Start by marking “The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)

The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty #5)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  320 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
1659 - Charles II; The Restoration

The bleak years of Cromwell's Protectorate are drawing to a close. Civil war and its aftermath have left Morland Place in bad case, but with the return of the king, Ralph, the master, believes he can rebuild its fortunes. For his beautiful and ambitious cousin Annunciata it means a journey to London where, embroiled in the amours and intri
Published (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Pearl

Heidi
I read this one so quickly (plane trip, among other things) that I feel at a disadvantage now that I'm trying to post about it. Also, because I'm currently reading "The Long Shadow", which is making me feel *less* inclined to like Annunciata (more on that in my first Long Shadow post) which is sad given that I think I still liked her during The Black Pearl. She just feels a bit... remote, I guess. I'm not sure if it's unfair that in my mind I'm connecting her to various Stephanie Laurens protago ...more
Ana T.
Nov 17, 2011 Ana T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles continues the story of the Morland family using English history has the background. This entry is volume number five and has the previous ones it has a female Morland as the main character. This time it is Annunciata Morland, Ruth's daughter.

Annunciata never met her father, in fact no one, except her mother, knows of her parentage. That, however, doesn't stop her from being a proud and arrogant young woman who loves to be the center of attention and to belittle her less fo
Virginia Van
Cromwell's Commonwealth has ended and the return of the King brings new success to the Morland family, especially to Annunciata who finds herself the toast of the court in London with all its amours and intrigues - including one which leads to the unlocking of her mysterious past.
Lian Tanner
Mar 31, 2012 Lian Tanner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is a wonderful series and I'm reading it through in order. So far I haven't come across a single dud, and this is number five in the story of the Morland dynasty. The characters are deeply human, fallible, annoying and interesting in turns. I didn't like Annunciata at first - she was so spoiled and vain and selfish - but she grows up as the story progresses and becomes much more likeable.
Nancy
Nov 28, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Another good read about the Morlands. I am really enjoying this series about England's upper class through the centuries. Thanks to Komet for listing this series as favorites.
Nikki
The Morland family's fortunes rise again during the Restoration years. Originally conceived as a painless way to teach English history, the Morland Dynasty series does occasionally insert a few too many paragraphs of historical explanation, but if you don't mind that, I would recommend this series.
Marg
Jan 30, 2012 Marg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

It's been more than 18 months since I read the last Morland book and I have no idea why. I think this is my favourite so far, not only because of the focus on Charles II but also because of more appearances by Prince Rupert of Rhine.
Luci
Mar 05, 2011 Luci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the series. The series is still holding my interest and this one covers the Restoration. I enjoy the strong female characters as well as the interesting ways she brings the family into British history.
Mimi
Jun 25, 2011 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Another solid entry in the "Moreland Dynasty" series, this one takes up as Cromwell's rule is ending and the King is brought back.
Edith Clayton
# 5 in the series. 6 & 7 are in the mail & I can't wait to read them.
Frances
Although flawed, the heroine was too good for men in her life.
Lucie Pospěchová
Lucie Pospěchová rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Andy R Leatham
Andy R Leatham rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Jennifer Shaus
Jennifer Shaus rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Estelle
Estelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Kim Pregent-belanger
Kim Pregent-belanger marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Monika Kvěchová
Monika Kvěchová rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Georgina brandt
Georgina brandt marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
kathryn w
kathryn w marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Emma.Maxwellwcs.Ac.Uk
Emma.Maxwellwcs.Ac.Uk marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Teri
Teri added it
Jan 17, 2016
Philomena
Philomena rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • Foxfire
  • Marry Me: With Scandals Bride And A Rogue's Proposal
  • The New Countess (Love & Inheritance Trilogy, #3)
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • The Duke's Desire (Harlequin Historical, #528)
  • The Vizard Mask
  • The Untamed Heiress
  • Dynasty Of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Mistress by Mistake
  • The Sheikh's Wayward Wife (Sheikh Tycoons, #2)
  • Lady Allerton's Wager
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • The Wicked Earl  (Harlequin Historical Series, #843)
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on 13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, star
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...

The Morland Dynasty (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1)
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3)
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
  • The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)
  • The Chevalier (The Morland Dynasty, #7)
  • The Maiden (Morland Dynasty, #8)
  • The Flood-Tide (Morland Dynasty, #9)
  • The Tangled Thread (Morland Dynasty, #10)
  • The Emperor (The Morland Dynasty, #11)