Start by marking “Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Phoenix

Phoenix

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
At sixteen, Tucker has nothing but the clothes on his back, the bruises on his ribs, and the truth about what happened between him and the band teacher. He left home looking to escape his memories, but all he's found on the road are new bad ones to take their place.

Then he meets Gabriel, a beautiful hustler, and Kelsey, a fire-obsessed girl with a head full of fairy tales.
ebook
Published May 11th 2012 by Musa Publishing (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix

Aa'Ishah

Wow. This was something incredibly different from your average story. Jennifer Mason-Black has a truly beautiful writing style that captures emotions and thoughts perfectly. Despite this being another short story, the auther expertly deals with issues like homosexuality and abuse. Somehow she also mixed that with an almost supernatural element. Phoenix left me with questions at the end, but for some reason I'm not frustrated with not knowing. The ambiguity of it actually sits very well
Margaret Lesh
The first line of Phoenix is great. "The thing about stories is they've got to have hope." At turns beautiful and heartbreaking, I felt moved reading this story of a young man's remembrances of a tragic past, of running away from himself, and of not being accepted. In his running, he meets Gabriel and Kelsey -- tragic characters themselves -- and recounts their brief time together.

We hear so much about bullying and homophobia in our society today. People, especially young people, feel that they
Meghan
I absolutely loved this book. The entire thing read like this beautiful poem. Everything about it, every line written was beautiful, meaningful, and packed a punch. It's a short, but really great read and I seriously think everyone should probably read it.

I'll be honest and say I initially picked this book to review because it's called Phoenix, which just happens to be my oldest son's name. But wow am I ever glad I did pick it! I can't really say a whole lot because it was such a short story. B
Sarika Patkotwar
*NOTE: We (The Readdicts) received a copy of Phoenix from Musa Publishing in exchange for an honest review. We thank the publishing house for the book!

I was looking forward to reading Phoenix as it is my first proper LGBT read. Plus, 'phoenix' is such a pretty word and the book has such a fiery cover!
The three adjectives that best describe Phoenix are- complex, mature and stupefying.
Tucker, Gabriel and Kelsey have their own fears, difficulties and complexities. Their lives are intertwined whic
Mrs Rabbit
Phoenix is a unique book that spans age ranges and genres. Whatever age of the reader, the author Jennifer Mason-Black has provided a connection with the main characters. This book is haunting, poignant, raw, powerful ... dark with hope ... it is unique ... one of those stories that academics dissect, book clubs discuss, and readers treasure, for its inherent truth and clarity.

I have no words ... my breath has been taken; the story is still haunting me, 3 days after I turned the last page.
~Kate~

This is another Musa Publishing book that I have read and it's another one that was enjoyable. I am really pleased that I am giving books that I normally wouldn't know about a try.

I love this book cover as it's simple yet very eye catching. I love the feather which does tie in with the story and I also love the colours of it as it makes it stand out. I love the patterns that are also on the cover as this was needed other wise it would have been too plain.

Phoenix was another short book for me whi
Sage Collins
I would have given this five stars if I hadn't felt so separated from the first half. I don't know if it was my concentration or the style. Once I felt more connected to the characters, the story flowed beautifully, and I nearly cried at the end. Lots of beautiful prose.

Recommended for fans of: novellas, LGBT stories, phoenixes, stories of hope.
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Christine Woo
Christine Woo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Jayde
Jayde marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Anna Hess
Anna Hess marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Debbie
Debbie added it
Feb 09, 2014
Tanager Leigh
Tanager Leigh marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 02, 2013
Maisha
Maisha marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Hafsa
Hafsa marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Cassondra Ott
Cassondra Ott marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Heather Boustead
Heather Boustead marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
The King’s Huntsman Fireside Magazine Issue 16 Specutopia - Magazine of Speculative Fiction, Issue One