Start by marking “Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County #1)” as Want to Read:
Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County #1)

Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  3,258 Ratings  ·  381 Reviews
When This Couple Gets to Courting, Sparks Will Fly!

In Paradise, Pennsylvania, Cate Miller is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance. Her sweet and flirty sister, Betsy, on the other hand, seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County!

But the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard-and-fast rule: older Cate must m
Published November 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Courting Cate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courting Cate

Nancee
Oct 22, 2012 Nancee rated it it was amazing
In Paradise, Pennsylvania 23-year-old Amish beauty, Cate Miller remains single and the talk of her community. Referred to as a shrew because of her irritable and stubborn nature, Cate has lost all hope of finding a husband. Her quick tongue, stubborn attitude and lack of proper domestic skills has turned every young bachelor against her. She would rather spend her free time reading books or working for her father than spending time cooking, cleaning, or in the sewing room. For Cate the only elig ...more
Jen
Jul 20, 2013 Jen rated it did not like it
Paula-O
Sep 13, 2012 Paula-O rated it it was amazing
Courting Cate by Leslie Gould

A story about sisters Cate and Betsy...
Cate was around 6 yrs old when Betsy was born and her Mother died shortly after, Cate always felt like she should take care of Betsy and even as a young child she took her job seriously helping out much with her Grandmothers help at first and then later taking full responsibility raising and loving this young sister. Many times the sister's wishes were taken care of before her own and Betsy come to rely on Cate.
Cate so sweet to
Kara
Apr 20, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading this author and I enjoyed it more than I expected to. I really felt the story was very accurate to Shakespeare's Taming the Shrew, but with younger characters. The book is filled with misunderstandings and hurts that do eventually get healed, but I was hoping the story would have more humor than it did. Also, the younger sister, Betsy, although very sweet, really annoyed me with her selfish ways. I'm glad Cate forgave her, but I had difficulty liking Betsy in this ...more
H
Oct 21, 2015 H rated it liked it
I thought the setting and the writing of this book were wonderful--so interesting!--and while Gould was occasionally wordy and repetitive, I felt like she had a really good voice and narration throughout and that she gave great insight into Amish life and culture and tradition without going overboard on description passages. The story itself was also good, though The Taming of the Shrew isn't my favorite Shakespeare play. The part I struggled with were the characters, probably everyone except fo ...more
Cyndi
Jun 03, 2014 Cyndi rated it liked it
I enjoyed the premise of Courting Cate being a take-off of The Taming of the Shrew. I liked that they were a little more "modern" than most Amish because of their business (I've often wondered if allowances were made sometimes in the Amish community because of that). I liked the way Cate softens by serving in a very difficult situation.

However, I did NOT like how wordy the author was throughout the book. Sometimes, in her attempt to explain the Amish way of life, etc., she went overboard. For e
ASC Book Reviews
Jan 04, 2013 ASC Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Taming of the Shrew and Amish fiction. So when I found a book that combined both of them I was SO excited!

Taming of the Shrew is my favorite Shakespearean work. I have always felt a connection to the character Kate, and the same is with Leslie's rendition. Actually I loved Courting Cate even more than Taming of the Shrew, because it is written in Cate's perspective. The kinship I have always felt with Cate grew by leaps and bounds while reading her thoughts and feelings. Lesl
Judy
Aug 26, 2013 Judy rated it really liked it
This book was a good read from beginning to end! I enjoyed this book so much. I haven't read an Amish fiction book quite like this one. I think that is why I liked it so much.

Cate Miller is one feisty gal. She has resigned herself to the fact that she will never marry. All the guys hang around her younger sister Betsy without giving Cate a second glance or so it seems. Perhaps her grumpy and grouchy attitude doesn't help. Maybe Pete Treger, from New York can soften Cate up, then again maybe not.
Rhonda Gayle
Oct 27, 2012 Rhonda Gayle rated it it was amazing
I can not say enough great things about Leslie Gould's Courting Cate. This was a fun and new sort of take on Amish fiction. I loved Cate and her spunky attitude. I just knew that she and Pete were meant to be together from their first awkward meeting. I did not feel so generous towards Pete's mamm, Esther, however. She grated on my nerves and irritated me to no end. But Cate handled that relationship in a unique and gracious manner also. Grab a hot cup of coffee and maybe even a piece of vinegar ...more
Amelia-Irene
Jan 02, 2017 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it
This reminded me of an Amish twisted Taming of the Shrew....
The younger sister while not a major character, was still a spoiled one...
Sheryl
Jun 18, 2014 Sheryl rated it really liked it
This is a new telling of The taming of the Shrew. Likable characters and very clean romance.
SheLove2Read
Jun 06, 2014 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Great read that made me really analyze what the female lead was feeling. I love books that make me think! 4.5 stars
Rachel Brand
GENRE: AMISH ROMANCE
PUBLISHER: BETHANY HOUSE
PUBLICATION DATE: NOVEMBER 01, 2012
RATING: 4.5 OUT OF 5 – EXCELLENT

PROS: Unique concept; Shakespearean play converted well to the Amish setting; first person point-of-view worked well; more of a story of self-discovery than a straight-forward romance

CONS: A couple of elements towards the end of the novel were concluded too easily and felt rushed

Having once been hurt by a man who wanted her money more than he wanted her love, Cate Miller has sworn off c
Gayle Pace
Jan 06, 2013 Gayle Pace rated it it was amazing
The Courtships of Lancaster County #1

BLURB: When this couple get to courting, sparks will fly!

But the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard-and-fast rule: Cate, as the oldest, must get married before Betsy can do so. Unfortunately, untamable Cate has dri
Victor Gentile
Nov 09, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Leslie Gould in her new book, “Courting Cate” Book One in The Courtships of Lancaster County series published by Bethany House takes us into the life of Cate Miller.

From the back cover: When This Couple Gets to Courting, Sparks Will Fly!

But the sisters’ weal
Brenda
Sep 11, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Cate Miller was seven years old when she sort of became a surrogate mother to her sister Betsy. Fast forward a few years Cate is 23 and Betsy is 17, and the two sisters are just about as different as can be. While Betsy likes to flirt and is the epitome of what the Amish bachelors in her area seem to be drawn to, Cate is totally opposite. She likes to read, doesn't cook very well, and has no problems speaking her mind. Really she isn't very interested in dating or marrying. Thing is her father s ...more
Nov 01, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: COURTING CATE
Author: Leslie Gould
Publisher: Bethany House
November 2012
ISBN: 978-0-7642-1031-0
Genre: Amish

Cate Miller has already run off all the men in Paradise, Pennsylvania with her sharp tongue and fiery temper. Her sweet and flirty sister, Betsy, on the other hand, seems to have attracted all the bachelors in Lancaster County.

But then, Cate’s wealthy father makes the humiliating announcement that Cate has to be courting before Betsy is allowed to court, and she must marry before Bets
Christian Fiction Addiction
Dec 06, 2012 Christian Fiction Addiction rated it it was amazing
Courting Cate is a wonderful addition to the Amish fiction genre. Within a few sentences, Cate Miller had already won my sympathies with the scene of being caught reading in bed as a child. Likely this is because I was the male version of Cate, forever being caught by my parents reading at night – without the candle, of course, as in Cate’s case! Cate is a complex character, shaped by a childhood that had very difficult moments as she was forced to become a mother to her younger sibling at a you ...more
Samantha Jo
Jan 05, 2013 Samantha Jo rated it it was amazing
As I sat down to read this book, I was rather certain of the course the storyline would take. Romantic Christian Fiction novels tend to end in much the same manner as the ten before. While the storyline is somewhat expected, I was surprised to find the usual “end” closer to the middle of the plot with lots of dips and spills to follow.

As far as Cate is concerned, I’ve found another kindred spirit. Her sharp words, practical ways, and strong will collided with mine, making us one in the same. It
Maureen Timerman
Sep 20, 2012 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Such a different Amish read. Once I started I didn't put it down until I finished! Loved it.
Cate has spent her life being a Mother to her sister Betsy. Their Mom died when Betsy was one day old. Could just picture the 7 year old bathing the new born. She knew what and how to do it, her Mom had kept her home from school for the last year of her life.
She loves Betsy and will do anything for her?? Well, when their Dad imposes a edict that Cate will need to marry before Betsy can, and she cannot go
Ruth Hill
Nov 17, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I have read plenty of Amish romances and fiction in recent times, and I generally love them and award them a 5-star rating with absolutely no trouble. Well, let me tell you something. This is by far one of the best Amish romance I have ever read! It was so different from the others I have read, and in a good way, too! I was drawn into the book from the very beginning, and at times, I was so into the book that I forgot where I was!

This is a unique Amish story. I don't want to give away any spoil
Dawn
Sep 01, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
I'm not one to read a lot of Amish fiction. In fact, this is the third one I've read ~ and the only one I've read by this author. I also must admit that I, more often than not, like Shakespeare. This is what got me into this book. Leslie Gould's book Courting Cate is actually based on Shakespeare's play, The Taming of the Shrew.

Another thing that got me reading this particular book, was that it was written from first person point of view. My favorite character perspective... because it's what I
Anne
May 06, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
Don't you just love this cover? I'm a highly visual person, so when I first saw it I was intrigued. The author paints some lovely word pictures of the countryside but the story didn't pan out exactly like I expected. About a third of the way through I was thinking that Cate was a real biddy. I wasn't liking her or the story at all. Courting Cate is sort of an Amish retelling of The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare. I continued to read until the half way point, maybe a little more, but ...more
Shannah Mauney
Sep 09, 2013 Shannah Mauney rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewd-on-blog
Courting Cate was my first experience with Leslie Gould and it won't be my last. This was a unique Amish novel, written in first perspective. To date, I have not come across another Amish novel written the same. Cate is also an anomaly to most Amish stories I've read. Learning to trust God with your live, love, and everything is hard. But that's what he wants. Mistrust turns to trust, Cold and Callous turns to warm and joyful in Christ, and love conquers all in this sweet Amish romance.

See my fu
Becky
Nov 15, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I was so engrossed in this book that I stayed up 'til almost midnight (on a weeknight!). I could really relate to Cate - her talents & interests are very similar to mine. The description of Amish & Mennonite lifestyle is fascinating - sounds so much more satisfactory than the "Englisch" ( I don't think I spelled that right). The parallel to the famous Shakespearean "Taming of the Shrew" was spot on :). Sweet!!
Jill
I am so delighted with this book! Leslie Gould writes in a masterful 1st-person POV, creating a strong protagonist in Cate Miller and portraying amazingly realistic relationships in this Amish setting. I can so relate to Cate's tendency to speculate and jump to conclusions, and the consequences of her behavior are all too real! The various family/friend relationships and misunderstandings are marvelous, as is the understated romance. Highly recommended. :-)
Amy
Dec 27, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, amish-stories
I liked how throughout the story you can really watch Cate change and grow personally and rely and trust God to help her through. And Pete and kind and so patient. Cate's sister, Betsy, I just had to shake my head at her selfishness and immaturity...
Over all, good story, and hopefully I'll find the rest of the series to read someday.
Heatherhh
Mar 08, 2017 Heatherhh rated it really liked it
The characters are very engaging. There were some points where decisions or changes of heart were too sudden for me to find them completely believable. But the story was written in an enjoyable way that made me willing to ignore it when I normally wouldn't. But that is why the story is 4-star and not 5.
Susan Tietjen
Oct 30, 2016 Susan Tietjen rated it liked it
I liked learning about Amish life, but I had a hard time liking the characters. It may just be me rather than the author, but I really disliked Betsey and I thought the community came across as both extremely judgemental, even beyond what I would expect of their people, but also unpredictable and unfair. That made me not sure I could trust the author to deliver the story.
Janet
Sep 13, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I am between liking it and very much liking it.

There were parts I really liked, and then there were time I needed to put it down and walk away.

I loved Cate's spirit and how her relationship with Pete grew from the beginning. I was unimpressed with the selfishness of her sister and how she always seemed to get her way.

Clean Fiction: Discussion of January 2015's Additional Group Read 2 3 Jun 24, 2014 05:42PM
Unique Amish read 4 28 May 29, 2014 02:23PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #66 - Courting Cate 1 1 Apr 23, 2014 02:00PM
Fans of Amish Fic...: June's Book - Courting Cate by Leslie Gould 31 35 Jul 07, 2013 06:09AM
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)
  • The Haven (Stoney Ridge Seasons #2)
  • Autumn Winds (Seasons of the Heart #2)
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • An Uncommon Grace
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • The Amish Seamstress
  • A Home for Lydia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #2)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1)
  • An Amish Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #3)
  • Annie's Truth (Touch of Grace, #1)
Leslie Gould is the #1 bestselling and Christy Award winning author of twenty-two novels. She received her MFA from Portland State University and teaches writing at Warner Pacific College. Leslie enjoys traveling, hiking, and history. She and her husband, Peter, are the revolving-door parents of four children and three cats. Visit her at http://www.lesliegould.com/.
More about Leslie Gould...

The Courtships of Lancaster County (4 books)
  • Adoring Addie (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Minding Molly (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #3)
  • Becoming Bea (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #4)

“Where two raging fires meet together, they do consume the thing that feeds their fury.” 0 likes
“Was a good read. Takes place in Lancaster County Pa. I have always wanted to visit there.” 0 likes