Start by marking “Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography” as Want to Read:
Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography

Vincent Price: A Daughter's Biography

Vincent Price is a true Hollywood legend, whose vast and distinguished career-as the voice of The Saint on the radio, in such unforgettable films as House of Wax and The Fly, and on the Broadway stage-spanned more than a half-century. In addition to being an icon of stage and screen large and small, Price was also an avid art collector, a gourmand, a dashing and relentless ...more
Published October 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1999)

Kim
Aug 15, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of sitting at a nearby booth to Ms. Price at World Horror Convention. She's a lovely lady and so when my husband surprised me with an autographed copy of this book for my birthday, I was thrilled.

I have to confess I had a difficult time reading this while on a trip because everywhere I went, people saw the cover and wanted to talk about the book. I had to wait until I got home to really dive in.

Not only is this biography about the accomplishments of the inc
Bryan Cebulski
Price was high-class as shit in the worst ways (basically none of the achievements and experiences of his early life would have been possible without lots and lots of financial backing from family, the sections on art appreciation are the most tedious of the whole book, and his constantly complaining about money while buying huge houses and expensive art is infuriating), but this book is at its best when it works as a means to tell significant pieces of Hollywood history. You get bits from the g ...more
Kevin
Sep 01, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
There are several other excellent biographies on Price, but this masterful book will be THE definative biography that current and future fans will go back to to understand and appreciate the man. Price's daughter is a wonderful writer and superb historian. With access to two nearly-completed (but never published) memoirs penned by her father, her book brings her father's eloquent voice alive with his own words. But she also talks to numerous contemporaries so the book is an objective biography a ...more
Drew
Aug 15, 2016 Drew rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
This book is better than I was expecting, even if it skirts around a few things. (Who was that hunky gardener living over the garage?!) Price lived a pretty interesting life, and was behind some novel cultural enterprises such as The Vincent Price Collection (which brought art to the masses via Sears Roebuck) and "A Treasury of Great Recipes" (an early example of the celebrity cookbook).
Bev
Aug 11, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful biography! I loved watching Vincent Price movies as I grew up and picked this book up at the library out of nostalgia more than anything. But this has now become one of my all-time favorite biographies. Four and a half stars.
Brittany Z
Nov 12, 2015 Brittany Z rated it really liked it
This is definitely a very comprehensive biography of Vincent Price. His daughter has done a ton of research into finding out more about her father and there are lots of details in the book, such as heartfelt letters between him and his parents or women he was hooking up with. Price really lived an extraordinary life and not only because he was an incredible actor in the golden era of Hollywood. As the grandson of the guy that invented baking soda and the son of the candy king of St. Louis, he li ...more
Benjamin Featherston
Jun 16, 2013 Benjamin Featherston rated it it was ok
As a fan of Vincent Price's films, I had high expectations for this book. Instead, the book languished in my e-reader for months. The main reason was Victoria Price's uninspired writing. Her prose is bland, devoid of any true enthusiasm for storytelling or literary flare. Even her best anecdotes lack colour and substance. She also does not seem to know what Price fans would want in a biography. While most of Price's beloved films get scarcely a mention, his stage roles are outlined in excruciati ...more
Mark Singer
Jun 02, 2010 Mark Singer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of Vincent Price
Recommended to Mark by: no one
Shelves: biography
I always liked Vincent Price, and picked up this biography by his daughter Victoria shortly after it was published. Price was a complex man, who despite his long acting career never lost his initial love for art (he was an Art History major at Yale) and became an advocate for art education. Although the author shows his life, warts and all, it's not a "Daddy Dearest" expose but a balanced biography of a horror movie icon.

Although typecast in his later years as a horror film actor, Price never f
Leelan
Sep 06, 2016 Leelan added it
Shelves: biography
So far it's a good read. Sometimes I can even hear Vincent's voice when his daughter quotes him.

Very sad that he left his wife for a controlling b!@#$ at 51. He lost many friends and almost lost his family because of her jealousy. Thankfully he had a few years left after she died to try to make amends.
Jaime Contreras
Aug 02, 2013 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
Vincent Price's daughter, Victoria has written a touching and warm biography her father, Vincent Price, the Hollywood icon and acting legend. in a career that spanned from the 1930s through the 1990s, Mr. Price showed style and total commitment to his craft. he was also an incredible gourmet, an artist and a renown collector of art (mainly Meso-American). This is a beautifully-inspired and written biography.
Alohatiki
Jun 09, 2008 Alohatiki rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Vincent Price? He is a great cult figure but beyond that a very interesting man. A serious art collector, cook, actor and author, it is kinda of amazing of all the things he did.

The book is great for reading about old Hollywood and it is kinda stunning all the famous people he knew.

The small type makes for slow reading but still worth it.
Tom Nerwinski
Feb 23, 2015 Tom Nerwinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary man

"A man who limits his interests limits his life." A truer lesson has never been taught. A bittersweet biography of a horror icon that I love that shows that he was so much more.
Marsmannix
Jan 07, 2013 Marsmannix rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
this exquisitely detailed book floats on the undercurrent of a daughter's love and grief for her famous father's amazing life and mistakes.
Any fan of Vincent Price must read this. I marvel that Mr Price made such an egregious error in mid-life, having an affair with and marrying the greedy grasping Coral Browne.
Angie
Oct 22, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing
I was never a huge fan of Vincent Price. But, I had heard an interview or review about this book on KMOX and decided to give the book a read. The author made me care about Mr. Price. I was honored to share in his life story with his daughter, the author. Very, very good.
Nicole
May 25, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough but rightfully so; Price lead a full and incredibly fascinating life. This was so awesome to read as a Price fan. Truly one of the more informative bio's I've read. I applaud Victoria for being able to write as a biographer and a daughter. A must read!
D.c.
Jun 22, 2012 D.c. rated it it was amazing
Excellent and comprehensive bio. Surprisingly objective view from a family member. If you love Vincent, this book will give you reason to love his memory all the more, despite his flaws and shortcomings. GREAT Summer read!
Dave Lipscomb
Jul 06, 2015 Dave Lipscomb rated it really liked it
A thoroughly detailed and touching biography of my favorite actor of all time. Through his daughter's eyes and research, I actually feel like I've lived Vincent Price's entire life through her.
Shae
Feb 28, 2008 Shae rated it liked it
I liked learning a little more about one of my favorite all time actors but I think if you arn't a huge fan the story could be a tad long winded in it's telling.
Linda
Apr 02, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok
Rather boring account of the actor's life written by his daughter. Alot of facts written without engaging the readers interest. Ho-hum read.
Shana Hampton
Aug 02, 2012 Shana Hampton rated it really liked it
Not a perfect but thoroughly enjoyable. I have a newfound respect for a man I've always loved.
Katharine Holden
Enjoyable, non-gossipy read. Well-written.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Sep 13, 2007 Aaron the Pink Donut rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Well written and wonderfully entertaining.
M. Martin
M. Martin rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Sandy Carter
Sandy Carter rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
HarlotRusse
HarlotRusse marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Chloe Bragg
Chloe Bragg marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
M Wood
M Wood is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2016
  • Bogart
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • No Bed Of Roses
  • The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir
  • Dark Carnival: The Secret World of Tod Browning, Hollywood's Master of the Macabre
  • She Always Knew How: A Personal Biography of Mae West
  • The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre
  • From Sawdust to Stardust: The Biography of DeForest Kelley
  • Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
Victoria Price is a short story and fiction writer who focuses on women and women’s perspectives in her writing. She has written most of her life in one form or another and reading is her favorite pastime. She loves romance and comedy, both in real life and fiction. One of her favorite quotes is “What is life without love and laughter?” She lives in Michigan with her family and her dog.
More about Victoria Price...