to be the first to ride the school bus, the first to eat a meal, and the first to do anything fun. While he is at the beach one day, he hears someone call out, “Would anybody care for a sandwich?” Staying true to his character, Pinkerton ensures that he
April Smith
This book has a great play on words. Children seem to be so egocentric that they think they always have to be first or it has to be their way or about them. This book is a great way to show that you do not always have to be first or the center of attention.
Kate Perry
Pinkerton Pig is a "pink, plump and pushy" pig who always has to be first at everything. He has no problem getting other pigs out of his way so that he can always be first. He meets his match in a "Sandwitch" and she teaches him a valuable lesson. I like that not only a pig is used as the main character, but also a "sandwitch", which after reading the book it is funny to see the reference. I think this book would be great in a classroom because children are all about themselves and being the fir ...more
Pushy Pinkerton learns a great lesson from a sandwich, or is it Sandwitch? another hit for Helen Lester and Lynn Munsinger. Great lesson book for kids who always want to be first.
Liz Todd
Text to text with Me First (lionni)

Kids loved this! So funny and surprising. Clear message.
Lucille Ball
I really love this book!!! Very cute story and teaches kids a very good lesson.
This is a great book to handle that "ME FIRST!" attitude that younger children seem to be so fond of. Pinkerton the pig always had to be first for everything from sliding down the slide to the lunch line to getting on the bus. But on a trip with his Pig Scout friends, Pinkerton finds himself in a situation that he didn't quite expect, all because he wanted to be first. Pinkerton is taught his lesson and is more than happy to find his friends and be the last one on the bus.
Me First by Helen Lester is one of my all time favorite books. I love it because it can teach students to respect other people's feelings. It talks about a big issue that young students have which is to be first in everything they do. This book gives students a lesson that being first is not always the best, it also shows children that if you push other's around you could lose friends. I would use this book for students in grades Pre-K-1st grade.
Rebecca Martin
This is a good book if you want to read something short and sweet about manners. It would be very fitting to read in a classroom if the students are having trouble walking in line. It would teach them that it does not matter who is first because we are all going to the same place. After I read the book to my students, I would ask them what they think the authors message was. Then we could discuss how to get in line and walk properly in the halls.
I get what the book is trying to do. I am not sure that the goal would be accomplished in this way.
As kids, we think being first is always best. First in line for the water fountain, first picked for teams, first in the door and out the door and first everywhere. But Pinkerton Pig finds out that being first is most definitely not best.

Fun and funny, this is a good one to read when you've got a classroom of kids who are so concerned about who "took cuts!" than staying on task.
i thouht it was a good book
My son first introduced this book to me when he was in kindergarten, and I was delighted to read with my daughter tonight. We took turns reading pages, and she would laugh then talk about how unkind he was being. We had a terrific discussion about taking turns and not jumping to conclusions. Thank you, Ms. Lester, for writing this fun little story!
Abbey Smith
This book literally made me laugh out loud! It is too cute! Helen Lester did an awesome job of mixing a true social/student issue of "always being first" with just the right amount of comedy and laughter. The students love this book, but they are also able to learn a life lesson from it at the same time. The illustrations are wonderful as well.
Lyndsey Hurm
I don't know why but young children seem to think that being first in line is the most important part of their day! I wish I had this book before to read to my placement kids because I have seen kids get so upset about not being first in line and this would be a great book to teach that it is not always best to be first. Very cute!
Gaby Roman
I really enjoyed reading this story. I would use this book in the classroom during the first week of school. It sends a great message that being first isn't always the right way to do things. I would use this book to talk about how to play at recess or to discuss waiting in line and not always being the first person for everything.
Rebecca Mullins
This story is about a little boy who ALWAYS has to be first. Everyone is annoyed with him. One day he gets himself into trouble for always being first. He learns that he doesn't always have to be first, because being first isn't always a good thing. This is a good book for 1-2 grade. It's good for teaching this lesson.
Christina Camp
This was a great book to read to students especially in elementary school. It is about a little pig who always wants to be first in everything. Then he meets a "sand witch" and realizes it is not always best to be first. This book made me laugh because it reminds me so much of my students in my first and second grade placement.
Pinkerton Pig always want to be first in everything!!!!Until one day he volunteers to be first to care for a sandwich. A sandwich turns out to be a sand witch. Pinkerton learns his lesson about always trying to be first, now he doesnt mind being last. This is a great book for first graders who always want to be first.
Sung Baick
This book is a story about a pig who just always wanted to be the first in everything. He didn't care how other people felt as long as he was first. This would be a great book to pull out when addressing this issue in the classroom. Great for discussions about taking turns and being first isn't always the best.
Kim Foy
Pig wants to big first at everything.When he hears someone asking "Who wants a sandwich?" he runs to be first and soon discovers that is the Sand Witch. She takes him back to her sand castle to do everything for her, including all her chores. She teaches him that first is not always the best.
Jan 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Very cute story about a little pig who is very selfish and insists on being first at everything. He learns his lesson. The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and children can laugh at the pig's boorish (ha-ha) behavior while realizing that they should behave differently.
This book is PERFECT for Pre-K - 2nd Grade. Children are always pushing and shoving in line to be first and I think this book illustrates this problem in a hilarious manner.

I could integrate learning theme of a story to this being first issue and provide a solution.
Elizabeth Schrank
I thought that this book was entertaining. I think that it would be good to read to younger students to teach them that they do not always have to be first in line or the first one done with their work. It can teach them that being first is not always best.
Ellen Brandt
Pinkerton is a pushy pig who only thinks of himself. He learns a lesson during a trip to the beach when his "me first" attitude backfires. "Respect" is the school's theme for the month of October; Pinkerton is a good example of disrespectful behavior.
  • Harold at the North Pole
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • I'm Still Here in the Bathtub: Brand New Silly Dilly Songs
  • Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come
  • Cookie's Week
  • Sweet Dream Pie
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Winners Never Quit!
  • When Charlie McButton Lost Power
  • Pigsty
  • Fox Makes Friends
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • The Duchess of Whimsy
  • My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Pete & Pickles
  • The Best Book to Read
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)

Laugh-Along Lessons (4 books)
  • Listen, Buddy