Start by marking “Knee-deep in the Dead (DOOM, Band 1)” as Want to Read:
Knee-deep in the Dead (DOOM, Band 1)

Knee-deep in the Dead (Doom #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  43 reviews

The Gates were there on Phobos when mankind first arrived. Inert, unyielding, impossibly alien constructs, for twenty years they sat lifeless, mute testaments to their long-vanished creators, their secrets hidden. Then one day, they sprang to life...

Meet Corporal Flynn Taggart, United States Marine Corps; serial number 888-23-9912. He's the best warrior the twenty-first c

Published (first published August 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Knee-deep in the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knee-deep in the Dead

Cait
The chief amusement of this book was that it made me nostalgic for all of that time that I wasted as a teenager playing the game on which this book is based -- but hey, it was an awesome game, so, y'know, I enjoyed reading this a lot.

It wasn't The DOOM Comic of yore (comic reading link, youtube dramatic reading), of course, which is and always will be the DOOM adaptation against which all others must be compared, and I think that where it missed most of its mark was that, unlike the comic, the b...more
Adam Boudreau
The original Doom is a rather mindless and repetitive game, so to see this novelized was quite the curiosity. To further my resolve to read this, my friend went so far as to tell me the novel was actually very good. Based on this, I thought it was time to give this a try!

People expecting some grandiose literary work with a fully in depth story should probably look elsewhere. This book is written in the spirit of the game! Those complaining about the books sequence where the characters, mainly F...more
Frank
This review is being written over 15 years after the fact. The boy who read this book and loved doom, has grown up, but still this book is remembered fondly.

The big thing about this book, is unlike the scholastic series of Video game books, this is written as if it was a real book, that only owes a theme from the game, and it comes off surprisingly good. It's not high end fiction, it's not pop fiction, this is a novelization of a video game that takes a good amount of liberties to keep it intere...more
Ian
So, you got a game about demons invading a Mars outpost, and a lone marine fighting back the hellish tides. Not much to work with, but it can be done, right? Well, the authors decide that the best way to adapt the game is to make it as literal as possible. At one point, the hero touches a glowing blue orb and then feels better afterwards. Yup, it even keeps the power-ups! It wouldn't be so bad if the action was written well, but as it, it's pretty much "I turned the corner, shot a demon, turned...more
Rémy
I’ve read bad books before. There have been books I wanted to toss across the room after reading. There’s even been a book I wanted to burn after reading. Several books made me feel disgusted at the amount of time I put into them. You know that feeling where you feel disgusted you let that book into your mind, and let it roam around for a while? The first Doom novel somehow worse than the books that made me feel all these things.

The narrative is a clunky mess. It follows a space marine as he get...more
Dark-Draco
Flynn Taggart is a Marine, threatened with court martial until the Gates on Mars suddenly start working. Aliens that resemble our very human ideas of demons, plus a few zombies thrown in for good measure, take over the base, leaving Flynn on his own. Following marks that he hopes are left by his mate, Arlene, he travels down the levels of the base, the monsters getting worse and harder to kill, the scenery changing at each doorway, and challenges to solve before he can move on.

This was an intere...more
J.W. Patten
What is fear?
Naturally, this will form a different definition from person to person. In the case of ID, the creators of the video game, DOOM, fear is simple:
You are alone. You have to find your way out of a maze. There are creatures within the maze that will kill you. You have only a pistol.
Now escape.
Level after level, maze after maze, you have only two objectives: escape, and survival.
I was addicted to this kind of gameplay from the start. And when DOOM's story became a series of four books,...more
Dustin
Two and a half stars, but I'm feeling generous so I'll round up in this case.

I'll admit I'm surprised. Going in I expected this to be absolutely terrible. It's a novel based on an early 90's first person shooter that I found in the dollar bin of a local book store. Turns out it wasn't bad.
Now, it's exactly what you'd expect in terms of story. You follow a SPACE MARINE as he fights his way through hell on Mars (well, since it's based on the original Doom, above Mars, but whatever), trying to lo...more
John Opalenik
Based on the video game series, but only as a jumping off point (which makes sense since the video game had an extremely simple plot).

Rather than "demons" they're aliens, and the whole situation of Earth is actually a very small conflict, almost insignificant to a greater multi-galaxy war. Interesting idea.

I was probably too young to read it at the time, but it did inspire me to be able to read more complex books.
Chris Hamburger
I enjoyed it as I do all brain candy, monster killing, heart shattering bullets almost missed the hero by an inch type of stories. It is surprisinly philosophical, but perhaps only because I tried my hardest to find more value than just as mental fluff.

Its a book about a video-game. Its not Tolstoy.

It does get confusing trying to follow the characters around the infinite platforms, pushing infinite switches, to lower infinite "lifts", but the game was just as confusing and as such i don't blam...more
Tommy Sutherland
I've seen this book blasted a good few times out there in cyberspace but as a doomer it's everything I was hoping for. Taking you through a rough idea of the levels at break neck speed it sure packs a punch. It's got it all in there with a healthy dose of nostalgia to boot. Why would yours truly give it a four. Simply because of style. Perhaps this is where most get stuck. I reckon it's bang on!
Nativeabuse
I was a huge fan of Doom and I still kind of am, and I've got to say that this is probably one of the best tie in books I've ever read. People complain that it is to simplistic and boring, but I really enjoyed the way that it kept with exact the style of the game, which for some people was a bad thing.

I really enjoyed being able to tell exactly where our hero in the book was in the game on most pages, it really follows the game incredibly closely.

The other books in the series veer off into the...more
Lexi Rogers
AWFUL. A play by play of exactly what happens in the video game. Story, writing, everything about this book was terrible.
Matt
Just re-read this after having read it 13 years ago when it came out. I was about 14 and wayyyyyyy into Doom at the time. I gave it the fourth star more for nostalgic value than anything, but even then the book did hold up better than I thought it would. It is surprisingly well-written for the kind of book it is (short action scifi novel based on a videogame). The prose has some faults, but they're not that annoying. I'd say if you were into Doom back in its hey-day then you'd probably enjoy thi...more
Georgi Pachov
Curiously fast paced story, told in first person. It very much follows the feeling of the first Doom game. If you are looking for a serious read with a mystifying deep story-line, this simply isn't it.

However there is a lot of action, a lot of dynamics, so overall it was a cool read.
Sid
I have spent so many hours on the video game I was wondering what the background story may be. Was not even aware there were books on doom. Thanks to ebay I bought the lot cheap. Usually I don't read to much science fiction. I thought they were ok. Books 1 and 2 kind of explained what happen in the game. # and 4 took it much further. Not a bad light read.
D.seL
This small review goes for the entire 4 book series..had great potential as a story..was ruined by the absolutely atrocious language and riddled with blasphemies...not really something you want your child to read. All the unnecessary profanity really detracted from an otherwise promising storyline...docked 3 stars for excessive profanity.
Scott
This book sticks quite closely to the original Doom first episode of the same name. Similar rooms and enemies are described. this doesn't make it bad though, the addition of some extra characters makes it very interesting and some scenes in particular, if you played Doom, will really bring back the fear of your first encounter with Barons of Hell.
Silversand2021
Decent (not great, but decent) military SF action book. If you happened to read it while/after playing the game, it was pretty enjoyable. Otherwise, it's a C-grade mil-SF story, with relatively shallow characters, and we know how such things end - the hero, after having lost some loved ones, conquers evil & saves the world.
Glen McColl
No Flynn, you ARE the demons...

Play now (ZDoom source port for modern windows):

Shareware Knee Deep In the Dead episode:

Unzip ZDoom into the shareware directory and click to play
! Easy!
Patrick Stewart
I dont really know how good this book would seem to me now, but when i was in high school i read in 2 days. I played the video game a lot when i was growing up and always wished there was a story to fill in the gaps. Also it has time travel and post apocalypse, two of my favorite settings.
Jerry Hart
A fun, yet repetitive, read. I liked the chemistry between Fly and Arlene, and the monsters were various and interesting. I haven't played "Doom" in years and don't remember much about it, but I may read the other books and play the games again.
Sonny
A book for die-hard fans of the game (and I was a die-hard fan, believe me!), but the narrative and writing is perhaps as bad as it gets. Video games do not translate very well into cinema or prose it seems and this is a prime example.
Tom Lawrence
Embarrassed to say I've even own this. The book reads like an 8 year old's story for an English class: "And then I did this and then I did that".

Possibly the worst novel adaptation of a video game in existence.
Michael
Great first book of the series. As always obviously it differs from the actual game but it's made me more keen to read the entire series. I bought Book 1 & 2 together so I can't wait to start on the second book.
Kristopher Neidecker
It's fun. Come expecting Tolkien quality writing and you will be disappointed. Come expecting a fun romp through the world of the game Doom with decent characters and good action, and you will enjoy it. 'Nuff said.
Austin
Straightforward action with minimal side-story. Does a pretty good job blending fun aspects of the game, but not all of the worlds/enemies/weapons are in the novel, perhaps later in the series though.
Courtney
Basically the worst book ever, which is exactly why it gets 5 stars for the ability to open to any random page and read any random passage in your best space marine voice for Instant Entertainment.
Kj Bartell
I really enjoyed this book. Took me back to the days when I would play the game on the Nintendo 64. Wish I still had that game. I did enjoy reading this and it was a nice easy read.
Jackson
Did you like the video games? You'll probably enjoy the books. Are you looking for a serious read? Look elsewhere. These books are a goofy romp in the Doom universe that I enjoyed reading.
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • City of the Dead (Resident Evil, #3)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • God of War
  • Legacy of Blood (Diablo, #1)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
Moon of Ice Sliders Free Space Endgame (Doom #4) Anaquia