Start by marking “Dekade Keserakahan: Era '90-an dan Awal Mula Petaka Ekonomi Dunia” as Want to Read:
Dekade Keserakahan: Era '90-an dan Awal Mula Petaka Ekonomi Dunia

Dekade Keserakahan: Era '90-an dan Awal Mula Petaka Ekonomi Dunia

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Edisi Indonesia The Roaring Nineties. Dilengkapi pengantar khusus Stiglitz untuk edisi Indonesia.

Runtuhnya komunisme di awal dekade ’90-an membuat kapitalisme disanjung sebagai satu-satunya sistem ekonomi yang sahih. Program-program pasar bebas dan deregulasi pun digencarkan oleh AS di dalam dan luar negeri. Pertumbuhan ekonomi memang melonjak, tapi tak lama. Hanya dalam b
Softcover, 386 pages
Published 2006 by Marjin Kiri (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dekade Keserakahan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dekade Keserakahan

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Buku yang meledak-ledak, lugas dan garang dalam membuktikan bahwa globalisasi dan pasar bebas sbg upaya peningkatan taraf ekonomi negara berkembang hanyalah mitos. Keduanya justru adalah alat kolonialisasi modern negara Barat dalam menguras kekayaan negara berkembang.

Ditulis seorang pemenang Nobel Ekonomi--saya benar-benar setuju :)-- secara blak-blakan buku ini mengupas tajam betapa meski sistem ekonomi saat ini terlihat canggih, modern, dan maju, tersimpan borok-borok keserakahan yang menggero
I learned a few interesting things from this book, but overall it was too polemical with too little detail about the actual events I hoped he had witnessed in his time on the Council of Economic Advisers and at the World Bank, and would share in the book.

I agree with a lot of his opinions as expressed in this book, but would have preferred to learn more actual facts, and to have the opinions accompanied by more discussion of the unfolding of actual events in ways that support his opinions. The w
A compelling "prequel" to the financial disaster of the late 2000s - Stiglitz makes plain what was wrong with the U.S. financial system in the 1990s, especially in terms of executive compensation incentives and the way the U.S., through the IMF, pushed other countries to take stern measures that we weren't willing to undertake ourselves. As I read this, I couldn't help but see the inevitability of the financial mess of 2008 and wonder at how little we've done to change the incentives.

This is a
Minesh Mathew
Stiglitz shares his experiences, as the chair of the council of the economic advisors, in the Clinton administration, and tries to explain in simpler words how the voodoo economics promoted by the Republicans resulted in the 1991 recession. He explains in details, how downsizing the government, and flawed accounting practices along with the deregulation in the banking and financial sector resulted in an economic downturn. He writes a great deal about the choice of deficit reduction as a means to ...more
This is the best history of the 1990s that I have read anywhere. Joe Stiglitz has a bit of a reputation as an iconoclast (deservedly so) which can lead to a somewhat polemical writing style, but this is more evenhanded treatment of the subject matter. Stiglitz's insight as an economist are excellent and his access is outstanding: he was a member of Clinton's Council of Economic Advisers and later the Chief Economist at the World Bank (from which he was later fired for his outspoken views about t ...more
Very illluminating book by a Noble Prize winning Economist who actually uses basic intelligible English words to describe the worlds of finance and government policy. He is an unabshed gung-ho Clinton partisan and proudly boasts about that Administrations economic legacy. Clinton actually did hire some smart economists like Stiglits and Lawrence Summers buy they have to take some of the blame (along with Alan Greenspan) for the massive financial deregulation that led to excesses and ultimately t ...more
Brian Sobolak
Enjoyed it, mostly. I liked that I finally heard a criticism of policies I intrinsically didn't trust framed using the same language as the original argument. (I mean to say: it's nice to hear an economist criticize market policies using economics to do so.) That was truly enlightening -- like the world in some small way went from 2D to 3D--it was really that enlightening.

But he could do a little better to admit he might have ever been wrong about anything -- too much of the book sounded like "W
lucia di poi
Amazing in-depth analysis of the economic disfunction and corruption of the 90's, and how Bush has not only not learned the lessons but gone out of his way to avoid them with his corporate aid and foreign policy agenda. Talks only a little about the globalization aspect of it, but one of my next books will definitely be Stiglitz'
"Globalization and its Discontents". It's really well written, and those not well-versed on economic theory may take longer to read but its totally accessible, while at
Leon Franklin
A Keynesian way to solve the capitalism decai
Sebastian Uribe
Una magistral cronica de una epoca turbulenta y engañosa como los 90 por parte de uno de los mejores economistas y pensadores de nuestro tiempo. Increible como los errores se repitieron en la decada pasada de nuevo. Codicia, egoismo y mentiras. Mas que un libro de economia, por momentos parece un thriller policial.
Not always an easy read, makes you come away thinking of Clinton as a superhero. I enjoyed the depth it went to in some parts (this was the first definitive account of the 1990s Id read), and the sense of foreboding he leaves you with is compelling when taken in light of the GFC of 2008-09.
This book does a fair job of analyzing some of what happened in the 90's. I think we can say today, that we are seeing how prosperous we really were. It also does a good job of pointing out how much capital was squandered by private firms during the tech bubble.
Enlightening explanation of the boom and bust of the 1990s. Sound economic reasoning, but written in layman's terms so that anyone who has an interest in understanding the macroeconomic issues of this era can easily digest this book.
Dinesh singh rawat
I couldn't understand this book probably.But as far as I can understand this book is more about America's growth in Nineties and problem associated with that Growth. That fast growth problems surfaced in early two thousand.
a great thought-provoking book. J's insights are particularly fit with what's happening right now in the States. Though his prediction of recession ending by 08 seems out of date.
Joe Kaiser
absolutely essential for anyone who wants to dodder on about socialism, the free market, executive bonuses, or anything else i didnt understand before this book.
Maisya Farhati
still reading, but it's a little bit complicated if we read without basic knowledge in economic theory
Toesnorth's mom
good, but mostly over my head
Ravinder marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Urh is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2015
Igpereira marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Abhishek Bhat
Abhishek Bhat marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Praveen Kishore
Praveen Kishore marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Felicia Hong
Felicia Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • The Holy Grail of Macroeconomics: Lessons from Japan's Great Recession
  • In Defense of Globalization
  • Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education
  • A History of Economics: The Past as the Present
  • Wealth and Democracy: A Political History of the American Rich
  • Merdeka 100%: Tiga Percakapan Ekonomi Politik
  • Open Society Reforming Global Capitalism Reconsidered
  • Culture and Prosperity: The Truth About Markets - Why Some Nations Are Rich but Most Remain Poor
  • Butterfly Economics: A New General Theory of Social and Economic Behavior
  • Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance
  • The Rise and Decline of Nations: Economic Growth, Stagflation, and Social Rigidities
  • Principles of Political Economy: And Chapters on Socialism
  • Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation
  • Debunking Economics - Revised and Expanded Edition: The Naked Emperor Dethroned?
  • A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World
  • The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century
  • The Creation of the Media: Political Origins of Modern Communications
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
Joseph Eugene Stiglitz, ForMemRS, FBA, is an American economist and a professor at Columbia University. He is a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (2001) and the John Bates Clark Medal (1979). He is also the former Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of the World Bank. He is known for his critical view of the management of globalization, free-market economists (whom h ...more
More about Joseph E. Stiglitz...