Start by marking “Ya Yas in Bloom” as Want to Read:
Ya Yas in Bloom

Ya Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas #3)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  10,950 Ratings  ·  504 Reviews
An emotionally charged addition to Rebecca Wells' much loved previous novels, 'Ya-Yas in Bloom' reveals the roots of the Ya-Yas' friendship in the 1930s and roars through the 60 years of marriage, child-raising, and hair-raising family secrets.
Published May 3rd 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Ya Yas in Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ya Yas in Bloom

Kerry
Mar 11, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: everything
Now that I have read all three of Rebecca Well’s Ya-Ya books, I can honestly say that while Divine Secrets was the most intellectually satisfying of the three, Ya-Ya’s in Bloom was the most emotionally satisfying.

It’s mostly a matter of tone. The books seem somewhat like a continuum… or maybe more like working through the stages of grief and recovery. In Little Altars Everywhere, I felt the author dwelled on the broken, angry, bitter aspects of the Walker family history. In Divine Secrets of th
Alana
Sep 28, 2007 Alana rated it did not like it
seriously, it's as if she was drunk when she wrote this. or gave it to her child to write. or gave it to her drunk child to write.

don't read it, don't don't don't

but if you DO read it, make sure you read and fall in love with the first two books first
Kandice
Feb 24, 2010 Kandice rated it it was amazing
I adore the Ya Yas. I have read this and the other two books about them before, seen the movie countless times, and often wished to BE a Ya Ya. This was my first time audio-ing one. Judith Ivey was the perfect narrator. Her accent was spot on, she did the voices (which I usually hate on audio) perfectly, and if she wasn't tipsy when she was relaying a story from Vivi's POV, then she is one of the best actresses I have ever heard!

I actually prefer this book and Little Altars Everywhere: A Novel t
Michelle
Where do I begin?

First, I know this has nothing to do with the actual story, but I needed a place to vent my frustration. I also know that I shouldn't be so superficial nor should I judge a book by it's cover, but I have to say a serious, okay maybe not significantly so, but still, a distraction was the author's "glamour shot" on the back cover. Those ultra short, choppy bangs and drawn in eyebrows turn what would otherwise be an okay face into an old lady who looks like she is trying way too ha
Steven
Apr 08, 2012 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die hard Ya-Ya fans!
The familiar and much loved characters of the Ya-Ya series return in a collection of short stories. As always, I enjoyed the writing style, rich characters and Louisiana setting (a personal favourite of mine). I felt the additional character development of Baylor particularly interesting - a sensitive man who refuses to carry a gun or kill a deer but still goes hunting with the other masculine characters. The closeness of Baylor's relationship with his wife and children was touching. I was left ...more
Tina
May 27, 2013 Tina rated it did not like it
Worst. Book. Ever.
What felt so cheap was the glaring disregard of continuity, as in the film biz type where a scene in a later take Must match the scene in a previous take.
Here, we have Caro serving the kids chili and cornbread, and on the Facing Page, fer Krisesakes, one of the kids snatches another slice of garlic bread. !
Another glaring lapse: Vivi learns about the Globe, pours herself a gin and tonic, downs it, fixes another and takes it to the guest house where Baylor is playing with it. Sh
Giddy Girlie
Jan 02, 2008 Giddy Girlie rated it it was ok
Shelves: once_is_enough
I saw this book in a miscellaneous pile at the library and picked it up by chance. I had no idea where the book lay in the chronology of the series and was very excited to see that it was short story format, like Little Altars Everywhere. However, it was obvious within the first few paragraphs that this is a "new" book that tries (unsuccessfully) to tap into the "old" vibe.

As other readers have already commented, it really feels like an obligation to the publishers and/or public, and not at all
K M
Oct 18, 2012 K M rated it liked it
I have kind of mixed feelings about the book. While I love the characters, and have enjoyed all three of the books about them, this book left me with some feelings that I need to sit and think on. While reading the previous two books, I remember thinking how wonderful to have such a close-knit group of friends to form a life-long circle of support and safety. In this book, the vignettes about two other local women (a mother and daughter) made me think about the exclusivity of the group, even acr ...more
Jaclyn
May 29, 2011 Jaclyn rated it liked it
If I had read this ten years ago, I probably would have given it five stars. After all, in high school, I was obsessed with all things Ya-Ya. Seriously - I read Little Altars Everywhere and Divine Secrets multiple times. I loved Sidda and her artistic take on the world. I loved the idea of friends being best friends since childhood. I loved the Southern phrases and the references to entertainers through the decades. And, of course, I loved the drama of it all.

Now, while I enjoy the books, I see
Courtney
Jul 27, 2009 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Another delightful Ya-Ya book from Rebecca Wells.

Ya-Yas in Bloom is told from multiple viewpoints, with some stand alone chapters. Other chapters offer multiple views of the same storyline. There is not a cohesive storyline tying everything together like there was in The Ya-Ya Sisterhood. This book is more about snapshots in time, told from the perspective of different characters. We do get to learn a little bit more about the male characters of the Ya-Ya world.

This book was a fast and enjoyab
Krista
Aug 16, 2010 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Judith Ivey performing these characters is as good as a Broadway show. I laughed, I cried, I held my breath and pulled the car over so I could listen. The book itself is really just a bunch of unconnected character sketches that jump around in time, with no plot and no consistent perspectives. I get the feeling that it was published directly from the author's notebook, where she had written back stories on her characters and their children that never made it into the Ya-Ya Sisterhoo ...more
Gina
Jan 14, 2013 Gina rated it liked it
I read the first two YaYa books many years ago- Little Altars Everywhere and the Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. I remember them as being a pretty fun read, but this book seemed to try to hard. It was almost like a really bad sequel that just didn't need to be made. The story jumped all over the place, giving the reader pieces of the 30's, the 60's, and the 90's. I walked away from the end of the book thinking, so what? I couldn't be bothered with the sloppy plot line.
Larissa
Dec 11, 2014 Larissa rated it it was ok
You always hope a sequel will be exciting--after all, your favorite characters get a chance to continue their stories and you can follow their lives a little more... this one was lackluster and seemed to bounce around to various eras, which was a little confusing to say the least. The writing was decent, but also seemed to pepper in a lot of curse words or catchphrases just for show.
Pat
May 31, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I liked the individual stories of different characters and spread over the years of the Ya Yas.

The ending seemed somewhat contrived; but the Ya Yas deserved a happy ending.
amandra
Jul 05, 2015 amandra rated it it was amazing
I loved this whole series underneath all the craziness and issues the four ladies face this is a story of friendship and family teaching the lesson that family isn't always just blood.
Jill Porter
Mar 28, 2015 Jill Porter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This answers the questions that I had from the first book. Good book.
Ellie
Nov 11, 2016 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Wells creates vibrant character perspectives and showcases the time periods in her books masterfully. Even though her writings are quaint and make the mundane enchanting, there is a major family catastrophe towards the end of the book that added actual, visceral suspense.
Donna
Dec 31, 2016 Donna rated it liked it
fun to read more adventures of the ya yas, but the racist stuff is not.
Lori
Jan 03, 2017 Lori rated it it was ok
I liked the first novel, but this one was pretty lame. In almost all the chapters (it was in short story form) if it was from one of the kids' points of view, it felt like the kid was actually writing it, from his or her age. I felt like these chapters were written by 5-10 year olds. The best part was at the end, thankfully. I did like the final chapters.
Fiona
Dec 26, 2016 Fiona rated it liked it
I re-read the original Ya-Ya book last year so when I saw this one in my local Vinnies, I snapped it up. Also, started this book while at the beach and was perfect holiday reading.
It isn't as good as the original and isn't a flowing story but more chapters of separate stories with the same characters. That said the characters are all still great, funny and crazy.
An easy fun read but I think the original is better and probably bet read before this one.
Rebekah
Jan 04, 2010 Rebekah rated it liked it
Last night I finally finished Barbara Kingsolver’s The Poisonwood Bible and though I consider it a good thing to have read, it was not entirely my style. I am not in a heavy mood right now and the story of a missionaries family torn apart by themselves and the jungle in the Congo is not necessarily what I wanted to read.
But read it I did and so now I will let you know about it. 4 daughters and two parents head to the inner jungle to “convert the heathen.” I had mixed reactions to this sort of be
Nancy
Sep 21, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Ya gotta love the Ya Yas. A great read to take your mind off the world.
Reese
Mar 01, 2010 Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you happened to have noticed how long the status of YA-YAS IN BLOOM has been "currently reading," please don't imagine that this novel must not be interesting. If speed-reading were an Olympic event (in any season), I would qualify for participation in the Special Olympics. But enough about me, let's move on to my opinion. The book (get ready for a fresh phrase) is a "page-turner." (I just turn pages slowly.)

As someone who read Wells's LITTLE ALTARS EVERYWHERE and DIVINE SECRETS OF THE YA-YA
Hannah Rossi
Apr 30, 2016 Hannah Rossi rated it really liked it
Ya-Yas in Bloom is a collection of short stories about a group of four lifelong friends that refer to themselves as the “Ya-Yas”. The companion novel of the highly acclaimed Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, this book takes readers back to the roots of the Ya-Yas’ friendship, beginning in the 1930’s. From there, it follows Teensy, Necie, Vivi, and Caro as they dance their way through life, motherhood, and love.
While I was initially skeptical about this book, as it seemed as though it was
Andrea
Aug 23, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Ya-Ya book I have read and I must say I enjoyed this one almost as much as the original. I loved the stories of how the Ya-Yas first met and how even though they were so different from each other they were able to form a life long bond-perhaps because they could blackmail each other with all they knew. The personalities are a little over the top and it makes for some funny scenes-almost like "Mama's Family". I enjoy the southern dialect interspersed with Creole French and the d ...more
Max
May 28, 2014 Max rated it really liked it
I do NOT pay attention to how others review a book or what they say about it. If I did that, I definitely would have, and would, miss out on a lot that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed that others have not. This seems to be one of those books...

Picking up where the other two of Wells' left off, Ya-Yas In Bloom relates us more stories of Caro, Teensy, Necie and Vivi from childhood, adulthood, and in-between. There is no pattern, no rhyme or reason to how these stories are laid out--they just ar
Christy
Dec 15, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
I bought this book at the supermarket and was so excited to get home and read it that I didn't get half the items on my list and made my husband eat a tv dinner that night! That being said, I wish that I would have read reviews before I purchased full price for this book. I wish I could have gotten it out of the library instead and not wasted my money.

I adored Divine Secrets and Little Altars, so much that I continually reread them over the years. This one, though, leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Diane
Sep 01, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it
Meet the Ya Ya Sisterhood in their younger days. Ya Yas in Bloom starts in 1930 with Teensy being taken to the doctor because she has shoved a pecan up her nose. She meets Vivi there and her pecan becomes immortalized for all patients to see in the years to come.

Then Teensy and Vivi plot to meet Necie because they are sure she is the famed Coco Robichaux that Genevieve, Teensy’s mother, tells them about all the time. Caro is brought into the group and The Ya Ya Sisterhood is born and will remai
Marianne
Ya Yas in Bloom is the sequel to Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells. It doesn’t read like a sequel, however, but more like an expansion of what we learned about the Ya Yas and the Petites Ya Yas in Divine Secrets. The narrative jumps between Vivi’s early youth and the Ya Yas first encounter in 1930, through to Sidda’s youth in the 1960s and on to the 1990s. Different events in the lives of the Ya Yas, Petites Ya Yas and Trés Petites Ya Yas are told from the viewpoints of Viv ...more
Lindsay
May 01, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This book is better than "Little Altars Everywhere" and follows a timeline better but still lacks the outside storyline to justify the flashback/plot progression.

Since I just finished all three I'm going to cover the series all really quick.

Little Altars Everywhere is a terrible start to a series, at this point you don't know the characters and don't have a reason to care about them, the story line isn't there. It, like Ya-ya's in Bloom, is all about the side characters and relationships, as wel
world best astrologer specialist +91-9914703222 1 2 Jul 18, 2014 12:07AM
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • God Save the Sweet Potato Queens
  • We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Belle
  • The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • Sweetwater Creek
  • Holding My Breath
  • Standing in the Rainbow (Elmwood Springs, #2)
  • The Same Sweet Girls
  • On Leaving Charleston
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • Between, Georgia
  • Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears
  • On the Occasion of My Last Afternoon
Rebecca Wells was born and raised in Alexandria, Louisiana. “I grew up,” she says, “in the fertile world of story-telling, filled with flamboyance, flirting, futility, and fear.” Surrounded by Louisiana raconteurs, a large extended family, and Our Lady of Prompt Succor’s Parish, Rebecca’s imagination was stimulated at every turn. Early on, she fell in love with thinking up and acting in plays for ...more
More about Rebecca Wells...

Ya Yas (3 books)
  • Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood
  • Little Altars Everywhere

“Nothing picks me up quicker than a movie, a Coca-Cola, and a box of popcorn. I could walk in feeling like I didn't want to live anymore, and walk out on cloud nine.” 6 likes
“You can't let fear of hurricanes stop your from putting seeds in the ground, even if they're going to grow tall only to be destroyed.” 5 likes